daydream breeders

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hmmmm, doe....

A deer, a female deer??? Sorry, I don't have any deer right now.

DBA":6glvk1dg said:
Hmmmm, doe....

A deer, a female deer??? Sorry, I don't have any deer right now.

:rotfl: :detective: <br /><br /> -- Fri Mar 20, 2015 5:43 pm -- <br /><br /> I have some fun news regarding my small breeding ideas. First of all, talked to my partner about it this morning and he's on board. Of course he did say I should find homes for this litter first. :D

I also learned that my buck was shipped in from California. That's kind of cool because he definitely isn't closely related to the local MLs. I would love to get some feedback regarding him and what I should look for in a doe to compliment his build. I took some more pictures today, but haven't gotten then resized yet.

Also, our local Tractor Supply manager is kind of excited about it and has offered to let me bring my litters out and set up a pen in the store to sell the babies. :mrgreen:

I plan to do that with this litter if they haven't sold in two weeks.

Sounds like a great opportunity!

Syberchick70":2z8zln56 said:
Those are great points and I'm sure there are local folks who raise meat rabbits and wouldn't mind processing a few. I really have no idea how much it might cost, or what a reasonable price to pay would be.

I also updated my OP with two pictures of Scarlett today. He's turned into a beefy boy. :lol:

I'd try to find someone who would process them in return for the hides which equates to maybe a couple dollars a head for an unprocessed hide from a normal furred rabbit.

Do you like the meat ?! Might be a good idea to pick one up from a local meat breeder to see it you like the stuff.

Ramjet":11cctdve said:
I'd try to find someone who would process them in return for the hides which equates to maybe a couple dollars a head for an unprocessed hide from a normal furred rabbit.

Do you like the meat ?! Might be a good idea to pick one up from a local meat breeder to see it you like the stuff.

That's not a bad idea since these rabbits should have nice hides.
As for whether we like rabbit meat.... it probably would be a good idea to try some out. I can't imagine that we wouldn't like it though. Can't be any gamier than venison and we all really like venison.

Zass":39hp78f9 said:
Gamey? Nope, I've never hard anyone use that term in conjunction with domestic rabbit.

The only meat I've ever had that I didn't like was frog. :x
The combination of fishy chicken just didn't float my boat.

Syberchick70":2n0h58wb said:
Zass":2n0h58wb said:
Gamey? Nope, I've never hard anyone use that term in conjunction with domestic rabbit.

It all tastes like rattle snake

I like tame rabbit, but I can't stomach wild rabbit.

Zass":2qfb6us0 said:

Me either ... but the biggest thing for me is not taste but texture . Its different than anything else I can think of. Then again , I'm a sushi / sashimi junkie .... so I can deal with just about any texture.

I think rabbit tastes a lot like chicken .... but the texture is a little more dense.

The reason I started raising rabbits for meat was because of health issues , high cholesterol being the chief culprit. Rabbit is lower in cholesterol than chicken. The added benefit is that a little rabbit goes a long way , portions tend to be smaller helping control weight. I'm really surprised that it hasn't turned into a fad diet ....

DBA":lfhdooc8 said:
Syberchick70":lfhdooc8 said:
Zass":lfhdooc8 said:

It all tastes like rattle snake

I like tame rabbit, but I can't stomach wild rabbit.

Rattlesnake is delicious. ;) <br /><br /> -- Fri Mar 20, 2015 9:35 pm -- <br /><br />
Ramjet":lfhdooc8 said:
Zass":lfhdooc8 said:

Me either ... but the biggest thing for me is not taste but texture . Its different than anything else I can think of. Then again , I'm a sushi / sashimi junkie .... so I can deal with just about any texture.[\Quote]

I enjoy sashimi. Some of it anyway. A lot of it.
I like sushi, just not the nasty rolls with cream cheese or fake crab meat.

[\quote]I think rabbit tastes a lot like chicken .... but the texture is a little more dense.

The reason I started raising rabbits for meat was because of health issues , high cholesterol being the chief culprit. Rabbit is lower in cholesterol than chicken. The added benefit is that a little rabbit goes a long way , portions tend to be smaller helping control weight. I'm really surprised that it hasn't turned into a fad diet ....

I'm sure we would like it. What's not to like? :)

Rabbit has a delicate flavor. And the meat is not as chewy as chicken. My 6 year old grandson who isn't big on chicken..unless its fried..absolutely loves rabbit. He can eat more than the adults. What is that old saying...Try it you'll like it... :lol:

Syberchick70":32of5p7t said:
I got the two condos completed for the adult rabbits and separated the littles into different cages. I now have the two that are spoken for in a 40x18 by themselves, so they can learn to be best friends (hopefully), the little buckling in a smaller cage by himself (but near the other bunnies) and a set of three doelings in each 30x36 (which I stacked on top of each other... but I really need the stands for them). I have Daddy Scarlett off to the left in his condo - figured I would put some distance between him and his hunny-bun to discourage spraying, and momma River on the right in her condo. I think it looks pretty nice, even if it was a lot of work getting it all set up. :p

Okay, question. Do you have any trouble with peeing outside the enclosure with those condos? I'd really like to build one for Aslan, but he's really into marking -- not spraying, thank goodness, but little puddles here and there and abundant bunny berries on any place he's trying to claim. I really want to have him neutered, though I'm not sure if it will make much difference at 3 years. Just wondering how likely he is to not back up to a wire corner on the third floor and pee?

Miss M":39vrs3ev said:
Okay, question. Do you have any trouble with peeing outside the enclosure with those condos? I'd really like to build one for Aslan, but he's really into marking -- not spraying, thank goodness, but little puddles here and there and abundant bunny berries on any place he's trying to claim. I really want to have him neutered, though I'm not sure if it will make much difference at 3 years. Just wondering how likely he is to not back up to a wire corner on the third floor and pee?

Not sure about your bunnies, but so far I've been seeing marking behavior from the DOE, on the bottom floor only. She left a few puddles in spots and berries ALL OVER the place, but only on the bottom. After a few days now, that behavior is slowing down. She's using her litter box MOST of the time. It is possible for the pee to leak out, but I don't see it as a serious, long term issue.

The buck has not sprayed in the new setup yet, that I can tell. He's been better about not leaving puddles, nor as many berries. Neither of them seem inclined to potty on the shelves (so far). Worst case, I'm considering a liner or pee guard of some type around the bottom edge.

Worst issue, so far, has been that I don't yet have appropriate clips to hold the doors closed and thought I could use heavy twist ties. Smart bunnies found those pretty quickly and learned to pull them right off. :oops:

What I have used to keep those doors closed is some leash clips. You can get them fairly cheap at either home improvement stores (like Lowe's or Home Depot) or at any place that sells tack supplies. For Tack they are often called Rein Clips.
rein_snap.png

I just picked up some small carrabiners to keep the doors closed. I'll see how those work. :D <br /><br /> -- Mon Mar 23, 2015 4:14 pm -- <br /><br /> The first little baby just went to its new home. They turn 8 wks in two days, so I figured it was ok. Seem like nice folks, they have another rabbit so already know a lot about them. I saw the cage they have and it looks like it's a nice size for her.

Best wishes, little Peanut Butter of the one lop! :cry: :oops:

curelom":3e9019rz said:
:group-hug2: Congratulations on finding a home for Peanut Butter! I hope she enjoys her new home. :)

Thank you! They say she's eating and drinking well, seems to be settling in nicely. They also said that her other ear lopped today! :D I now think there will be other lops. Most of them are going around with droopy airplane ears now, but the ears are large, not short. So cute.

I can't even put my rabbits in a solid bottom cage with high sides without the room being trashed in pee. Within a few months of them on the porch the outside of the house was brown. We put up a new wall to divide the basement and then stacked the 6" sided cages with dwarf rabbits along it. It's yellow and brown to 4' up.

akane":1dky4hbo said:
I can't even put my rabbits in a solid bottom cage with high sides without the room being trashed in pee. Within a few months of them on the porch the outside of the house was brown. We put up a new wall to divide the basement and then stacked the 6" sided cages with dwarf rabbits along it. It's yellow and brown to 4' up.

Wow.. :x
I guess you're talking about my bunny condos? So far so good with them.

The doe was pretty messy there for a few days, but she has settled down. In fact, I swept out & wiped down her condo yesterday and gave her a covered cat litter pan. She seems to love it and hasn't dropped more than a couple of berries outside it do far. :shrug:

-- Sat Mar 28, 2015 12:07 pm --

Ok, so I've been told that I need to look for a Tort (broken tort?) and possibly a broken sable for my breeding adventure.

I just saw a picture of this doe... they're taunting me!!! :x She's all the way in Oregon. :cry:

TimWoolman_oregon.jpg <br /><br /> -- Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:14 am -- <br /><br /> Doe in KS - born 1/7/15... ONLY 13hrs away from me :cry:

So, if I were evaluating this girl, would I say that she has a very nice head and crown, but is a little lean in body type? I mean, everything else looks nice about her, doesn't it?

Hinkley_KS2.jpg
Hinkley_KS.jpg

Latest posts

Back