Tamuk Rabbit Standard?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaxmarblebuns

Reaction score
I have seen Tamuk rabbits being talked about all over the place, but I cant find a standard or set breed description anywhere. So, what makes a Tamuk rabbit? What are the standards? Most importantly, how can you tell that a Tamuk is actually a Tamuk? How do you know they arent just random mixed breeds?

The only think I have herd that defines them is that they are heat tolerant.

Tamuk isn't actually a breed which is why you can't find standards. They are in fact a semi random cross breed. They were developed by 2 schools (hence the name) to be heat tolerant meat rabbits and they just bred for meat and doing ok and breeding in heat.

Tamuk isn't actually a breed which is why you can't find standards. They are in fact a semi random cross breed. They were developed by 2 schools (hence the name) to be heat tolerant meat rabbits and they just bred for meat and doing ok and breeding in heat.
The Tamuk breed is not recognized by ARBA, yes, however, they were selected for mothering abilities and good temperament as well in a serious breeding program over 30 years.

Jaxmarblebuns
Tamuks come in two types - the Tamuk NZ which a REW commercial strain and Tamuk Composites which have a variety of colors. They have a mandolin (semi-arch) body type, large ears that have thin fur coverings and thin soft fur. The best way to find them is to contact a reputable Tamuk breeder. What you want to ask is if their stock can be traced back to the college or if it came from another reputable breeder. It helps a lot to join a Tamuk community for more information and to become familar with what they look like via photos. It is less simple than finding good stock of another breed but not by much since a pedigree and ARBA recognition doesn't confer quality on individual rabbits.

Here is a place to start - the red pins denote Tamuk breeders. These have not been vetted but they are all interested enough in the breed to have joined a community. Happy to help more if I can.
https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?mid=1nSBXu-oUOdNfU3yh0p1Umdo-8KHaZ3Oz&usp=sharing

I have seen Tamuk rabbits being talked about all over the place, but I cant find a standard or set breed description anywhere. So, what makes a Tamuk rabbit? What are the standards? Most importantly, how can you tell that a Tamuk is actually a Tamuk? How do you know they arent just random mixed breeds?

The only think I have herd that defines them is that they are heat tolerant.
Some other info I have on file:

Tamuks vs Composites. Tamuks are all white, which meets the majority of the commercial processors requirements. Composites are made up of a bunch of different breeds, so it is like a bubble gum machine to find out what colors you will have from these.
We are now producing both Tamuks and Composites.
This is what Dr. Lukefahr had to say on the Texas A&M website about both:
Texas A&M University-Kingsville develops and maintains breeds of meat rabbit that are suitable for backyard or commercial meat production. We do not have fancy- or show-rabbit stock. If you are in the need of fancy bred rabbits for your local rabbit show, please contact area show rabbit breeders or your county Extension agent. The Breeding Objective for our breeds (NZW and Composite) is to conserve genetic integrity or quality by managing a low ratio of does to bucks (<3:1), conducting random matings (except for close relatives), and practicing no further selection to maintain genetic variation for high performance.
New Zealand White - The "Tamuk" line of the New Zealand White (NZW) breed, specifically developed for the commercial meat rabbit industry, was developed in the mid-1980's involving the crossing of commercial lines from Arkansas, Florida and Louisiana. This composite maternal line is especially well adapted under hot and humid conditions. Too, there is little to no fancy or show NZW breeding in this line. Does exemplify desirable maternal characteristics, such as early maturity, large litters, well developed nests, good milking ability, and strong maternal instincts, for which commercial selection has been applied. The recommended breeding management regime involves first mating at 4-1/2 months of age and a 14-day breed-back system that allows for 8 litters per doe per year. When purchasing NZW stock, always ask to see production and pedigree records.
Our NZW line has been very productive for both families with small backyard operations and large commercial operations in many states.
Composites - A new breed - About 30 years ago, Dr. Lukefahr began crossing different breeds for backyard meat production to feed his own family. Another objective was steady production, which is enhanced by hybrid vigor due to crossbreeding. Yet another aim was choosing breeds that harbor major genes for coat color. As a result of crossing seven breeds over the years (in chronological order: New Zealand Red, Siamese Satin, Californian, New Zealand White, Dutch, Champagne d’Argent, Harlequin, and Havana), this composite breed now possesses all of the major genes for coat color. In the photo to the left, nine rabbits from the same litter are each of a different color! Examples of colors in this population include agouti and black, blue, chocolate, and lilac, creme and opal, seal and siamese, chinchilla, himalayan and albino, and steel, harlequin (japanese and magpie), and red. In the photo to the right, a seemingly rare magpie-californian rabbit is shown. As a family activity, this color feature will hopefully pique the curiosity and active interest of children. Also, the skins can be tanned using the natural colors (without dyeing) and made into products that can be sold, for example, at farmers markets. Lastly, this population was recently crossed with our commercial Tamuk NZW line to infuse genes for production for vital traits such as fertility, litter size, milk production, and growth, while adding some additional hybrid vigor as a boost to performance. It should also be pointed out that these rabbits are heat tolerant with adaptive characteristics that include long ears and thin fur coats. Several breeders now in different states are reporting good production success with this new breed. However, an important point is that this breed better suited for small-scale backyard production. It is not a commercial breed. Also, some breeders place order for only white (albino) animals if they are selling fryers commercially where a premium is paid for white body fur. Try a breeding trio!

You see Tamuk talked about a lot because the people who have them love them and get rather excited about them not to mention being able to raise them outside in unrabbit-friendly climates. If I were going to raise, say, NZs where I live, I would need to travel to a rabbitry that has been raising them in a similar climate outside for years. Tamuk breeders also tend to be people who like having (relatively) calm rabbits that are unlikely to bite. Another characteristic that was bred into them is the ability to utilize forage efficiently as that was another area that Dr. Lukefahr was active in worldwide. The program is now shut down as he has retired. Which does raise the issue of keeping full Tamuk stock available but there are a number of breeders striving to do that.

Where can one find these composites? Anyone have them in Maryland?

Tamuks vs Composites. Tamuks are all white, which meets the majority of the commercial processors requirements. Composites are made up of a bunch of different breeds, so it is like a bubble gum machine to find out what colors you will have from these.
Texas A&M University-Kingsville develops and maintains breeds of meat rabbit that are suitable for backyard or commercial meat production. We do not have fancy- or show-rabbit stock. If you are in the need of fancy bred rabbits for your local rabbit show, please contact area show rabbit breeders or your county Extension agent. The Breeding Objective for our breeds (NZW and Composite) is to conserve genetic integrity or quality by managing a low ratio of does to bucks (<3:1), conducting random matings (except for close relatives), and practicing no further selection to maintain genetic variation for high performance.
New Zealand White - The "Tamuk" line of the New Zealand White (NZW) breed, specifically developed for the commercial meat rabbit industry, was developed in the mid-1980's involving the crossing of commercial lines from Arkansas, Florida and Louisiana. This composite maternal line is especially well adapted under hot and humid conditions. Too, there is little to no fancy or show NZW breeding in this line. Does exemplify desirable maternal characteristics, such as early maturity, large litters, well developed nests, good milking ability, and strong maternal instincts, for which commercial selection has been applied. The recommended breeding management regime involves first mating at 4-1/2 months of age and a 14-day breed-back system that allows for 8 litters per doe per year. When purchasing NZW stock, always ask to see production and pedigree records.
Our NZW line has been very productive for both families with small backyard operations and large commercial operations in many states.
Composites - A new breed - About 30 years ago, Dr. Lukefahr began crossing different breeds for backyard meat production to feed his own family. Another objective was steady production, which is enhanced by hybrid vigor due to crossbreeding. Yet another aim was choosing breeds that harbor major genes for coat color. As a result of crossing seven breeds over the years (in chronological order: New Zealand Red, Siamese Satin, Californian, New Zealand White, Dutch, Champagne d’Argent, Harlequin, and Havana), this composite breed now possesses all of the major genes for coat color. In the photo to the left, nine rabbits from the same litter are each of a different color! Examples of colors in this population include agouti and black, blue, chocolate, and lilac, creme and opal, seal and siamese, chinchilla, himalayan and albino, and steel, harlequin (japanese and magpie), and red. In the photo to the right, a seemingly rare magpie-californian rabbit is shown. As a family activity, this color feature will hopefully pique the curiosity and active interest of children. Also, the skins can be tanned using the natural colors (without dyeing) and made into products that can be sold, for example, at farmers markets. Lastly, this population was recently crossed with our commercial Tamuk NZW line to infuse genes for production for vital traits such as fertility, litter size, milk production, and growth, while adding some additional hybrid vigor as a boost to performance. It should also be pointed out that these rabbits are heat tolerant with adaptive characteristics that include long ears and thin fur coats. Several breeders now in different states are reporting good production success with this new breed. However, an important point is that this breed better suited for small-scale backyard production. It is not a commercial breed. Also, some breeders place order for only white (albino) animals if they are selling fryers commercially where a premium is paid for white body fur. Try a breeding trio!

Where can one find these composites? Anyone have them in Maryland?
This is the closest pin on my map in Warrenton VA.

InTune Farm

TAMU-K NZW and
New Zealands in White and Blue
Breed all year round.
Email: [email protected]

They may perhaps know someone closer to you.

Next closest on the map is NC. There is a Facebook group for the Carolinas - if you happen tp participate there, I will get the link for you.

This is the closest pin on my map in Warrenton VA.

InTune Farm

TAMU-K NZW and
New Zealands in White and Blue
Breed all year round.
Email: [email protected]

They may perhaps know someone closer to you.

Next closest on the map is NC. There is a Facebook group for the Carolinas - if you happen tp participate there, I will get the link for you.
Thanks. This rabbitry no longer breeds Tamuks.

Dang! These rabbits sound pretty fantastic, I almost wish they were ARBA approved.

Dang! These rabbits sound pretty fantastic, I almost wish they were ARBA approved.
I love mine! The Tamuk community debated about going for approval but finally decided not to do so. Even full Tamuks show a lot of variation. I have 3 bucks and 10 does and I could show you all three fur types and a range of head shapes. And their best qualities don't show on the table anyhow. Welcome to the forum!

I love mine! The Tamuk community debated about going for approval but finally decided not to do so. Even full Tamuks show a lot of variation. I have 3 bucks and 10 does and I could show you all three fur types and a range of head shapes. And their best qualities don't show on the table anyhow. Welcome to the forum!
I'm going to Texas in April and hope to pick up some to bring back to CA.

Ah, that's understandable. Hard to judge something that shows that much variation!

And thanks! I'm really excited to be here. ^_^

Hi there. I do breed Tamuk Composites and I am right next to you, north of Muskegon. I have 3 bucks and 4 does. They are all unrelated (not an easy task) and most come with pedigrees.

Attachments

• 20231012_144110.jpg
    20231012_144110.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 1
If anyone is interested in pure Tamuks there is a breeder in OR that I'm getting rexes from, but she also breeds tamuks and she has kept her lines the pure Texas A&M, no out crossing, plus she says she can make unrelated pairs/trios. I'm not sure what she has available currently, but there is a rabbit transport planning on a run the first week of February, going from Northern CA to WA then all the way down to the edge of AZ and then back to Northern CA, (that's how I'm getting my rexes, hopefully).
The breeders name is Whiskers & Tails Oregon Rabbitry (I am not affiliated, just a buyer, lol).

If anyone is interested in pure Tamuks there is a breeder in OR that I'm getting rexes from, but she also breeds tamuks and she has kept her lines the pure Texas A&M, no out crossing, plus she says she can make unrelated pairs/trios. I'm not sure what she has available currently, but there is a rabbit transport planning on a run the first week of February, going from Northern CA to WA then all the way down to the edge of AZ and then back to Northern CA, (that's how I'm getting my rexes, hopefully).
The breeders name is Whiskers & Tails Oregon Rabbitry (I am not affiliated, just a buyer, lol).
Good to know.

Back