My chickens my life my rabbits,new pics pg13

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Grandparents are hard to lose, maybe because we're usually younger when they go. My absolute favorite grandma (Mom B) passed when I was only 22. I would have fallen apart I think, except my DAD (her son) was falling apart. I helped him pick out her casket and the dress for her burial, which helped him, and then what he said at her service helped ME. The funeral home had done a good job with her, and of course a lot of wrinkles just fade when we are no longer worried about anything: my dad said "I never realized how much pain she must have been in the last few years, she truly looks at peace". Her troubles were over, and she left us beautiful memories of her tenacious spirit, wisdom and humor. May you also find that peace and the ability to keep your nonna's spirit with you.

I'm so sorry to hear this Aldo. May you feel God's comfort at this time. Blessings to you and your family.

I'm so very sorry for your loss! It was heartbreaking when I lost my grandparents, so I can relate, and understand. My thoughts are with you, and your family.

My thoughts are with you Aldo, having lost my 3 remaining grandparents in the space of a year I know it isn't easy and nothing said can make a difference. Remember the good times and love from your Nonna

Thank you everyone ...It has been a LONNNNNG exhausting week, poor animals didnt get too much of y attention, but I have to get back to life as planned!!....Cause it does go on

(hugs)

And even though I never had the privilege of meeting your Nonna, I woud bet that she would be smiling to see the post above.

:( I'm really sorry you had to go through that, Aldo. When my grandpa passed me and my whole family spent 11 days in South Carolina relying on others to feed our 80 animals. It was CRAZY. Especially because they had to deal with our insane ram, Nigel.

I hope you got my PM. I'm going through a similar situation.

Hey guys,Im finally getting back into the swing of things.... My ( kits are all doing VERYYYY well, They will hit 2 months old On october 7th.......The average weight is 2.9 lbs....Still too small to butcher.... My question is at what weight do ya'll process at. the reason why im having trouble is, the breedof the father is unknown, not sure if it was the bick I picked up along with the doe, or the mini rex buck, The only reason why Im leaning toward Mini rex is because he was black and 8 out of these 9 kits are black lol. but these kits are VERRRY meaty and stocky...HUGE ears. Id appreciate any input ya'll could give... AND ill br posting pics tonight or tom morning :)

Thankyou Everyone
Aldo

Glad you're back in the swing of things, Aldo. :)

Many people butcher their rabbits at about 5 pounds. Don't make yourself crazy trying to achieve this by 8 weeks. Ten to twelve weeks is more reasonable, unless you have top meat stock and raise them only on pellets. I usually raise mine to 14-16 weeks, since we prefer the slightly more mature meat.

Most people butcher at 5-6 pounds live weight.

Meat rabbits generally dress out at 50-60% so butchering at 5 pounds will give you a little more than 2.5 lbs dressed.

I find the flavor changes with age and do not like the taste of mature rabbits so I butcher at 16 weeks at the latest.

Thanx guys.... i gotta get pics up, maybe after work today...

__________ Sat Oct 05, 2013 6:11 pm __________

These are the kits born August 7th 9 out of 9 made it!! theyu are around3 lbs each already,only 1 is chestnut,all the rest are/were black, NOW the black ones are gewtting grey hairs, can you tell from the pics??? what does this mean, could there be some champaign dargentes mixed in this, since the father is unknown and the mom came to me pregnant??

Thanks GUYS!!

__________ Sat Nov 09, 2013 6:22 pm __________

Just bought a bag of layena chicken feed by purina "sun fresh" laying mash/meal...im a huge fan of blue seal layer mash, but for the same price (15.00 +or- for a 50 lb bag) I figured id see what all the buzz is about, Layena has Marigold extract which is supposed to turn the yolk even more orange than it is, and since I started selling my eggs the customers might like that AND the food is FREE of all animal proteins and fats.

Any input
Thanks Aldo

__________ Sat Nov 09, 2013 6:23 pm __________

Attachments

• IMAG0349.jpg
    IMAG0349.jpg
    452.1 KB · Views: 666
  • IMAG0350.jpg
    IMAG0350.jpg
    260.9 KB · Views: 666
LOL!!! :D :lol:
MamaSheepdog":2n459f1o said:
Aww- poor Flemish! There are plenty of girls out there that aren't like that- but they are easier to find in the country. Not so much in the suburbs. :(

How about going to some rabbit shows? At least the girls there are interested in rabbits. :)

__________ Sat Nov 09, 2013 4:39 pm __________

My does always go crazy building a week before to:) strange for me??:/
Flemishstar":2n459f1o said:
Thanks...they were both bred on the same day...and BOTH are making a nest....a week early...thats odd too me that both would be false...they bred atleast twice with 2 diff bucks....(sounds sick huh) lol

__________ Sat Jul 27, 2013 12:36 am __________

If they both kindle...Theyll have to take me away in a 5150 hold hahha

__________ Sat Jul 27, 2013 9:47 pm __________
<br /><br />__________ Sat Nov 09, 2013 4:50 pm __________<br /><br />Really really nice pics of EVERYTHING LOL!!!(good thing) this is a very interesting post wow kept me busy for a while:)(nice to know there are still some out in the boonies red neck type people :)
Nice post!!!!

Yurned out they werent bred!! Thanks for the nice comments!!! :)

__________ Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:00 pm __________

My brother owns a flea market ground, and a closed stand/store, I finally decided to sell my hens eggs their since I had accumulated 15 dozen (in new egg cartons) and They all sod for 3 dollars a dozen WOOHOO

__________ Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:24 am __________

Has ANY ONE heard of the new "fire wood" for stoves called BIO Bricks its compressed wood bricks abd takes up 1/2 less space, I bought i 30 brick pack, Im not too keen on it they are basically humungous wood pellets? check it out on google its interesting

Congrats on the great egg sales Aldo. That's fantastic! :)
Don't know about the Bio Bricks though :popcorn:

Flemishstar":2yja04bt said:
Just bought a bag of layena chicken feed by purina "sun fresh" laying mash/meal...im a huge fan of blue seal layer mash, but for the same price (15.00 +or- for a 50 lb bag) I figured id see what all the buzz is about, Layena has Marigold extract which is supposed to turn the yolk even more orange than it is, and since I started selling my eggs the customers might like that AND the food is FREE of all animal proteins and fats.
Chickens are omnivores, which means they eat plants and animals. There's no problem with chickens eating animal proteins and fats. :)

Awesome job with the egg sales!!!

Latest posts

Back