Mis-read Rabbittalk Abbreviations

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok, I will jump back in, since this one has been mentioned but not yet defined: SOP. From context, I am assuming it means Standard of Perfection, but that seems a rather arrogant term. And as a word, "sop" means to soak up something, or a thing used in such a manner, similar to "sponge". It can also be used pejoratively to mean a weak-willed person. Which makes for interesting reading in posts where folks emphasize the importance of "knowing your SOPs" :laugh:

Oh, and for Florida's 2 cents worth (and I so represent all of the state - NOT), grammar and spelling are taught, but inconsistently, as there seems to be several educational methodology "philosophies" out there. From all my training (and I am certified to teach English and Reading, as well as Art, for what that's worth) and my own experiences, I feel it safe to say the MOST important thing contributing to good communication skills is to foster a love of reading. That is best achieved at home, but is seriously lacking these days. The next best thing, I would say, is to read aloud to children at every opportunity (as in: school or library volunteer), especially if you can use creative voices or costumes! :reading1:

dragonladyleanne":3ue5bnhf said:
SOP. From context, I am assuming it means Standard of Perfection

Ding, ding, ding!!! We have a Winnah! :up:

dragonladyleanne":3ue5bnhf said:
I feel it safe to say the MOST important thing contributing to good communication skills is to foster a love of reading.

Reading covers all the bases- spelling, grammar, punctuation... the more you read, the more you unconsciously absorb those details.

OneAcreFarm":3i1vjui0 said:
How about this one?
ABX = antibiotics
I used to work for ABX, before they lost the DHL contract. Now, will have a visual image of antibiotics, when I use that acronym/abbreviation. I do wonder, how they got ABX, as an abbreviation, for antibiotic, though! lol

dragonladyleanne":2gq4r7hi said:
Ok, I will jump back in, since this one has been mentioned but not yet defined: SOP.:
LOL!! I saw that one earlier on this thread, and I thought, "Of COURSE I know what that one means! It's 'standard operating procedure'!" Since I don't show, I never thought of "standard of perfection"! :lol: As they say, you can get out of the military, but you can't get the military out of you!

Piper":25tkybse said:
OneAcreFarm":25tkybse said:
How about this one?
ABX = antibiotics
I used to work for ABX, before they lost the DHL contract. Now, will have a visual image of antibiotics, when I use that acronym/abbreviation. I do wonder, how they got ABX, as an abbreviation, for antibiotic, though! lol

Anti-Biot-X....

Latest posts

Back