My chickens my life my rabbits,new pics pg13

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flemishstar

Reaction score
So everyone I thought Id share a little about myself as most people my age arent into the things I am, Im 29 Italian american, My parents were born In Italy. While I was young My grandmother who lives with us raised us and I was always her little helper, Since the age of 5 i always assisted her in butchering our buns and chickens, she taught me that animals could be both pets and for food, we loved our animals, they serve man and we eat them, nothing goes to waste, I also helped her farm our 1 acre garden, she taught methat the best way to do it was to take a shovel and do it all by hand, which I still continue this tradition til this day. She is now 92 and still with us, but no longer can do the things she used too, but now its my turn, i had taken over her 60 + rabbitry but had to get rid of it while I was in college now I only have 2 breeding does...and 25 chickens and a 1/4 acre garden lol... Here are some pics of what I have goin on and of myself..Im def a country boy, I have never worn gloves to clean out and hutch or chicken coop, lol,, I do not hesitate loathing in it barefoot until its all done!! lol i HATE wearing shoes in the yard OH WELL take me or leave me is what I say, I love everything about nature, the good the bad and the not so pretty!! When Im not working, you'll find me barefoot and shirtless, playing with the chickens, rolling around in field of clover and dandelions or picking grass for my rabbits, or bulding something (did I mention I love building with wood) I built all my coops, hutches , barns etc lol....I will post morepics as I take them...Enjoy

__________ Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:31 pm __________

__________ Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:32 pm __________

my hens

__________ Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:34 pm __________

Attachments

• Me In italy at sulfer tap.jpg
    Me In italy at sulfer tap.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 1,351
  • yay.jpg
    yay.jpg
    558.7 KB · Views: 1,351
  • chickens.jpg
    chickens.jpg
    333.9 KB · Views: 1,347
This is in the spring

__________ Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:40 pm __________

Im gonna take pics of my garden and post those later on !!! Thank you!!!

__________ Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:40 pm __________

They noe free range freely with out the fence

Attachments

• spring.jpg
    spring.jpg
    879.6 KB · Views: 1,343
We have something in common you and I. I was raised by my grandparents, and my grandmother was always more like my mother. I loved growing up with such a simple upbringing, they kept me grounded, and taught me how to respect. It's a very different life than I would have had growing up with my mother, and I have always been grateful for it!

Another thing we have in common..........my husband is notorious for cleaning horse stalls without shoes on! It absolutely GROSSES me out! :lol:

I have to just say too........you're a very handsome young man! :)

I'm a first generation American too! My parents were Danish.

It is something special to be raised by those from "the old country", who have such a deep appreciation for the freedoms of America. They bring with them the knowledge that with hard work, in America anything is possible.

You are lucky to have your grandmother. I only met one of mine one time, since all of our family remains in Denmark.

I must say, for not wearing gloves, your hands look very well manicured. Mine are anything but, to say the least. :roll:

I will second Geri's assessment that you are a handsome young man. I see some good breeding behind you. :mrgreen:

I hope you will always find joy in working with your hands and raising plants and animals. There is nothing that compares to the joy it brings.

Nice to "meet" you. I'm looking forward to more pics of your various projects and critters. :)

haha thank you so much for the comments....Im very thankful to have grown up grounded... I hate stereotypes....some people by looking at me think im a "pretty boy" then when they find out the truth they cant believe it.. lol I hate people that are into looks etc and are stuck up..My friens range form crazy looking farm folk (who i prefer to be around with the most) to your normal everyday people you see in a supermarket lol.I was on VACA seeing my fam in italy in that pic... and my mom made me soak my hands in bleach for hours before we left lol hahahah... And If I had horse stalls Id be cleaning them barefoot also..

Flemishstar":al6cdbqn said:
I was on VACA seeing my fam in italy in that pic... and my mom made me soak my hands in bleach for hours before we left lol hahahah...

Lol! We have some friends that live in Hidden Hills, a very exclusive neighborhood near Calabassas. They all have house keepers, grounds keepers, dog walkers, etc. Manual labor there is delegated to the peons. ;)

I have actually used sandpaper on my hands before we visit in an attempt to make them smooth. I start with 80-100 grit and work my way up to 400-600 grit. :roll:

I have debunked stereotypes myself- their friends, after hearing about "the pioneer woman" expect to meet the stereotypical sturdy, uneducated, Russian beet farmer type (now there's a stereotype for ya! :p )- and instead meet a petite little person who might blow away in high winds. :tornado:

hahahaha good for you!!! Yes I forgot to mention I also use sand paper and or nail files on my cuticles and knuckles and sides of my hands lol ....sometimes I show up atmy firnd house who live in Greenwich CT with a misc. wood chip or rabbit turd or a stray piece of straw on my shirt lol<br /><br />__________ Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:36 pm __________<br /><br />

Attachments

• front.jpg
    front.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 1,307
  • tomatoes.jpg
    tomatoes.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 1,307
  • patio.jpg
    patio.jpg
    522.9 KB · Views: 1,307
What a beautiful place, and happy animals! :D

Sounds like your grandmother brought you up well. :) I know what you mean about preferring to be around crazy-looking farm folk... they are way more real than anyone else you will meet! People think they are simple and ignorant. My experience has been that they are sharp as tacks, and have an amazing handle on the way lofty Washington politics will affect them personally with their farms, and also their communities.

haha thankyou and sooo true<br /><br />__________ Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:20 pm __________<br /><br />Also were have all the good women gone?? lol I was just discussing this with my dad, as he think im gonna be a bachelor the rest of my life... I mean I love spoiling my gfs but lately all I find are stuck up girls who want to be treated like royalty, hate getting their hands even alittle bit dirty, want to be waited on hand and foot and think they are movie stars and expect to live lavish life styles as if the are in hollywood lol...I find myself playing opposite roles on top of bringing home the bacon, I cook, I clean , make the beds, sweep the floors, and have dinner ready, all while tending to the animals and taking care of my property, So for now I give up! lol

Aww- poor Flemish! There are plenty of girls out there that aren't like that- but they are easier to find in the country. Not so much in the suburbs. :(

How about going to some rabbit shows? At least the girls there are interested in rabbits. :)

I think your right,,lol....."hey little lady, thats a nice Rex ya git there", "wanna see my Lop" lol. Thats a good Idea but I kinda dont like bothing people there, I know how serious some of them shows could get. But I do wanna get atleast 1 purebred, so I guess Ill have an excuse to go to the shows then lol ...right?<br /><br />__________ Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:35 pm __________<br /><br />or even better..."I got a got a Giant Flemish, wanna see" :lol: :lol: :mrgreen:

Your yard looks beautiful, as do all your animals. You must work very hard to keep it like that. Half the time I feel like I am 2 steps behind the weeds in the garden. The other half of the time I know the weeds are winning. :)

Your chickens will stay within the fence? I have ours in a dog run with a coop, and then move it every couple weeks to fresh ground.

We have 3 plus acres but I worry they will fly over a fence without a top. I have extra fencing and I would love it if I could fence in a huge section in part of the garden we aren't using just so they could do weed control for me.

You'll find a girl. Keep looking, one is out there for you that will share the work load and not expect you to do it all. Thanks so much for sharing!

Laura, thatgfence was just temporary until they learned were "home is" now I let them free range...I also have a few acres and they basically just stay in that one are...under the vinyard were it cool.. or they sctratch around the fenced garden....Thank you so much, yes it is hardwork, but I actually enjoy it ALOT...I actually had then penned up for 3 years cause i thought theyd go all over, but one day I didnt lock it up right adn they escaped while i was at work,,, I came home and there they were just pecking around their coop as if theyd been doing it forever....so that basically solved that problem for me lol And CAtlle cait, Ive been hearing alot lady about these polish girls, and how I should find one to share my life with lol , I actually worked with polish people before college and they reminded me SO much of my Italian family, also VERY smart and VERY hard working people ...too bad your in Michigan lol<br /><br />__________ Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:33 pm __________<br /><br />Oh and Cait I just read your Blog...and I have to say Im Floored about your farmer seeking farmer section....lol Im actually a little scared as I was just stating the same.,.. how ironic

I want chickens so bad . I'm jealous. I dream of having a a flock of fluffy silkies <3 :silkie: Hopefully when I finish up with college here in the next two years I can move my rabbitry out to the country side and get myself a flock of chickens and a fat shaggy pony (The perks of being a shorty. Never to big for a pony :p ) and a few goats.

I think we all share something similar.....nobody either expects or have a expectation about our lifestyles that is way out there.

People think I'm the unassuming, small one....but I raise and process my rabbits, catch and clean fish, work with horses, garden,hunt small game... Surprises a lot of people, but I usually respected for it and I hold a lot of respect for people that can do that same.

I really don't get along well people that have no density to them. I like talking to the vendors at famers markets and just farmer-like people in general :)....and of course rabbittalk people :lol:

I dated a guy that was more concerned with his hair than anything else. God forbid a strand fall out of place :roll:

I'm very greatful that I have a boy that tolerates my rabbit habit and loves the outdoors as much as I do, or it wouldn't work! :lol:

Peach, lol....I find my self talking to all the vendors at the farmers markets also.....They are suprised when they find out how much I know.. lol... I guess since I dont go there with mud on my face people think im a pretty boy honestly im the opposite, I dont even look in a mirror before I leave for work if im not shaving that day HONESTLY ... And I only shave 3 times a week I guess Im lucky with my hair I keep it short, towel it dry and put a dot of gel on my hand and run it through my hair as im walking out the door lol,, if I remember

__________ Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:54 pm __________

<br /><br />__________ Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:01 pm __________<br /><br />Also Peach,Chickens are SO fun to watch (well at least to me they are)so smart and curious and just their expressions crack me up

Attachments

• friends wedding april 2013.jpg
    friends wedding april 2013.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 783
You see, MY problem is that I can't find a man who will let me stay home, cook, clean, and raise rabbits and young'uns the all natural way and he can go to work and bring home the bacon. I've grown up in a household where the men go shoot the critters, bring them home, and us ladies make it into food, and I like it like that. And, if he's okay with all of that, he's probably stoned or jobless himself.

We were listening to my church sermon one day (I get CDs from church because I teach Sunday school, which is during the grown-up service) and our pastor was talking about us serving the people who are drawn to us, whether that be the elderly, special needs children, etc, and my mother says, "Cait! He's talking about the troubled men who find you!" :?

For vanity's sake, I suppose I'll share my face. It's everywhere else on the internet, and I like this shirt.

Attachments

• purple shirt.jpg
    purple shirt.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 779
:( Im upset cause we want the exact same thing, and your so far...go figure, It would be perfecT!!!!what you offer would be the most that I would only ask for and wish to even get one of the things lol And your Very attractive.....

Flemishstar":170jrx7v said:
:( Im upset cause we want the exact same thing, and your so far...go figure, It would be perfecT!!!!what you offer would be the most that I would only ask for and wish to even get one of the things lol And your Very attractive.....

Aw, shucks.

Latest posts

Back