daydream breeders

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You need a sable POINT as they are non-extension and not a sable /siamese sable as they are full extension if you want fawns or frosties

Both does look like they have respectable crowns, if a little "slipped" back towards the neck

Dood":jc8y7zes said:
You need a sable POINT as they are non-extension and not a sable /siamese sable as they are full extension if you want fawns or frosties

Both does look like they have respectable crowns, if a little "slipped" back towards the neck

OH!! :/ I guess I don't know the difference.
Can you maybe post a picture for reference, if you have time? Or at least just tell me what to look for? I have the word out that I want a tort doe... nothing even somewhat reasonably close to me as of yet.

Regarding cage latches I purchased these a week or so ago and have been very pleased. The springs are strong and keep the doors locked but I can open them with one hand. They are a bit of a pain to get on but after you get them on you don't have to worry about them popping off if the door is open and you bump them.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/ ... dition=new

Sable points look like really washed out sables. The body is near white but still has the dark points. Just run it through google image search. Not to be confused with himi.

alforddm":2ng1cduv said:
Regarding cage latches I purchased these a week or so ago and have been very pleased. The springs are strong and keep the doors locked but I can open them with one hand. They are a bit of a pain to get on but after you get them on you don't have to worry about them popping off if the door is open and you bump them.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/ ... dition=new

Those look nice :) I might order some. In the meantime, I was able to find some small carrabiners and they work well, but maybe allow a little more slack than I would prefer.

-- Wed Apr 01, 2015 12:07 pm --

akane":2ng1cduv said:
Sable points look like really washed out sables. The body is near white but still has the dark points. Just run it through google image search. Not to be confused with himi.

Ok, I see it now, akane - thank you :) That little doe would be a 'siamese sable' because she has shading all over her body, plus the darker points whereas a sable point would be mostly very light with dark points. I do google searches, but dangit, people mislable their rabbit colors so often that a lot of times it just doesn't do any good. :p

-- Wed Apr 01, 2015 1:39 pm --

That little doe does appear to be a Sable Point after all... those pictures were just kind of dark. There are lighter pictures and her background is frosties. Doesn't help me though, that would be a 13hr drive!! :/ <br /><br /> -- Fri Apr 03, 2015 2:24 pm -- <br /><br /> Hey Dood (and others) - what do you think of this gal?
I'm not sure if I want to introduce steel, but... ???
They say she is a broken sable steel. Not sure what that would get me.

BBD1.jpg

Not so sure her colour is broken steel sable, looks more like a broken gold tipped steel (broken steel chestnut) to me :shrug: but she has a lot of white and her head isn't visable

She looks good in her pose - need a front of face view without a hand in the picture :)

But you really need to get your hands on them and feel the bone structure underneath as fur can hide a lot.

Dood":14nejj0f said:
Not so sure her colour is broken steel sable, looks more like a broken gold tipped steel (broken steel chestnut) to me :shrug: but she has a lot of white and her head isn't visable

She looks good in her pose - need a front of face view without a hand in the picture :)

But you really need to get your hands on them and feel the bone structure underneath as fur can hide a lot.

Yup, I did ask for a face shot. However, if it sounds like she's chestnut, that's one of the colors I'm supposed to avoid because it's dominant, right? :/ I do think she looks dark. <br /><br /> -- Sat Apr 04, 2015 1:24 pm -- <br /><br /> Well, I cross posted in all of the facebook rabbit groups (particularly the mini lop groups) asking for a sable point and/or a tort doe. People started asking me what I was trying to make and I told them either Tri/Harli or Frosties (I wouldn't mind doing both.. different does of course).

I got 'jumped on' by the ARBA people, telling me that Harli Minis aren't 'recognized' (another breeder told me the ARE 'recognized', just not showable). Some folks who breed Minis told me that I definitely do NOT want torts, but that I should look for a harli and that I should try to find a frosty (frosted pearl?) doe to make frosties. Lilac frosty would be nice.

What about a tri-color? Would I just end up with Charlies, because they would both be broken?

I had another Mini breeder tell me that no matter what I breed with, in Mini lines, I would end up with some chestnuts because 'all minis carry chestnut'. :shrug:

Syberchick70":2xmirl6t said:
Would I just end up with Charlies, because they would both be broken?
Breeding broken to broken you'll get 25% self, 25% charlie, and 50% broken. The only way to get 100% charlie is breeding charlie to charlie.

Lol

Welcome to the wonderful world of showing :x

There are "purity snobs" <cough*zealots*cough> in all species - I was born into the dog show world so I am very use to all the drama but I was quite surprised to see such passion <cough*fanaticism*cough> for bunnies :mrgreen:

Tri to broken will give 25% charlies

Torts are fine IF they have a chin, sable, himi or REW parent OR have produced these colours - otherwise you may just get chestnuts, fawns, blacks, torts and broken versions

Sorry but you won't get harli or tri unless you breed to one

Dood":pmujeovo said:
Lol

Welcome to the wonderful world of showing

There are "purity snobs" <cough*zealots*cough> in all species - I was born into the dog show world so I am very use to all the drama but I was quite surprised to see such passion <cough*fanaticism*cough> for bunnies

It amazes me how silly people can be. I also understand that people ask $200 - $300 or more for rabbits at the big shows. Seriously??? *facepalm*

-- Sat Apr 04, 2015 7:42 pm --

Dood":pmujeovo said:
Tri to broken will give 25% charlies

Torts are fine IF they have a chin, sable, himi or REW parent OR have produced these colours - otherwise you may just get chestnuts, fawns, blacks, torts and broken versions

Sorry but you won't get harli or tri unless you breed to one

Cool. I'm narrowing down what I need. :)

If I can get my hands on a decent Harli or tri, I'll do that as well as looking for the sable point or possibly frosty with those background colors and say the heck with the arba snobs. ;)

-- Mon Apr 06, 2015 1:10 pm --

Does this doe look like a 'broken chestnut' to you folks??
HSS_NY2.jpg
HSS_NY1.jpg <br /><br /> -- Mon Apr 06, 2015 4:38 pm -- <br /><br /> Started a new thread... got impatient ;)

Chestnut is such a broad color range from lighter to darker, but yes, its a broken chestnut

Potential bunny shed...
I think, if I can easily convert it, I would use the shed for my grow outs and keep the adults indoors...

I'm actually not sure how big the greenhouse is, but we're not using it for anything, right now, except for storage... so.....

IMAG0499.jpg
IMAG0497.jpg
IMAG0496.jpg

Hmm. Try blocking the windows with cardboard or something (temporarily) to see how hot is gets in there without allowing excess light in. I think If you made "curtains" for it, it *might* work.

Oooh! Curtains are a great idea!!

(what was it I said about the Third (and fatal) stage of Rabbitosis? Something about building (or converting) an entire structure to bunnies?? errrrr.... I MIGHT be in TROUBLE here) :oops: :oops: :oops:

Don't you laugh. A few months ago, i said "no, we aren't getting any pet rabbits, just my meat rabbits, that's it"
A couple weeks later I said, "ok, if you want to do 4h, you can have two mini lops, but that's it, no more"
Now I have my three meat rabbits, one more but she is still too young to breed so she is being shown. Then I have a Holland/mini lop cross in the house, and also have 6 mini lops.

So, don't laugh, I know exactly where you are heading :D

DBA":2ka7wuwz said:
Don't you laugh. A few months ago, i said "no, we aren't getting any pet rabbits, just my meat rabbits, that's it"
A couple weeks later I said, "ok, if you want to do 4h, you can have two mini lops, but that's it, no more"
Now I have my three meat rabbits, one more but she is still too young to breed so she is being shown. Then I have a Holland/mini lop cross in the house, and also have 6 mini lops.

So, don't laugh, I know exactly where you are heading :D

Is that a threat?? :mrgreen:

Saw these two little does listed, they're 13 weeks old.
I think she's asking too much for the harli ($50), but maybe I'm being too picky?
The Tri, I was told, has 'pinched hindquarters' and shouldn't be used for breeding (?)

What do you folks think?

EB1.jpg
EB2.jpg
EB3.jpg

Latest posts

Back