my homeschooled kid

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Galadriel":6zbcsibj said:
Miss M":6zbcsibj said:
And you have a defective memory module. I'll start shopping for a new one. :twisted:

Oh, yeah, and your model number came from the best of the best.... right? I may not have the best of memories, but I know where I got it from! :twisted:

Ouch!! Buuuurrnnn!! :lol:

Galadriel":29ypg9r9 said:
Miss M":29ypg9r9 said:
Galadriel":29ypg9r9 said:
YOU were the one who said "We can't turn the car off in the middle of 'Gabriella', can we?"! All I did was agree! :evil:
And you have a defective memory module. I'll start shopping for a new one. :twisted:

Oh, yeah, and your model number came from the best of the best.... right? I may not have the best of memories, but I know where I got it from! :twisted:
Oh, it's never been a secret that I could use my brain to sift flour! :p

(And if anyone's interested, here's "Gabriela" (one "l" LOL): https://youtu.be/8B-RnjXI_d8 )

Syberchick70":29ypg9r9 said:
Ouch!! Buuuurrnnn!! :lol:
Yeah... that did kinda smart...
wile-e-coyote.jpg

Syberchick70":12yb2d7x said:
Miss M":12yb2d7x said:
And if anyone's interested, here's "Gabriela" (one "l" LOL): https://youtu.be/8B-RnjXI_d8 )

I like the sound of that. :) More exotic, less 'poppy'. :)

You probably wouldn't like much else of theirs, then. VERY rock-n-roll. :roll: Except "Heaven of My Heart", "Highland of Love", "Once and for All", and possibly "Unchain". Those are smoother, like "Gabriela". But the rest are more rock and less roll. :D

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Mom found out that I want to learn Anglo-Saxon, and she found a place that teaches in a way I can understand, so I'll be starting Anglo-Saxon soon! :bouncy:

My kid comes up with the most original expressions sometimes...
yesterday he said he was 'hot as a polar bear in florida'
today he said that something was 'as dry as the skin on a tomato'.... :lol:

MamaSheepdog":13jcqfmi said:
Syber, it sounds like you are an Unschooler or "Life Learner"? All of my kids are unschoolers. :D

My eldest two did go to school (until the start of their 3rd and 4th grade years), but Colliepup has never been inside of a classroom. The first (and only!) test he has ever taken was the one to get his hunting license and he passed with a score of 97%. :p He was only 10 at the time, so wasn't even eligible for his deer tag until this year.

Syberchick70":13jcqfmi said:
I do very little with him, at least so far. I put some effort into teaching him basics and he pretty much took off after that. Yay homeschooling :D

We approach learning as just a part of life. For example, when Colliepup was learning to read (and spell) he asked me how to spell "phone". I answered "P-h-o-n-e. Sometimes "ph" is used to make the "fff" sound.", and then we went on with our day. :)

jeannie":13jcqfmi said:
Sadly, here in NM, we have high school graduates who cannot read as well as your 8 year old.

Before the advent of compulsory government schooling (1850) the literacy rate in the U.S. was at 98%. It is now less than 80%. :cry:

Keep up the good (non!) work, Syber! You will be amazed at the things he learns when he is in charge of his own education. My kids constantly amaze me with the things they know. :D

I don't mean to bring up old posts, but do you have a source for this? Because according to the CIA, us has a literacy rate of 99%.

Edit: just wanted to note, I've got nothing against homeschooling. It can be really beneficial, especially if you've got bad schools in your area. Go all of y'all, homeschooling seems difficult, but glad it's worked out well :) and yeah, that's a good approach to teaching! (Happens during life)

CochinBrahmaLover":14z8e5ih said:
I don't mean to bring up old posts, but do you have a source for this? Because according to the CIA, us has a literacy rate of 99%.

The CIA defines literacy as an individual’s (over age 15) ability to read and write with minimal comprehension. This definition of literacy means the individual is capable of only understanding the basics of what he or she is reading. In fact, the CIA’s official definition includes those individuals some call the “functioning illiterate.” Functioning illiterates can read, write and comprehend enough to “get by” in life. In some instances, these illiterate people are so, not only by definition, but also legally.
Read more at http://www.schoolmoney.org/literacy-rat ... 2yajmMG.99

Literacy study: 1 in 7 U.S. adults are unable to read this story

By Greg Toppo, USA TODAY
A long-awaited federal study finds that an estimated 32 million adults in the USA — about one in seven — are saddled with such low literacy skills that it would be tough for them to read anything more challenging than a children's picture book or to understand a medication's side effects listed on a pill bottle.

ON THE WEB: Read the findings

Though many communities are making strides to tackle the problem, it's worsening elsewhere — in some cases significantly.

Overall, the study finds, the nation hasn't made a dent in its adult-literacy problem: From 1992 to 2003, it shows, the USA added about 23 million adults to its population; in that period, an estimated 3.6 million more joined the ranks of adults with low literacy skills.

How low? It would be a challenge to read this newspaper article or deconstruct a fuel bill.

"They really cannot read … paragraphs (or) sentences that are connected," says Sheida White, a researcher at the U.S. Education Department.

The findings come from the department's National Assessment of Adult Literacy, a survey of more than 19,000 Americans ages 16 and older. The 2003 survey is a follow-up to a similar one in 1992 and for the first time lets the public see literacy rates as far down as county levels.

In many cases, states made sizable gains. In Mississippi, the percentage of adults with low skills dropped 9 percentage points, from 25% to 16%. In every one of its 82 counties, low-skill rates dropped — in a few cases by 20 percentage points or more.

By contrast, in several large states — California, New York, Florida and Nevada, for instance — the number of adults with low skills rose.

David Harvey, president and CEO of ProLiteracy, an adult-literacy organization, says Mississippi "invested more in education … and they have done innovative programming. We need much more of that."

U.S. Education Secretary Margaret Spellings says efforts in adult literacy are inefficient and "scattered" across government agencies.

"We're not using research-based practices, broadly applied," she says.

Harvey cites undiagnosed learning disabilities, immigration and high school dropouts as reasons for the poor literacy numbers.

The findings are published online at nces.ed.gov/naal/estimates/index.aspx.

Harvey cites undiagnosed learning disabilities, immigration and high school dropouts as reasons for the poor literacy numbers.

I think people need to realize just how many high school GRADUATES have poor literacy skills these days.

If someone really wants to know just how literate the US is, they can go check on craigslist. :p

I'm not seeing 99% literacy rate even among those who have internet access. :roll:

Zass":1lwremw5 said:

I think people need to realize just how many high school GRADUATES have poor literacy skills these days.

If someone really wants to know just how literate the US is, they can go check on craigslist. :p

I'm not seeing 99% literacy rate even among those who have internet access. :roll:

Exactly why I didn't question the low literacy rate. That's even with spell check and autocorrect!! (as bad as that can be)

I worked with boys in a church program a few years ago, one of the boys I worked with is a good example of how bad it can be. This boy was an amazing football player, he was incredibly tough, and a very good person, fair to others and honest. He was taken out of his academic high school classes as a freshman [and I was told this had been happening years before high school also ]
I soon found out he was almost totally unable to read, [His reading vocabulary was less then 20 words] - he was put in sports programs instead of classrooms, and his teachers were told to give him a C - so-- he had a C average except in PE where he got an A, -- in his Jr year he was set up and hit by 2 boys at once and his femur was badly broken, so-- he was dropped from the team, and sports programs, and put back in class, - He was absolutely lost, had no idea what was going on, could not read at all, had no math skills, and was now getting F grades in all of his classes, -- well-- not surprisingly he dropped out -and got a job- He eventually met a great girl, who married him, taught him to read, and he was able to get his GED, and a much better job. But-- this is an example of what goes on in some California schools.

That's amazing! My 7 year old can read pretty well for his age but his regurgitating what he just read or really understanding it hasn't matured yet.

mystang89":194zcfy5 said:
That's amazing! My 7 year old can read pretty well for his age but his regurgitating what he just read or really understanding it hasn't matured yet.

Perhaps it will soon click with him and he will be reading amazing things :)

mystang89":1h7t7vn1 said:
Comprehension and the ability to use and apply what he reads will come. :)

For Bunny-Wan Kenobi, the key was to find a genre that piqued his interest. It wasn't easy, but we finally did. It made him really want to "get it", and that helped him develop his comprehension in other areas.

Latest posts

Back