my homeschooled kid

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Miss M":2hz63qtz said:
mystang89":2hz63qtz said:
That's amazing! My 7 year old can read pretty well for his age but his regurgitating what he just read or really understanding it hasn't matured yet.
Comprehension and the ability to use and apply what he reads will come. :)

For Bunny-Wan Kenobi, the key was to find a genre that piqued his interest. It wasn't easy, but we finally did. It made him really want to "get it", and that helped him develop his comprehension in other areas.

I agree 100%. My son really took off on his reading when he got into Minecraft / Survivalcraft. He had to read to play the games. He has learned a lot just from playing games. :)

mystang89":1m0hb9uv said:
That's amazing! My 7 year old can read pretty well for his age but his regurgitating what he just read or really understanding it hasn't matured yet.
I had that problem some also-- but then I got the boys [age 6 and 8] an old VW to fix and drive around the farm, -- they got the books they needed to work on the car-- and they sure were able to comprehend the things they were interested in.

JenerationX":lk7lcgvc said:
When I was growing up... our games were just text on the screen.

When I was growing up.... our games were playing in the woods. ;)

We DID have a few computer games (if you count console games, like Atari as 'computer'). Frogger! :lol: That stuff came out when I was probably close to 10 years old. <br /><br /> __________ Sat Apr 11, 2015 11:45 am __________ <br /><br />
JenerationX":lk7lcgvc said:

Wow! An online version!! :D Too cool!
Thanks for sharing that, it's like a birthday present :)

I loved Pitfall Harry!!! I was around that same age when that stuff was popular.

If you play the online version of Hitchhiker's register with the site up at the top so you can save and restore.... well, if you kill yourself as much as I do anyway. lol

JenerationX":1emezal2 said:
I loved Pitfall Harry!!! I was around that same age when that stuff was popular.

If you play the online version of Hitchhiker's register with the site up at the top so you can save and restore.... well, if you kill yourself as much as I do anyway. lol

I didn't know how to register, totally need to. Ack!! :D

You're not gonna believe this, but I like Galaga and Bosnian. And Pacman. There was another that started with an X, but I can't remember...... I don't particularly like Mappy, though. Annoying music. Go Atari! :videogames:

Galadriel":39eppiqc said:
You're not gonna believe this, but I like Galaga and Bosnian. And Pacman. There was another that started with an X, but I can't remember...... I don't particularly like Mappy, though. Annoying music. Go Atari! :videogames:

Fun stuff! Love some of the old school games :) Games these days hardly challenge people to think!

Galadriel, You can play a few ATARI games in browser here https://www.atari.com/arcade#!/arcade/atari-promo

Syberchick70, yes. I miss the games where it took days and days to figure out how to get through something. You'd get on the bus and tell friends what you tried, and they told you what they tried, and then you'd go home with a new idea to get past that part. The newer games are just killing stuff and not that imaginative.

I did do the Final Fantasy, Aion, and Guild Wars thing online for several years each.... but never really got into getting groups of people together to go kill stuff. I enjoyed the adventure and story parts a whole lot more. I miss Myst and Riven.

JenerationX":zclnv3sq said:
I enjoyed the adventure and story parts a whole lot more. I miss Myst and Riven.

Same here. I played WoW, Everquest (evercrack), Guild Wars.... I somewhat enjoyed them, until they (inevitably) got to the point wether you had to join groups to do the quests. That was always a bummer.

Myst was awesome... I got through that one on my own. I don't like it when a puzzle requires somethings so specific that it's impossible to figure out unless you 'cheat'. That's no fun.

The game I got into the deepest, was a MUD called Achaea. If you want an immersive game, go check it out. It's text based.

Well that and the old Might and Magic series, and Daggerfall series. :D

JenerationX":1kftx7vq said:
I did do the Final Fantasy, Aion, and Guild Wars thing online for several years each.... but never really got into getting groups of people together to go kill stuff. I enjoyed the adventure and story parts a whole lot more. I miss Myst and Riven.
Syberchick70":1kftx7vq said:
Same here. I played WoW, Everquest (evercrack), Guild Wars.... I somewhat enjoyed them, until they (inevitably) got to the point wether you had to join groups to do the quests. That was always a bummer.

Myst was awesome... I got through that one on my own. I don't like it when a puzzle requires somethings so specific that it's impossible to figure out unless you 'cheat'. That's no fun.

The game I got into the deepest, was a MUD called Achaea. If you want an immersive game, go check it out. It's text based.

Wow, what're those? They sound cool! :p

Galadriel, You can play a few ATARI games in browser here https://www.atari.com/arcade#!/arcade/atari-promo

Awesome! Thanks, JenX!

I miss the games where it took days and days to figure out how to get through something. You'd get on the bus and tell friends what you tried, and they told you what they tried, and then you'd go home with a new idea to get past that part. The newer games are just killing stuff and not that imaginative.

Yeah, Assasin's Creed, Call of Duty 1, 2, and 3, World of Warcraft... all the rage. :? I don't play them. :roll:

Galadriel":2i7rj0rh said:
Syberchick70":2i7rj0rh said:

Wow, what're those? They sound cool! :p

Ahhh... well... :D

Achaea - http://www.achaea.com/signup/one

Might and Magic - http://www.mobygames.com/game-group/might-and-magic-series

Daggerfall - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Elder_Scrolls

Note: You can find some of the old versions of Daggerfall and Might and Magic to download for free... they're pretty cheesy, but FUN (old school dungeon crawler adventure games). ;)

LOL, thanks, Syberchick! By the way, who here also loved it when Google came out with the ability to play "Pacman" on their maps!?! :judges:

Galadriel":t3lk6uaz said:
Thanks, Syberchick! I think you got Mom interested in these when you mentioned "text-based"! :lol:

Achaea is text based, but I do need to mention that it's an adult game. I probably should have mentioned that before, but it didn't occur to me. What I mean is, it's not, necessarily terribly vulgar. In fact, they may not allow cursing, I don't remember, but there are opportunities to be in rather adult situations. Your mom will need to use her judgment if you want to play that one. ;)

Myst was one of the first adventure / puzzle games with 3D graphics... came out originally in 1991, amazing for its time. Riven is more of the same... there's a story and people you have to talk to and ask the right questions, then solve puzzles. You play a stranger that arrives on an island and find a book... missing pages and unclear. You have to complete the book and solve the story. Zero cursing or any graphic violence. You really have to use your mind to get through it. I highly recommend it.

The 20th anniversary version came out a few years ago. It's on IOS or PC. http://cyan.com/games/realmyst-masterpiece-edition/ Their other games are at the bottom under "games"... I haven't played the others, but Myst, Riven, and Uru were all a great time on a rainy day.

I agree, you can't go wrong with myst. It's a great game that forces you to use your noggin. I would let my kid play it, but it's probably too difficult for him being just 8 yrs old. I think he would get frustrated and quit.

Syberchick70":2ce2uaej said:
I agree, you can't go wrong with myst. It's a great game that forces you to use your noggin. I would let my kid play it, but it's probably too difficult for him being just 8 yrs old. I think he would get frustrated and quit.

It irritated the heck out of me at times, and I was 17 when it came out. :lol:

Latest posts

Back