Pictures of your rabbit cages

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Then feel free to post over in pets

Just for the record
alot of meat raiser here actually use the colony method, which is pretty close to free range, as the rabbits are in a large enclosure and have free run and lots of space to play and burrow.

And those free range chickens, sorry thats a price gimmick, that just means that a chicken has access to a yard, thats all, not how big, or that the chicken you are eating ever went outside

Most of the "wire relief" type regulations are actually pretty shoddy, they exempt agricultural production, so factory farms aren't touched (of course neither are the politicians contributions) and they trumpet it as a great victory for humane treatment. The only people who a effected are small people, like most of us here, which is ok for the industrial AG guys and their paid politicians.

I just want to say:
Goodbye Emma and I hope you can find happiness
in a world where only your beliefs prevail!
It's just horrible, simply HORRIBLE how others can have a belief
differing from yours! How in the world could Human beings be
so self-centered as to think that something they are doing
which does not exactly coincide with yours
be an acceptable idea? Why the idea of it!
Hey Emma, get a grip, the world does not revolve around YOU!
There are literally hundreds of different alternatives to raising
and caring for Rabbits or any other animal for that matter,
and they are all acceptable.
I hope that in time your eyes will open and you will be able to
allow others to live their life as THEY see fit.
Have a wonderful life.
Maggie: I apologize for losing my cool!
Ottersatin. :eek:ldtimer:

ottersatin":153qn46u said:
I just want to say:
Goodbye Emma and I hope you can find happiness
in a world where only your beliefs prevail!
It's just horrible, simply HORRIBLE how others can have a belief
differing from yours! How in the world could Human beings be
so self-centered as to think that something they are doing
which does not exactly coincide with yours
be an acceptable idea? Why the idea of it!
Hey Emma, get a grip, the world does not revolve around YOU!
There are literally hundreds of different alternatives to raising
and caring for Rabbits or any other animal for that matter,
and they are all acceptable.
I hope that in time your eyes will open and you will be able to
allow others to live their life as THEY see fit.
Have a wonderful life.
Maggie: I apologize for losing my cool!
Ottersatin. :eek:ldtimer:

I'm not selfish! You are treating your rabbits like they aren't living things. How would you like to live your life stuck in a cage that is so tiny you can't move in! THEN YOU GET EATEN. This is the worse forum I have ever come across and I have shared your behaviour with another and they too think you are all awful. :evil: I agree with breeding and don't have a problem with "meat rabbits" if they are cared for correctly. If they were cared for like you and many others are caring for them, they would be taken off you if you lived in this country! That's how BAD it is!

How do I delete my account?!

Sorry emma
FAIL

rabbits are there to be eaten, that is the natural order, of the food chain, and we get to eat them, really not up for philosophy of it all right now, but that's mainly because you refuse to understand there is a different point, I'm done talking about/to you, there would be no further point and obviously you haven't taken the time to read or think about what has been said

LASTLY, rabbits are rabbits, and it's a tragedy to think of them in human terms, they aren't.

That last bit, most free loving people see that more as problem with the country, than the breeder.

Jack":1tfxdonx said:
Sorry emma
FAIL

rabbits are there to be eaten, that is the natural order, of the food chain, and we get to eat them, really not up for philosophy of it all right now, but that's mainly because you refuse to understand there is a different point, I'm done talking about/to you, there would be no further point and obviously you haven't taken the time to read or think about what has been said

LASTLY, rabbits are rabbits, and it's a tragedy to think of them in human terms, they aren't.

That last bit, most free loving people see that more as problem with the country, than the breeder.

Please tell me you don't breed your thrianta's for meat? They are one of my fave breeds. Personally, I don't have a problem with how you care for your gorgeous thriantas because I see from pics they get to play outside. :D

Wow first heated post. Emma if you look to the top you will see you are in the meat rabbit form see this is what it will look like.
Board index ‹ Rabbits for Profit ‹ Meat Rabbits
You need to go back over to the pets side if this upsets you.
Im sorry you had to see this but rabbit meat is very healthy and there easy to raise and care for. We all take very good care of our rabbits and they lead a good life. Im glad i did not put my pics on yet have to wait tell next week anyway. Anyway i love everyones set up and if i do get my pics put up it will show my barn only half done have to put up around 30 more cages this spring.

Whoa, everyone!

I know where Emma is coming from. She is 14 and has pet bunnies. Seeing your set-ups is likely her first introduction to raising rabbits for meat.

At the same time, Emma, you are in the Meat Rabbits forum here and must respect that raising livestock is different from raising pets. I'm sorry everyone got so excited, but it is not easy to have a new member come in and make sweeping criticisms.

If the idea of raising rabbits for meat in a practical and humane way is offensive to you, I suggest you do not come to this area of RabbitTalk. On the other hand, if you are willing to read and learn about something new, then you are very welcome.

I've removed the personal attack posts, and hopefully we can go forward from here with this thread of photos of meat rabbit setups.

When someone wanders into a section of RabbitTalk that they don't agree with, a simple "this part of the forum is for <meat rabbit raising>" and a "report a post" is sufficient. Do NOT start fighting. There is no reason for anyone to be rude to another member. If you feel you have to be arrogant, obnoxious, or do personal attacks...DON'T. On either side.<br /><br />__________ Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:47 am __________<br /><br />By the way...as one of the people involved in chicken raising, Free Range is only a political phrase here in the US. In the UK it actually MEANS they are in a large outdoor area. (can't remember the full description). What our government calls "free range" is referred to as "penned", I think, in the UK.

anywho, never though to using fiberglass for trays/bounce boards.

and now...back to photos of setups :)

http://www.larsonrabbitry.com/pictures is a link to a now defunct rabbitry here in Wisconsin. He had over 400 rabbits at any given time, in 2? barns. Side was open during the spring/summer/fall. Barns cleaned at least 1x a week. Always smelled clean in there. He offered "as much rabbit manure as you want---you clean, you haul" and had a lot of takers. The only reason he's no longer running it is job related.

If you scroll down you'll see some of his rabbits, the cage setup, and that he had those lay-about mats.

His rabbits were quite healthy and BIG meaty critters. (my Mama-san and Peter came from Mr. Larson)

My own meat rabbits are in 3'x4' pens or cages (depending). If it's a cage, they have 1/3 of it as solid pad to lounge on. Most have toys and shelves to lay on. But I am not in the business...they're just for my own use(and a couple of friends). I also have the luxury of a LOT of space and an indulgent spousal-unit.

what about setting up worm beds, you could use post and removable 2x4s, but how bad is the ammonia?

Jack, I think the urine is funneled out via gutter like things, to pails? If I recall, the worms aren't very fond of the urine so they leave the area.

Now....in my rabbitry, the urine smell is simply vented out using fans. Since I bed with shavings and hay (sometimes straw) it's soaked up quickly, and dries out rapidly. I also use Peat Moss in the litter boxes, which keeps the ammonia down.

Anntann":2jxhw7k0 said:
I also have the luxury of a LOT of space and an indulgent spousal-unit.

Indulgent Spousal-unit!!! :lol: I love it--now if only there was a store for those!

Anntann":2v9bnj5l said:
If I recall, the worms aren't very fond of the urine so they leave the area.

All you have to do is water down the area where the urine collects once in awhile and the worms will be ok with it.

MaggieJ":3daa9hk8 said:
Time to let go of this, folks! I don't want to lock the thread, but could we please get back to the original topic... which was set-ups for raising meat rabbits.

Oh hey now, I thought anyone could post their set-ups here? :lol:
My set-up isn't a meat rabbit set-up, but I will be adding some meat rabbit breeds.

Emily

Back