What's wrong with this picture? ---Newbie advise needed.

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lmannyr

Reaction score
First post here, so hello to everyone. Been probing this site for 6 months now.

I have. 3 does ( 6m, 5m, 5m) and 1 buck (5m). There all nzw being raised for meat and fertizer (poop). Bred all three does 23 days ago. Palpated their belies but I don't feel any lumps in any of them. I'm not sure if I'm checking in the right area (between back legs and up toward ribs. Can I try rebreeding?

Also, during my belly checks, I went ahead and checked ears, genitals, eyes, and ears. Noticed buck had mites in ears and what looked like a rAw penis. Olive oil in the ears seems to have cured the mites. Here is what his penis looks like.

Thanks!!

Attachments

• IMG_1037_2.jpg
    IMG_1037_2.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 1,064
  • IMG_1039_2.jpg
    IMG_1039_2.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 1,064
Yow, that does look raw! Everything else around it looks fine. Strange.

Very good pics. Hopefully, someone more knowledgeable than I will pipe up.

Yes I feed hay. But Never noticed him hump it. They are in wire cages. Hoping it's not syphilis. All are eating and drinking well.

Have the does gained weight since you bred them? That is one way to check for the next time if you're not confident of your palpating skills. An std could cause failed pregnancies. If the does turn out not to be pregnant I would not attempt to breed them to another buck or the buck to other does until you are certain they are healthy. If it is an std you would be spreading it. I'd try breeding them back to each other again and give at least 3 strikes for the group. If not successful, I'd cull.

No I have not weighed any of them, ever. Should I be weighing them on a regular basis?

So will I know for certain what's the deal with the buck? I don't if it's an std. Hoping someone tat has seen this before can direct me onto te right path.<br /><br />__________ Sat Mar 10, 2012 8:10 pm __________<br /><br />Just took another peek at the buck. His penis looks much better. I'll keep checking every few days.

You can dose the buck with some injectable penicillin-- INJECTABLe-- NOT oral!!!
Sometimes, a change in body chemistry will cause some of the more delicate tissues to become raw looking-- even a change in the urine concentration due to water intake will irritate the tissues.

Weighing isn't absolutely necessary for raising rabbits but if you want to track feed consumption v.s. growth in your kits and monitor the health of your rabbits a small scale can be your most valuable tool. If a rabbit is starting to go off it's feed or has picked up internal parasites often the scale will tell you it has lost weight.

Frosted Rabbits":4u1e9ba1 said:
You can dose the buck with some injectable penicillin-- INJECTABLe-- NOT oral!!!
Sometimes, a change in body chemistry will cause some of the more delicate tissues to become raw looking-- even a change in the urine concentration due to water intake will irritate the tissues.

I don't have any medications for my rabbitry. What medications and dosages should I keep on hand at all times? What dose Pcn for the raw penis? I'll recheck tonight how he is doing.<br /><br />__________ Sun Mar 11, 2012 6:17 pm __________<br /><br />
arachyd":4u1e9ba1 said:
Weighing isn't absolutely necessary for raising rabbits but if you want to track feed consumption v.s. growth in your kits and monitor the health of your rabbits a small scale can be your most valuable tool. If a rabbit is starting to go off it's feed or has picked up internal parasites often the scale will tell you it has lost weight.

Thanks for the tip. Need to pick ilup a small scale.

Penicillin is the common treatment for an STD.It can also be applied to an open wound-- just must keep it ut of the digestive system, as it does kill gut flora-- and that means it will stop proper digestion. Ilike having penicillin, and a tetracycline based kept on hand. the tetracycline covers more issues thanpen, and does not need to be refrigerated-- a plus if one is roughing it!!!

It could also just be an injury...is he housed with other rabbits? Could have gotten in a fight or somehow scraped it on the floor wire...

Checked again last night. It looks normal. All is good.<br /><br />__________ Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:59 pm __________<br /><br />Each have their own wire cage.

Welcome to RT!

I wouldn't try to rebreed your does right now- you are only a week out from having kits if they are pregnant. Some does go to 35 days, so wait until then to breed. I would suggest that between now and then you keep checking your buck's penis to see if the redness recurs. Do you have another buck that you can use? It would be a shame if he has VD and ruins all of your does.

It might be a case of the does are not old enough to breed as well....some lines take longer to develop and just because the buck is ready doesn't mean the does are. It might be 7-8 months before they actually take, so if its not some thing you want in a line you'll have to find one that's more commercial based and bred for earlier breeding.

Nest boxes go out tomorrow.

What is "VD"?

Where can I pick up the antibiotics to keep on standby.

Thank you everyone for the advise.

VD = Venereal Disease. Maybe I am showing my age... I guess now they call it STD (Sexually Transmitted Disease).

You can buy antibiotics at a feed store, but they are marketed for large livestock such as sheep, goats, swine, and horses. You definitely need a scale and a calculator (or an aptitude for math!) so you can adjust dosage.

Back