Lost nursing doe due to blockage

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Preitler

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
That's a first for me in 12 years of breeding rabbits, I had several stasis episodes in my herd and am well familiar with the first signs and symptoms, this was different.

My youngest doe Lotte, just a year old and nursing a 10 day old litter of 11, didn't show any signs I'm aware of. But when she ignored her outmeal yesterday noon all alarm bells went off, I started to give her massages, water, Simethicon and Meloxicam, enticed her to eat stuff - and it seemed to work. She drank a lot, saw her three times down by the brook. But she didn't eat by herself, and even when syringe fed less and less - which is atypical, normally when I get them to eat the worst is over. Through the night she became more and more lethargic and blaoted, unfortunatly my local vet was not available sunday morning. Had to bike to the company where I work, borrow the van and go to a vet clinic. Was there at noon, by then it was too late, after the x-ray that showed that nothing left the stomach they tried surgery but the intestines were already damaged.
She was rather skinny, but very energetic and a good, protective mum.

The kits are fine, even after missing two meals they look good. Started to feed the Condensed Goat Milk/egg yolk/honey formula, well, takes at least an hour every time. First I fed 1ml, second time 1.5ml. Not sure what a good amount is, and if 3 times a day is enough, but I guess it's better to not overdo it at the start.
At 11 days all have their eyes open and start to venture out of the nest - pretty early in my experience.

good job with the kits. I'd start feeding them a wee bit of hay already. (assuming you were feeding hay to the doe). I've had the best success saving kits when they are about three-four weeks old adding a soft-tempered older kit to the mix a week or two older. Seems to help get them going better.

You may wish to consider never breeding rabbits that ever show signs of stasis. I used to have it in my herd and now I rarely (if ever) see it since I got super strict about what I will breed.

Well, it's not like my rabbits were prone to stasis, but it can happen when buns get older, mostly during molting season. Currently my oldest is 10, her mother died last year at 11 (very first rabbit I got). My breeders remain active for 5-7 years, then get retired and live out their lifes as aunties to the litters, a little relief for the mothers.
I guess those episodes would sort itself out in most cases, but I'm a bit paranoid about that.

The kits are still in their nestbox, in the hutch with 2 older does (10 and 5) and 4 13 week old doelings, and have access to hay,forage and water 24/7. I also put a little dish with oatmeal and pellets into the nestbox (those don't last outside where the others are).

Looking good so far, most have figured out that the syringe is a good thing, only 2 or 3 are still putting up some fight.

Kits are doing great :). By now I feed 3ml 3 times a day, I think that's a good amount. They would gobble down more, but since this is enough for them to thrive I'm not risking filling them up to the brim. They really got the hang of it by now, and feeding all of them takes appr. half an hour now.

They already use the water bowl, and they became a little menace to the 3mo doelings, trying to nurse :D, the 2 older does seemingly know how to not be bothered.

Attachments

• Lotte Wurf2 1-5-2024.jpg
    Lotte Wurf2 1-5-2024.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 0
Kits are doing great :). By now I feed 3ml 3 times a day, I think that's a good amount. They would gobble down more, but since this is enough for them to thrive I'm not risking filling them up to the brim. They really got the hang of it by now, and feeding all of them takes appr. half an hour now.

They already use the water bowl, and they became a little menace to the 3mo doelings, trying to nurse :D, the 2 older does seemingly know how to not be bothered.
Nice job on helping them along!!! :love:

If they're bothering the young does a lot trying to nurse, you might consider upping their supplement a little. They do eat more as they get bigger, and it looks like they might be a little hollow (I can see their hips in the photo). Although maybe that's what your rabbits usually look like? Mine usually look like feeder pigs. :)

When I've had to feed/supplement bunnies, I've given them as much as they wanted at each feeding; they seemed to know when enough was enough and would stop of their own volition when they'd had their fill.

Ok, thanks for that info, so it is safe to give them more. Now they try to swallow the syringe whole when it's empty. Will increase the amount gradually til they explode :D.

It's incredible how fast they grow and develope, when I started they had just opened their eyes, teetering around on wobbly baby legs, now they are quick as mice and are noticeable bigger.
Just enjoying the moment and not thinking about the future, usually I try to avoid getting too close to them...

Well, 10 left, one died today after detoriating for about 24h, first sign was that it took 1/3 less milk then the others, didn't want any at the next, got bloated and had a little diarrhia.

They are 20 days old now, and I'm not increasing their milk ration any more, I'm at about 8-9ml now, or as much until the first time they take their mouth off the syringe. A doe wouldn't ramp up milk production according to kit size either, and they already nibble on hay and greens.

Also, the cans I have will last til dthey are a little over 4 weeks, can't get evaporated goat milk here but ordered some goat milk powder. Need to start a seperate thread on that...

And I got another litter of 5 from my older doe Ruth, found one kit cold outside the nest but alive, warmed it up (30°C water and plastic bag) and put it back in the nest. Unfortunatly this litter is from the wrong buck, well, lets see how they turn out. Since Lotte died, and Ruth is 5 already it's time to select two new breeding does.

Well, 10 left, one died today after detoriating for about 24h, first sign was that it took 1/3 less milk then the others, didn't want any at the next, got bloated and had a little diarrhia.
Can you get Fibreplex where you are? You might be able to find it on Amazon.
It's a high-fibre paste with pre and probiotics, and can literally keep rabbits with digestive problems alive. When I hand-reared my orphan babies last year I added it to their milk from the start. Now they're fully grown they're very healthy and have never had any kind of digestive issue.
This is a link to the manufacturer: https://www.protexinvet.com/fibreplex/p26
1714911704778.png

Thanks, I'll give it a shot, but earliest delivery is Wednesday.
A second one is struggling, cleaned it up (flies are a real danger this year), and I'm giving water regularily, now and then with simethicon and a tiny bit of salt.

Well, update. 8 left, went too smoothly for a week, then one by one 3 got diarrhia, bloat and died, 2 more had that troubles but got over it with simethicone, extra water, a little salt, - and the Fibreplex once I had it - and those two are as healthy as the others now. Either it was coincidence or this stuff is pretty good, they went back to normal within 2 feedings.

By now I ran out of canned evaporated goat milk, I'm using fresh goat milk and goat milk powder for the formula now, easier to get here and should do the same.

It doesn't get boring, 2 days ago one was covered in blood, didn't find the wound and it was it's normal self again a day later, gave some pain meds and kept it in my kitchen with 2 others for a night.

Today morning one was missing at feeding time, somehow it got out of the hutch, found it half an hour later grazing in the garden, had spent the night in a spare nestbox there, made itself a nice little nest.

About one more week of feeding, but they are already eating solid food now. Time to check genders and start looking for new homes, maybe some of them are lucky, might keep one since Ruth is 5 alread anyway.

Attachments

• Lotte Wurf2 11-5-2024.jpg
    Lotte Wurf2 11-5-2024.jpg
    140 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Well, update. 8 left, went too smoothly for a week, then one by one 3 got diarrhia, bloat and died, 2 more had that troubles but got over it with simethicone, extra water, a little salt, - and the Fibreplex once I had it - and those two are as healthy as the others now. Either it was coincidence or this stuff is pretty good, they went back to normal within 2 feedings.
Could be the Fibreplex as it is pretty good, a lifesaver in fact. Digestive issues are common in hand-reared rabbits which is why I gave mine Fibreplex in their milk. This idea came from a friend who raised two babies from birth and did the same, she also had no digestive problems with hers.

When used for adult rabbits with digestive upsets it keeps the gut moving, and also supplies encouragement for the good gut bacteria to multiply. When a rabbit stops eating it will keep them going and prevents gut stasis.

Back