Mis-read Rabbittalk Abbreviations

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MaggieJ":2bdua81k said:
It's been a pet peeve of mine since MidnightCoder was in grade school. It was right about then that they discontinued teaching grammar and spelling.

Must be a Canadian thing, because my kids still get grammar and spelling lessons in school.

I had a good example at home and I agree it is very important, MSD. But even so, although I spoke fairly grammatically as a child, I didn't understand the principles of grammar until I reached grade six. Then our vice-principal took it upon himself to come around to all the senior classes and teach grammer, starting with a two word sentence and building it up with definite and indefinite articles, adjectives, adverbs, phrases and clauses. We hated this teacher at first. He would yell, pound on the cupboards and call us dunderheads. But before long it all began to make sense. (Thank you, Mr. Sinclair!)

OneAcre, it may have just been an Ontario thing... Education in Canada being a provincial matter. You know how fads come and go in education. :roll: But I don't think the kids here get formal grammar or spelling to this day. I must ask Iggysbabysitter. I'm glad to hear that grammar and spelling are still taught in some areas.

Oh, gee... I think I hijacked this thread. :oops:

Random Rabbit":2r6os55r said:
grumpy":2r6os55r said:
I'm still in a fog on some of these abbreviations....DD DW ?? Don't know what they mean.

grumpy

IIRC... ( there's another one....if i remember correctly) DD, DW, DH stands for Dear Daughter, Dear Wife, Dear Husband. That is, providing one is Happy with DD, DW, or DH.... If not...the D can be replaced with other words LOL>

It has taken me a while... but very slowly i'm figuring out some of the meanings.

------------------------------NO WONDER!!!!

I failed to comprehend!!! I've always been called an "A-H" around my beloved missus!!!! :bananadance:

grumpy.

OneAcreFarm":24sa1kr1 said:
MaggieJ":24sa1kr1 said:
It's been a pet peeve of mine since MidnightCoder was in grade school. It was right about then that they discontinued teaching grammar and spelling.

Must be a Canadian thing, because my kids still get grammar and spelling lessons in school.

We don't teach grammar here, and I haven't seen it taught in any of the Cleveland Public schools. We are so busy trying to teach Reading for the state test, who doesn't care if they can spell, there's creative spelling, and as long as it can be sounded out, the state will accept it. We cut out spelling some time ago. I have kids in the second grade reading at pre primer level, commas and periods take the back burner to phonics instruction.

skysthelimit":3bhmkkio said:
, there's creative spelling, and as long as it can be sounded out, the state will accept it.

We have that too, but only for K and 1st grade...after that, they are expected to spell correctly, not phonetically.

OneAcreFarm":2wemehgk said:
skysthelimit":2wemehgk said:
, there's creative spelling, and as long as it can be sounded out, the state will accept it.

after that, they are expected to spell correctly, not phonetically.

There are very few expectations here, and I am one to say, the system produces what it does because of that.

MaggieJ":1do65djh said:
grumpy":1do65djh said:
Being a writer, I have a strong aversion to the abbreviated spellings used by some of the younger folks of today.
I'm in complete agreement with you, Grumpy. Even more worrisome than the text abbreviations is the apparent inability of so many people to write a grammatically correct sentence. We were fortunate in having received formal instruction in grammar and spelling when we were in school. My understanding is that these things are no longer taught because they don't want to stifle the children's creativity. It didn't stifle mine or yours, did it?

Maggie: You are absolutely 100% correct. I was elected to the school board last year and already I've been at odds with the superintendent over the lack of grammar and spelling not being taught to our students. It has gotten "very-heated" in some of our executive sessions over this very problem.

He emphatically states that he believes the ability to spell is "A GIFT"

My standard reply is: "@!&*$%@#!! That's a cop-out and you know it!"

He doesn't quite have an adequate response to that phrase.

"Stifling their "creativity"? My Backside!!! That's the problem with our educational system is our laxity on students who "choose" not to do something because it is hard!!

HOLY SMOKES!!! Life---is hard. Get used to it!!

OOPS....got off on a rant/soap-box....sorry about that!! ONE MORE THING: (see below)

Try filling out an employment application with the spelling being used by today's students and see how close you can come to an interview. YOU WON'T EVEN GET A SNIFF OF ONE!!! Your application is summarily pitched into the trash can without a second thought from the employer.

grumpy

__________ Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:30 pm __________

Not wanting to add anymore fuel to the fire....but do we have a spell-check on this website? I use it all of the time by copy/paste to an empty word-perfect page. I'm real conscious about misspelled words any more.

L.O.L oneacrefarm......didn't mean to offend anyone.

grumpy":2y983igo said:
Not wanting to add anymore fuel to the fire....but do we have a spell-check on this website? I use it all of the time by copy/paste to an empty word-perfect page. I'm real conscious about misspelled words any more.

What browser do you use, Grumpy? I use Firefox and it gives me spell check on this site. It doesn't catch everything, of course, but it does save a lot of time when I have typos in my post or when using uncommon words.

grumpy":q5uypazh said:
do we have a spell-check on this website?

I use Firefox, and the spell check feature works for me. Good thing, too, because I am an abysmal typist.

grumpy":2x68x1o9 said:
Maggie: You are absolutely 100% correct. I was elected to the school board last year and already I've been at odds with the superintendent over the lack of grammar and spelling not being taught to our students. It has gotten "very-heated" in some of our executive sessions over this very problem.

He emphatically states that he believes the ability to spell is "A GIFT"

My standard reply is: "@!&*$%@#!! That's a cop-out and you know it!"

He doesn't quite have an adequate response to that phrase.

"Stifling their "creativity"? My Backside!!! That's the problem with our educational system is our laxity on students who "choose" not to do something because it is hard!!
Not being able to adequately express yourself, stifles creativity, a lot more. Grammar and Spelling should be mandatory!

MaggieJ":2manoism said:
grumpy":2manoism said:

What browser do you use, Grumpy? I use Firefox and it gives me spell check on this site. It doesn't catch everything, of course, but it does save a lot of time when I have typos in my post or when using uncommon words.

Now...Maggie..
I'm lucky enough to know my word perfect and one or two sites I visit. "Firefox"??? Clint Eastwood starred in that one, didn't he?

If I go "wandering-off" on some of the mysterious sites within my computer, something very-dire will surely happen to me. I'm bound to be eaten alive by gymbots, hoodats, or gigabits and never be seen nor heard from again.

grumpy.

grumpy":1chxju6j said:
L.O.L oneacrefarm......didn't mean to offend anyone.

Nah, no one was offended. :lol: We just have to enforce the rules... We have young eyes reading the forum at times...<br /><br />__________ Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:47 pm __________<br /><br />
grumpy":1chxju6j said:
I'm bound to be eaten alive by gymbots, hoodats, or gigabits and never be seen nor heard from again.
Hoodat won't bite, he is very nice! :lol:

Grumpy, Firefox is a browser, not a website; it's a way of accessing the Internet. Other popular ones are Internet Explorer, Opera, Chrome. I am a complete Techno-Peasant, so I really cannot explain it very well. MidnightCoder takes care of the technical stuff for me or I'd be lost.

When you turn on your computer and want to go to RabbitTalk, what is the name of the browser you click on to get to the Internet? (I'll bet it is Internet Explorer, which is not the best choice from what I hear.)

Geez........Maggie............I don't know!!

I'll have to ask maryann. But first, I've gotta go do chores. 500#'s of feed to unload and rabbits to feed. Already hayed this morning and filled the water barrels.

grumpy....be back later.

:yeahthat:

If it weren't for my kids, I'd still be using a typewriter and rotary phone.

When I read about a rabbit having three legs I always think AAAW the poor bunny. What happened to it?

Back