Tamuk Rabbit Standard?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’ve been doing some research into a heat tolerant breed. It’s been quite hot here in western CO and it seems like Tamuks should be more apt to handle that. Our NZ doe is still panting even when I turn the swamp cooler on. So is the NZW a type of Tamuk or is it something else? I’m definitely interested in the 8 liters per year. I’ve only been doing 6 and we could definitely use the extra meat. Has anyone had success with their Tamuk does doing 8 liters a year? Do tamuks seem to have better growth rates than CAs and NZs?

Thanks for the info!
What I can tell you personally is that I have had Tamuk, New Zealand and Rex in my barn and the Rex and New Zealand will show signs of heat stress about 8-10 degrees sooner than the Tamuk. I'm talking typical Tamuk vs typical NZ. I deal with very high heat here in west Texas. so far, 3 our of 4 years, my Tamuk bucks have kept their fertility through the summer. They did not last summer, we had 3 continuous weeks of above 110 temps. But I was still able to breed successfully in September. I do not breed intensively all the time as all of my rabbits are in cages and I have no tractors. However, I have occasionally bred back a doe within the first 4 weeks and they have done fine. I believe that 8 litters is possible for good Tamuk does carefully managed. My growth rates are 5 lbs at 8-10 weeks feeding a lot of forage in addition to hay and pellets. Pellets only would tend to lower that to the law end. I am not super intent on the fastest rates as I sell a lot of breeders and I purposely do not feed them as much so to avoid excess internal fat. Not that Tamuk are prone to that, it is simply a integral part of my personal business model. I never, for example, process a doe unless something is wrong with them because the demand is high here relative to the supply.

Also, you can see on this map that there are people successfully untilizing Tamuk in many states. I know a long time breeder in Michigan that breeds heavily through the summer and takes a break, if taken, in winter months. We are currently working through pins to update them. The red signify breeders with Tamuk as part of their rabbitry.
https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?mid=1nSBXu-oUOdNfU3yh0p1Umdo-8KHaZ3Oz&usp=sharing
Thanks for the map! Although I can’t access the Facebook page of the Tamuk breeder in Cedar City, UT. I don’t know if it’s just this device. Does it look like that on your side or would the person who made this map happen to have that contact info?

:cry: nobody in WA. looks like the portland oregon rabbitry no longer has them so I would have to go to Eugene...I am almost to the point of doing it. I had a bad summer for breeding this year.

I didnt know composites were a thing. I just bought 3 11 wk olds thinking they must be mixed with New Zealands. I figured I'd breed them with New Zealand or Silver Fox (more easily found here) and then just breed back offspring to them as needed. Now all I want is Tamuks and the nearest breeder on the list is almost 2 hrs away.

ETA: I forgot to say that I am already in love with them. So.calm and friendly and curious. Settled right in and quickly adjusted to my dogs running around and under thr cage and smelling them. So wonderful for first timers.

Hey eveyone - I've been in Florida the last two weeks, my mom passed (expected and she is now happy and well again) so been off the radar, way off. I don't have time this morning to give it a lot of thought but I'd be happy to be a go between to see if there is more availability in this area via the large group on Facebook. I wouldn't expect a lot but even one more rabbitry can make a difference. Also, sometimes people are traveling back and forth.

Even in Texas I drove 5 hours one way and 6 hours another way to get my first Tamuk composites and never regretted it. Just saying. The average heat tolerance of a typical Tamuk versus a trypical NZ is at least 5-8 degrees higher and when you are on the high end of the temps, it makes a difference.

The delightful temperament, good mothering skills and fun colors are bonuses. The slightly less meaty carcass isn't going to matter except to those who keep strict records and are going for the highest possible feed conversion - even then Tamuk might break even because they use feed efficiently.

I have had NZs and I currently have a pair of Rex so some small basis for comparison plus a willingness to fully discuss the pros and cons to whatever extent I am aware of them. I have an excellent Rex doe in terms of production. In fact, she has outperformed my Tamuk on some metrics though I think she may be exceptional because talking to others, haven't had feedback like this. Girlfriend drops 9-12, usually 10 kits, feeds them all and has only ever lost a handful over, I think, 10 litters. BUT she must be closest to my big fan and most of the kits she lost was in a sudden heat spike one summer.

Last edited:
Hey eveyone - I've been in Florida the last two weeks, my mom passed (expected and she is now happy and well again) so been off the radar, way off. I don't have time this morning to give it a lot of thought but I'd be happy to be a go between to see if there is more availability in this area via the large group on Facebook. I wouldn't expect a lot but even one more rabbitry can make a difference. Also, sometimes people are traveling back and forth.
I wish your mum well over the rainbow bridge 🌈

I am fairly new here so I hope I am not overstepping but I am very sorry about the loss of your mom. Sending prayers for you and your family as well as some extra hugs. 🤗

Latest posts

Back