Mis-read Rabbittalk Abbreviations

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

-HRanchito

Reaction score
Chickies' "AI" thread got me...we need sentient computers to manage our rabbits! (It's really artificial insemination :lol: )
Also, whenever I read SF, I read San Franciscans in my head, (Since most rabbits are named after place names, and I guess I confuse them with Californians for a second) It takes me a minute to realize it is Silver Fox!
Any rabbit related/other abbreviations you have mis-read? Please share! :popcorn:

-HRanchito":2jfvpnjk said:
Chickies' "AI" thread got me...we need sentient computers to manage our rabbits! (It's really artificial insemination :lol: )
Also, whenever I read SF, I read San Franciscans in my head, (Since most rabbits are named after place names, and I guess I confuse them with Californians for a second) It takes me a minute to realize it is Silver Fox!
Any rabbit related/other abbreviations you have mis-read? Please share! :popcorn:

Yep! As a newbie to rabbits, my first thought on seeing the abbreviation SF is Science Fiction! Man, I would LOVE to own some Science Fiction rabbits!

I guess my favorites are the DH, DW, DD, D__, I had no idea what those were, and you don't want to know what I thought they were.

I'm sure some people were confused by the SOP thing too.

Piper":1ftl9bnt said:
what is that one about 'use may vary'?

YMMV? Your Mileage May Vary?

I think that falls into the "Texting" subcategory since it isn't strictly rabbit-related, though. :)

Anything related to awards at shows, I don't know what they mean, so I make something different up every time I see one.

BOV= Best of Variety
BOSV= Best Opposite Sex of Variety
BOB= Best of Breed
BOSB= Best Opposite Sex of Breed
BIS= Best in Show

It took me a coupe of minutes the first time I saw BOSS. My first thought was "You feed your employer to your rabbits a tablespoon at a time?!" :p :oops:
Then I reread the sentence.....

The ones I have the most trouble with are the breed abbreviations. The rest I'm ok with. I'm used to "DRS2S with a LRDW" ;)

3mina":91wka64a said:
It took me a coupe of minutes the first time I saw BOSS. My first thought was "You feed your employer to your rabbits a tablespoon at a time?!" :p :oops:

He'll think twice next time he comes to borrow my stapler! :lol:

-HRanchito":1qs6tcav said:
3mina":1qs6tcav said:

He'll think twice next time he comes to borrow my stapler! :lol:
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm still in a fog on some of these abbreviations....DD DW ?? Don't know what they mean.

Being a writer, I have a strong aversion to the abbreviated spellings used by some of the younger folks of today. I'm guilty of using some of them. Yet, they are common usages that I believe all readers are accustomed to. I've just not asked what some of them are, figuring sooner or later the "bulb" will come on in my dimly lit mind.

I'm still waiting for the illumination to arrive!

grumpy

DH = Dear Husband
DW = Dear Wife
DD = Dear Daughter
DS = Dear Son

It is a way to refer to your family without naming names on the internet....

grumpy":1m4x1p2n said:
I'm still in a fog on some of these abbreviations....DD DW ?? Don't know what they mean.

grumpy

IIRC... ( there's another one....if i remember correctly) DD, DW, DH stands for Dear Daughter, Dear Wife, Dear Husband. That is, providing one is Happy with DD, DW, or DH.... If not...the D can be replaced with other words LOL>

It has taken me a while... but very slowly i'm figuring out some of the meanings.

OneAcreFarm":v92tr9vz said:
DH = Dear Husband
DW = Dear Wife
DD = Dear Daughter
DS = Dear Son

It is a way to refer to your family without naming names on the internet....

That explains that why I don't know, I don't have any. The dogs are not usually embarrassed when I refer to them by name.

grumpy":188yfda0 said:
Being a writer, I have a strong aversion to the abbreviated spellings used by some of the younger folks of today.
I'm in complete agreement with you, Grumpy. Even more worrisome than the text abbreviations is the apparent inability of so many people to write a grammatically correct sentence. We were fortunate in having received formal instruction in grammar and spelling when we were in school. My understanding is that these things are no longer taught because they don't want to stifle the children's creativity. It didn't stifle mine or yours, did it?

MaggieJ":38ju6u3n said:
grumpy":38ju6u3n said:
Being a writer, I have a strong aversion to the abbreviated spellings used by some of the younger folks of today.
I'm in complete agreement with you, Grumpy. Even more worrisome than the text abbreviations is the apparent inability of so many people to write a grammatically correct sentence. We were fortunate in having received formal instruction in grammar and spelling when we were in school. My understanding is that these things are no longer taught because they don't want to stifle the children's creativity. It didn't stifle mine or yours, did it?
Raises hand, and blunders right in :)

- those of us that have had hearing problems, and learned our English from (old) United Kingdom storybooks and an old Bible, can have strange grammar. Please do not blame the United States Educational system, for my convoluted sentences. I was not home-schooled, either. My hearing and speech were so bad, that even with speech therapy, it was still hard for other students to hold a conversation with me.
- I am trying to teach myself, particularly, where to put commas, since different writers place the commas in different places. Reading the critics, about abbreviations, I will know not to use them, unless it is an integral part of the sentence, with parenthesis to define with the abbreviation means.
- You are welcome to critic / proofread any sentence of mine, I am trying to (Hard) to learn. Would like to write, for money! At least that give me a goal / motivation, to learn grammar and punctuation! If I do earn money, it will just be more motivation!
lol

Oh, goodness, Piper, that was not aimed at you! Or, indeed, any particular person. Please don't take it personally.

It's been a pet peeve of mine since MidnightCoder was in grade school. It was right about then that they discontinued teaching grammar and spelling.

I suggest you go to a good used book site like abebooks.com and find a good grammar textbook. Soemthing like this, perhaps:
http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/BookDet ... %26sts%3Dt
or this:
http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/BookDet ... %26sts%3Dt

Keep at it! You're doing fine. :)

Education and a love of books is helpful, but I think people are born with a certain aptitude (or lack thereof) for grammar, and also benefit by living in a home where proper usage is the norm.

My parents were from Denmark, so English was a second language for them, but they did fairly well. They would turn common phrases around, such as "back and forth" which they said as "forth and back", which actually makes more sense since you go forth before coming back. :lol:

Back