daydream breeders

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dood":1i4yz10q said:
I didn't know your be willing to keep them for 6+ months to get to full size :)

If your processing adults then you may want to taste a roaster first as the flavour is significantly different that that of younger rabbits (fryers) - I can eat the older does as I brine them in salt water and much of the flavour is washed out but I cannot stomach males over 3 months old and most bucks go to animal food in my rabbitry.

Well, maybe not. It does sound like it's better to process them at a younger age. I don't know much about this rabbit meat stuff. Well, I know that you can eat them. That's about it. :oops:

Dood":9b614gtj said:
If your processing adults then you may want to taste a roaster first as the flavour is significantly different that that of younger rabbits - I can eat the older does as I brine them in salt water and much of the flavour is washed out but I cannot stomach males over 3 months old and most bucks go to animal food in my rabbitry.

I enjoy older rabbits as well as younger ones. Younger ones get breaded for nuggets and the older ones get ground into sausage, or slow cooked with BBQ sauce. mmm.

Well, everyone has different taste preferences. Dood's right, you should probably try one before growing them out.

I just checked, and we are 6 hours and 20 minutes apart..if only we were closer, I'd offer some of mine to taste test :chef:

Zass":3nfvep6t said:
I enjoy older rabbits as well as younger ones. Younger ones get breaded for nuggets and the older ones get ground into sausage, or slow cooked with BBQ sauce. mmm.

Well, everyone has different taste preferences. Dood's right, you should probably try one before growing them out.

I just checked, and we are 6 hours and 20 minutes apart..if only we were closer, I'd offer some of mine to taste test :chef:

I wouldn't turn that offer down. :D

I haven't had rabbit since I was a kid. My uncles would hunt and we would occasionally have wild rabbit, which I would have to assume was mature and I liked it. We all enjoy venison here, even my son (and he's picky - he doesn't care for beef or pork). I can't remember what rabbit tastes like. Maybe during my inquiries into local folks who might process for me, I can get some meat to try.

I'm not sure yet whether you folks are a bad influence, or a good one. ;) :lol:

Syberchick70":2sufnueu said:
jeannie wrote:

A small breeding operation... yeah, me too... turned into 2 breeds, and thinking of a 3rd for me, lol
Sounds like you are INFECTED with Rabbitosis for sure now.... gonna have pens and cages everywhere too!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

:oops: :oops: :oops:

Just a few... I mean, I already have what... 2 condos that I'm building (well, I've already finished one), two 'grow out' pens (30x36), two smaller 'isolation' cages (30x18) and an emergency dog crate... and a cat carrier for travelling, and a room with two large bales of hay (one orchard grass, one timothy), a few large bags of bedding and pellets... various other supplies (a friend brought me a box full of second-hand water bottles and feeders)... ummm what else... :p

Uh-huh... well, I must revise my diagnosis. You are already infected. It is far less painful to simply accept the condition rather than try to resist it. :yes:

Zass":2sufnueu said:
As much as I love the bunnies, it's hard to compete with the idea of putting fresh, healthy meat on our table in exchange for the fun of getting to raise some rabbits. Even my partner is behind the idea, so I wouldn't feel like he might get upset with me for wanting to have 'more rabbits'. lol

Well never mind.... It looks like your well on your way to working out a "final solution" to unsellable rabbits. ;)

Yes, it's amazing how accepting family is of "all those rabbits" when some of them end up as dinner. ;)

Syberchick70":2sufnueu said:
I haven't had rabbit since I was a kid. My uncles would hunt and we would occasionally have wild rabbit, which I would have to assume was mature and I liked it.

Wild rabbit is a dark meat. Domestic is white meat. Both are tasty though! :)

See if you can find someone in your area that breeds meat rabbits. At the very least, you can buy some meat to try- and better yet, see if they will teach you how to butcher. I think it is much easier for most people if they have no emotional attachment to the animal the first time they process.

I have taught a lot of people how to kill and process rabbits, and they all make some comment as to how it was a lot easier to handle than they thought it would be.

Although having someone else do it for you is a viable option, there will be instances where you will have to cull an animal quickly to prevent suffering in the case of injury or illness.

Most of us prefer to process our own rabbits as part of responsible stewardship. There is less stress to the rabbit (no transport) and we know that care is taken to make their end come as quickly and humanely as possible.

On that note, I should really do my own chickens and ducks- but they just smell so nasty when butchered. :sick: Maybe it wont be so bad now that I am accustomed to doing so many rabbits. :?

Lots of people who breed for show can't butcher their own rabbits. There are cull buyers at some shows. They won't give you back meat but usually pay a small amount to take your excess rabbits for humane dispatch and use as carnivorous pet food. If you find a facebook, yahoo group, or rabbit club in your city they can often tell you what shows have cull buyers and vouch for good handling of the rabbits they take.

I was talking to a gal I know who used to raise meat rabbits.

She gave me the 'helpful advice' that I don't need to worry about separating out the litter I have now, because, she said "If you keep them all together, they won't try to breed because they're siblings".

:shock: :shock:
:lol:

Riiiiiight smh

Well, I guess that would be a good philosophy if I just wanted to get as many rabbits as I possibly could in a short period of time. :p

I'm actually a little concerned because I only have the one buckling (I'm getting ready to check them all again) and I don't want the little guy to be all by himself. Thoughts?

Syberchick70":13o0hwb4 said:

She gave me the 'helpful advice' that I don't need to worry about separating out the litter I have now, because, she said "If you keep them all together, they won't try to breed because they're siblings".

Whoo-boy. :roll: Now I feel bad.

Obviously, I have been a terrible bunny raiser since I haven't made it clear to my rabbits that incest is- well- icky.

Mine will breed siblings or parent to offspring with absolutely no hesitation at all! :eek: :shock: :eek:

Well, I guess that would be a good philosophy if I just wanted to get as many rabbits as I possibly could in a short period of time. :p

Actually, that's where I thought your friend was going with that advice! :lol: She must not have kept her rabbits together for very long if she never had an accidental litter out of a growout pen.

I'm actually a little concerned because I only have the one buckling (I'm getting ready to check them all again) and I don't want the little guy to be all by himself. Thoughts?

He'll be better off by himself, especially since yours are not standard commercial size rabbits. Maturity comes earlier the smaller they are (usually) and bucks will try to castrate each other. Trust me- it isn't something you want to see.

I know you will feel guilty that he is alone, so will give him more attention. Bucks usually make better pets anyway, so he will have a great start on making a really nice pet for someone. :)

Yeah, I guess it's still safe to keep a doeling in with him if I need to.
I'm going to try to put his smaller cage right next to momma though at least, poor little guy. I feel bad for him to just be by himself all of a sudden.

Syberchick70":3mpxis4u said:
Yeah, I guess it's still safe to keep a doeling in with him if I need to.

The kits are only about 6 weeks old or so, aren't they? I think they should be safe together until 8 weeks or a little beyond. It is a little risky, as breedings have been reported that young, but it certainly isn't the norm.

:thinking: I would put your favorite doe with him. Because, y'know, it would be pretty irresponsible of you to foist a possibly pregnant doeling off on some unsuspecting pet buyer. You'd best shoulder the burden yourself. :whistle:

And then later, you can let her cohabitate with her dad for a little while, since, as you know, rabbits have a strong social stigma against incest. ;)

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

MamaSheepdog":10lbl568 said:
Syberchick70":10lbl568 said:

Whoo-boy. :roll: Now I feel bad.

Obviously, I have been a terrible bunny raiser since I haven't made it clear to my rabbits that incest is- well- icky.

I know, right?? :roll: :roll:
Hell, the kits (and especially the buckling) are 'practicing' with each other already. It's making me nervous. :x

Mine will breed siblings or parent to offspring with absolutely no hesitation at all! :eek: :shock: :eek:

Horrible, nasty rabbits!!! For shame! ;)

Actually, that's where I thought your friend was going with that advice! :lol: She must not have kept her rabbits together for very long if she never had an accidental litter out of a growout pen.

I have no idea what her deal is... but I'm glad I know enough not to listen to her. :p I mean, I'm sure I still have some time for the babies to become sexually mature, but I don't want to take unnecessary chances.

He'll be better off by himself, especially since yours are not standard commercial size rabbits. Maturity comes earlier the smaller they are (usually) and bucks will try to castrate each other. Trust me- it isn't something you want to see.

I know you will feel guilty that he is alone, so will give him more attention. Bucks usually make better pets anyway, so he will have a great start on making a really nice pet for someone. :)

Ah that makes me feel so much better, thanks! :D

By the way, I just weighed everyone. At 7wks, the kits are averaging about 1lb 10oz (the buckling is 1lb 14oz and one doe was 1lb 13oz). Scarlett weighs in right at, or very close to, 6.5lbs. He might be slightly under that, hard to tell. He wouldn't sit completely still for the scale. ;) <br /><br /> -- Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:53 am -- <br /><br />
The kits are only about 6 weeks old or so, aren't they?

They just hit 7 weeks.

:thinking: I would put your favorite doe with him. Because, y'know, it would be pretty irresponsible of you to foist a possibly pregnant doeling off on some unsuspecting pet buyer. You'd best shoulder the burden yourself. :whistle:

And then later, you can let her cohabitate with her dad for a little while, since, as you know, rabbits have a strong social stigma against incest. ;)

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Of course my darling rabbits know better than to breed with their siblings!! :roll:

Yeah, I would be worried about another 'oops' litter this soon though. My goodness. I would have to start stacking them up.

hmmmmm ;) lol

Syberchick70":300mjjre said:
Yeah, I would be worried about another 'oops' litter this soon though. My goodness. I would have to start stacking them up.

hmmmmm ;) lol

What a novel idea! :p

Someone should design a system for that... oh, wait, some other rabbit obsessed individual already has...

3stack.jpg

I'm just now reading this thread but I appreciate your dream.
It wasn't that long ago I would have not imagined that I'd have both pet and show quality Mini Lops that I'm breeding. I would not have imagined how easily I'd have a waiting list either.
It has been a very positive experience for me thus far. I am enjoying it and have been blessed with wonderful people that are purchasing.
It really does depend a lot on the area, how many Mini Lop breeders there are, how many pet stores locally have them, how popular showing is in the area, and thus what the demand is. It sounds like you are in a good situation for there to possibly be good demand.

I wist you the best on your dream should you pursue it!

MamaSheepdog":2c85vz0a said:
Syberchick70":2c85vz0a said:

hmmmmm ;) lol

What a novel idea! :p

Someone should design a system for that... oh, wait, some other rabbit obsessed individual already has...

:rotfl: :rotfl:
:bunnyhop: :bunnyhop: :bunnyhop: :bunnyhop:

Mo' bunnies... mo' bunnies... <br /><br /> -- Tue Mar 17, 2015 2:28 pm -- <br /><br />
WhWRabbitry":2c85vz0a said:
I'm just now reading this thread but I appreciate your dream.
It wasn't that long ago I would have not imagined that I'd have both pet and show quality Mini Lops that I'm breeding. I would not have imagined how easily I'd have a waiting list either.
It has been a very positive experience for me thus far. I am enjoying it and have been blessed with wonderful people that are purchasing.
It really does depend a lot on the area, how many Mini Lop breeders there are, how many pet stores locally have them, how popular showing is in the area, and thus what the demand is. It sounds like you are in a good situation for there to possibly be good demand.

I wist you the best on your dream should you pursue it!

Thank you! :D

I've made contact with a few breeders who are not TOO far away (reasonable driving distance of a couple of hours). I have discovered one potential problem though.

Folks are saying that when they get together at the shows (like anything within 4-5hrs from here), and start comparing pedigrees, they're discovering that all of the MLs around here are pretty closely related. In fact, the breeders are DYING for 'NEW BLOOD' (that sounds awful after the meat talk) in their breeding programs.

Now, that could potentially put me in a very GOOD position, if I'm able to snag any breeders from further away. I also don't know where my boy came from, so I don't know if HE is also 'closely related' to all of the stock within driving distance.

Also, I'm still curious to know the 'ins and outs' of the fact that my boy is not pedigreed. He certainly LOOKS like a purebred ML to me, but no papers. I don't know if that means he can't produce desirable breeding stock for the breeders?? Or how that affects things in general. Obviously, it isn't an issue if I'm just producing for the pet market, but I feel like in doing that, I'm missing a huge potential customer base.

Syberchick70":3c6uw5oz said:
Now, that could potentially put me in a very GOOD position, if I'm able to snag any breeders from further away.

You want some really high quality Mini Lops? She hasn't been on in a while, but our member Peach has rabbits from some of the top breeders in the country. She is in Georgia, but could likely arrange transport for you.

member/Peach/

http://georgiapeachrabbitry.weebly.com/

When you talk to her, tell her it's been eight months since she visited us here at RabbitTalk... and she better fix that soon! ;)

MamaSheepdog":2z2jxomw said:
Syberchick70":2z2jxomw said:
Now, that could potentially put me in a very GOOD position, if I'm able to snag any breeders from further away.

You want some really high quality Mini Lops? She hasn't been on in a while, but our member Peach has rabbits from some of the top breeders in the country. She is in Georgia, but could likely arrange transport for you.

member/Peach/

http://georgiapeachrabbitry.weebly.com/

When you talk to her, tell her it's been eight months since she visited us here at RabbitTalk... and she better fix that soon! ;)

oooooohhh!!!! Well... That's a person I need to make contact with! :D
Thanks! <br /><br /> -- Wed Mar 18, 2015 2:17 pm -- <br /><br /> I got the two condos completed for the adult rabbits and separated the littles into different cages. I now have the two that are spoken for in a 40x18 by themselves, so they can learn to be best friends (hopefully), the little buckling in a smaller cage by himself (but near the other bunnies) and a set of three doelings in each 30x36 (which I stacked on top of each other... but I really need the stands for them). I have Daddy Scarlett off to the left in his condo - figured I would put some distance between him and his hunny-bun to discourage spraying, and momma River on the right in her condo. I think it looks pretty nice, even if it was a lot of work getting it all set up. :p

cagesetup.jpg

Wow, that looks fantastic! Good job!

I love those condos. Palatial digs for your bunnies. :D

Thanks! Both of the adult buns seem to appreciate the chance to stretch their legs even in their own cages. The babies have a lot more room to leap around. The little buck seems confused about being alone, but I guess he'll be ok. I decided to take a quick picture while everything is all clean. :lol: :lol:

Latest posts

Back