my colors

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rittert3

Reaction score
Trying to figure out what my does genetic color is (2 does same color) I bred them both to the same GT black steel brkn buck and got: black, chestnut, choc. chestnut?, and what I was told was opal but after looking at pics look like lilac steel (not sure on the tip color). 1 of the 2 does is slightly darker and looks to be black frosted pearl, the other has the face shading but only has patches of rust colored tipping. Both great moms but not very typey, they did throw some awesome kits for me though.

If you got chocolate then the buck as well as the does carry chocolate. They all must carry dilute as well. Sounds like you have almost everything under the black agouti...

This color guide is what I've been using for referance. http://www.hoppinherdofhares.com/lopcolorguide.html<br /><br />__________ Wed May 30, 2012 3:10 am __________<br /><br />So after more research, I'm a little rusty on my genetics, but I bred a GT Steel buck (A-B-C-D-E(s)-) over a (not positive) Black Frosted Pearl doe (A-B-c(chl)-D-ee). I got black broken (1 solid from doe's similar litter mate bred to the same buck). Now the Agoutis seem to have a choc. gene attached to the broken gene, the solids are 100% chestnut but the brokens look chocolate chestnut. The other color is unknown looking at pictures I have found 2 or 3 possiblities, Opal or Lilac Steel. They don't seem to have the gold to make them Opal or ever GT lilac steel to me they look ST Lilac Steel. Also I have had 3 brokens of the mystery color and all have died by 3 days old clinching to the teet and getting out of the box, I find it ironic that it is only that color. So after my findings, what genetic riddles can I solve within my herd? (the does sister threw all the same colors with the exception of a solid black and I lost my buck but I'm saving a couple of his daughters and I've found a new, Typey, GT Steel Buck) I need to figure out the unknowns on the punnet square and learn all this that I didn't in high school biology studying mendel.

Back