my homeschooled kid

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MamaSheepdog":2zwqniw6 said:
cmfarm":2zwqniw6 said:
There have been studies that show that people with it have brains that are different.

Again, quoting from the same book:

Some medical professionals, mental health professionals, organizations, and government agencies claim that ADHD is a biologically-based and valid mental disease. In November, 1998, the National Institute of Health (NIH) held its NIH Consensus Development conference on "The Diagnosis and Treatment of Attention Deficit and Hyperactivity Disorder". Dr. James Swanson, Ph.D., Professor of Pedatrics at the University of Irvine, Ca. was given the task of proving that there was a biological basis for ADHD. In his presentation, Swanson showed many brain scan slides of children who allegedly had ADHD, and whose brain scans were different from normal children.

Here's what happened next:

...Then a child neurologist in the audience raised a telling point. He noted that psychiatric drugs are very toxic to a child's brain. Then he asked Swanson "How many of the children with brain abnormalities had been previously exposed to psychiatric drugs?" Swanson was forced to admit that all of the children had. Then the devastating follow up question "How could you withhold such vital information from your presentation?" Swanson made no direct reply.

-------------------------------------------------------

Another excerpt:

Let me quote Mr. Blumenfield again on this issue:

There must be something wrong with an education system that requires so many children to be drugged just to attend school.

Last year I spent a week in Beijing, China. During that week I visited a school where I was able to observe about 500 children doing their morning physical exercises in the school yard. I asked my host how many of the children were on Ritalin. He asked what was Ritalin. He had never heard of it. In short, in China they don't have ADD and they don't drug schoolchildren.

Are American children more mentally handicapped than Chinese children? Are they afflicted with a mental disease that is more prevalent in the U.S. than anywhere else on the globe?

Well, a lot has happened since 1998, that was 17 years ago. And just because they don't use Ritalin doesn't mean they don't use other knids of medication (Ritalin isn't the only medication used for ADHD). It may be true, but the way it is written makes me question the source. "In short, in China they don't have ADD and they don't drug schoolchildren." How did he reach this conclusion? Based on the fact that they don't know what Ritalin is?

I'm not really worried about the Chinese kids...they might behave for fear of getting physically punished for all I know. (As was common in US schools before Ritalin and other head-drugs)

__________ Mon Mar 30, 2015 2:06 pm __________

and never lie to the child,for any reason, [but especially about religion or fairy tails like Santa Claws]- they will somehow know something is wrong with this, it will be like a splinter in their mind, aggravating them until they solve the riddle.-- and when they discover that you have lied, you will never be able to give them advise , or have their trust again.

I felt betrayed that she had lied to me about it, even though I knew it was in the spirit of 'fun'. I do realize this is never an issue for MOST families and kids eventually just 'get it' and never care that their parents told this 'white lie' to create the 'magic of xmas' or whatever... but it was a deep betrayal for ME and taught me that my parents would lie to me.

I remember that feeling of betrayal strongly to this day. (and I'm 32!)
It came shortly before the realization that my mother was also into crystal meth. (Back when it was still called that, instead of just "meth." We were in San Diego in the late 80's early 90's.)

I think a lot of the homeschooling parents have experienced things a little differently than others, which is why they form a (deviant) minority that is willing to risk social disapproval by refusing to allow their children to be institutionalized.

Such things are rarely done without motivation. The look of horror you see in the eyes of a homeschooling parent when public school is mentioned...compared to "fond memories" other folks may have...

It strongly suggests that not everyone experienced things the same.

I win the socializing argument easily, since I can use myself as an example. No amount of forced attendance would or had ever helped my case in the slightest.
(To claim that I felt a little damaged from the experience would be a gross understatement.)

People can easily see that my children are already much more confident and "social" than I was, or had ever been. (Due to the natural confidence you find in children with strong family support, no doubt.)

They just can't look me in the eyes and argue the point, because I'm living proof that "socialization" based on forced attendance simply does not work. :lol:

I guess that isn't even a good point though, since I would NOT WANT that for my children.

I remember having an argument with one of the Grandmas:

"They will eventually be singled out by other students here, Grandma, because they WILL be unusual. I'm weird, and their father is weird and we would be extremely disappointed if our kids learned to behave like AVERAGE children. " :p

I think ADD and ADHD is very over diagnosed these days and kids being medicated is not a good idea unless it's severe and they actually do and FEEL better on it. My niece struggled in school but found coping mechanisms and got through with decent enough grades. She had classic ADD symptoms and although it was pointed out throughout her schooling, she's a relatively happy and well adjusted kid. She just needs to study in short bursts and take breaks between subjects.

This past year in high school SHE decided she wanted to see a counselor because she was having trouble studying for more than a few minutes at a time and some of her classes were too hard to absorb enough to do well in her short study times. She said "I think I need more than study tricks, mom". She went over all the coping methods and she eventually weighed the pros and cons and ended up with a low dose medication that she feels she does better on. I have no issues with that at all. My sister listened to her, and took her off the first medication when she said she felt "like I'm a walking dead" lol. She's doing a lot better with grades and with the second medication she says it just takes the edge off her mind wandering but doesn't change her moods.

So yeah. ADD and ADHD definitely exists, but I'm not sure medication that can have drastic effects on brain function is a good idea for young children. It CAN be helpful for kids that are acutely aware of symptoms, side effects, and mood swings and have the ability to communicate that to a parent... and parents that are willing to advocate for the child with their doctors or psychiatrists to make sure they have the lowest dose necessary to take the edge off the ADD/ADHD while keeping the kid feeling like themselves.

Zass":2newnrfx said:
"They will eventually be singled out by other students here, Grandma, because they WILL be unusual. I'm weird, and their father is weird and we would be extremely disappointed if our kids learned to behave like AVERAGE children. " :p

Beautiful!!!

We, too, celebrate our weirdness ;) makes it a little awkward for my kid when he hangs around with public school kids because he's so far outside of their box, but that's ok. They tend to like him more than not even so.

My husband's mother is always horrified by our NEVER LIE TO THE KIDS policy.

We were treated like monsters because we didn't do the Santa and Easter bunny stuff with them.

Essentially more social pressure, and deviant behavior in the form of refusal to play along.

Well, guess what? Refusing to use illegal drugs is also DEVIANT behavior for both working class youth and adults here. :eek:

Even in the factory where my husband works, over 75% of employees and management are known to use controlled substances. (It's not even a hidden behavior, so it was easy to tally.)

If that is normal for my social class...I don't want it. :|

Syberchick70":3be78h61 said:
Darned right, Zass!!! :D
I wish some of you folk lived closer... you would be fun to hang out with ;)

IRL...I'm quite shy and awkward...sometimes.
In the right social situation, I can be confident and outgoing, even bossy, and I'm always ODD.

It's more fair to say, I'm useless socially unless it's in a goal driven setting.
I can't just "chat," I need a focus to be working towards.

Just ask Smara. :lol: But we do have some great "Rabbit geek out" visits.

I used to be shy and awkward. I'm not anymore. I finally decided that I just don't give a darn what people think about me, as long as I'm being a good person I have nothing to worry about. ;)

Now, I hang out with the weirdos and freaks, but nearly all of my friends have moved far away now... uh... it had nothing to do with ME, I swear... :shock: :shock: at least I don't think it did... :lol:

Syberchick70":3un4vjt7 said:
Dyslexics, untie!! :lol:
(Old, but makes me chuckle every time I see it)
BAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!! :p

Zass":3un4vjt7 said:
IRL...I'm quite shy and awkward...sometimes.
In the right social situation, I can be confident and outgoing, even bossy, and I'm always ODD.
Syberchick70":3un4vjt7 said:
I used to be shy and awkward. I'm not anymore. I finally decided that I just don't give a darn what people think about me, as long as I'm being a good person I have nothing to worry about. ;)

Now, I hang out with the weirdos and freaks, but nearly all of my friends have moved far away now... uh... it had nothing to do with ME, I swear... :shock: :shock: at least I don't think it did... :lol:
I'm shy and a little awkward, until you get me on one of my favorite subjects. Movies, TV shows, books. I could talk all day about old TV like Emergency!, Dragnet, Adam-12, The Rebel, or Batman :lol: . But if the other person brings up Walking Dead :sick: or something else modern, I sorta retreat and hide behind "Uh, yeah, I don't watch that, I don't know much of anything about it". :roll:

Music is one of my favorite subjects, too, but it's more difficult because nobody knows who I'm talking about.

Example:

Me:
Tobymac
White Heart
The Newsboys
Margaret Becker
Twila Paris
dcTalk

Them:
Lady Gaga
Carrie Underwood
Taylor Swift
Justin Beiber
Miley Cyrus
1D

:?

Syberchick70":126ziats said:
Zass":126ziats said:

Beautiful!!!

We, too, celebrate our weirdness ;) makes it a little awkward for my kid when he hangs around with public school kids because he's so far outside of their box, but that's ok. They tend to like him more than not even so.

The 2 "children" [21 and 25 years old] that are still at home with My wife and I, were home schooled also, but not because they were "gifted" in fact they have learning disabilities, and one, severe OCD . They have progressed very well in a home environment and now have jobs and are integrating into society on their terms.
My wife had decided to home School them before I met her,[18 years ago] so I can claim no credit for the decision. But I supported the decision - I still remember and cherish the the day my daughter went out into the yard after a rain ,sat on the ground and put mud all over herself, [she was very afraid of germs and dirt, and compulsively washed herself] she said-- "what is the worst that can happen, I could get sick and die, - so what-- I can't live like this either I am not going to be afraid any more" -- now-a-days, she is also a great musician, a very good cook at a restaurant, and makes very logical, and sound decisions. Her OCD has turned into compulsive work ethic, and she is a very valuable part of our home and loved by her employers [who wish they had a few more like her]
Sometimes home school is the best environment for children who are not "academically gifted" also

michaels4gardens":109yarjq said:
I still remember and cherish the the day my daughter went out into the yard after a rain ,sat on the ground and put mud all over herself, [she was very afraid of germs and dirt, and compulsively washed herself] she said-- "what is the worst that can happen, I could get sick and die, - so what-- I can't live like this either I am not going to be afraid any more" -- now-a-days, she is also a great musician, a very good cook at a restaurant, and makes very logical, and sound decisions. Her OCD has turned into compulsive work ethic, and she is a very valuable part of our home and loved by her employers [who wish they had a few more like her]
Sometimes home school is the best environment for children who are not "academically gifted" also

Thank you for sharing that beautiful moment with us :) She sounds like a wonderful young lady and hooray for giving her the environment she needed to thrive! :)

Syberchick70":3aypcmc1 said:
Well, I'm not familiar with your music listings either... what genre are they?
Christian rock and pop.

Tobymac does some great pop-rock-hip-hop, White Heart's harmony is breathtaking despite their being a hard rock band, and Twila Paris and Margaret Becker have amazing voices. The Newsboys and dcTalk are really awesome.

Maybe, possibly, you have heard of Michael W. Smith? Or maybe Stephen Curtis Chapman? Maybe? :oops:

Galadriel":a647eodb said:
Syberchick70":a647eodb said:
Well, I'm not familiar with your music listings either... what genre are they?
Christian rock and pop.

Tobymac does some great pop-rock-hip-hop, White Heart's harmony is breathtaking despite their being a hard rock band, and Twila Paris and Margaret Becker have amazing voices. The Newsboys and dcTalk are really awesome.

Maybe, possibly, you have heard of Michael W. Smith? Or maybe Stephen Curtis Chapman? Maybe? :oops:

Ah ok, that explains it... not a genre I would listen to. ;)

Those names don't sound familiar either, but it's possible I've heard them. I'm really bad with names (including band, artist & song names). Some of my favorite musicians aren't exactly mainstream either, but they're probably pretty different from what you're used to listening to.

Here's a song from a couple of chicks I really like, they call themselves 'Rising Appalachia' (or RISE for short) http://risingappalachia.bandcamp.com/track/medicine

Latest posts

Back