Holy Cows, Jill had 4 babies !!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MKirst":2i4gsk0m said:
Oh Dear Lord, I found them !!!

I made up my mind to take all the hay outta the entire hutch !! Nothing !! Then I rooted threw the hay piece by piece on the ground, because this hay has clumps sometimes and I picked up a packed clump of hay and it felt heavy !! I tore it open and OMG the two babies were snuggled in the center !!!

Geezuz my first baby rabbits and oh my nerves !!!

Thank you so much OneAcre for mentioning dug under the cage in the manure pile .. that made me think of those clumps of hay I just put on the ground !!!

I will NEVER put that much hay in a hutch again. I had it packed in there. Leaf on top of leaf.

All 4 babies are in the nest box now. Shewww Thank you OneAcre !!

:mbounce: Yay! So happy you found them! Glad I could be of assistance.... :)

What a relief! I am so glad you found them!

Once again, my Sistah OAF saves the day!!! :clap2: :bow:

Your poor shattered nerves, MKirst! But all's well that ends well. :)

So glad it wasn't rats. They can be a real problem. I once had three chicks carried away by rats before I figured out what was happening. They couldn't get through the wire of the broody pen, so they burrowed under the little house that enclosed the end and got them that way.

Wow, reading from beginning to end I was a bit heart sick for you. Not a good way to have your first litter. But now a happy ending :)

Every since the first doe flipped the nest box I bring them all in, until they are fully furred and able to see. Better for my nerves.

Thanks everyone for the replies.

All 4 bunnies look like they're doing good. Jill has pulled hair now and has it all over the place she put a little in with the bunnies but it seems she is lining everythingbut the bunnies for the most part. ;)

I brought Jill and the bunnies in the house. I went and bought a 3 tier indoor condo did some minor adjustments - so they are in the house in the living room. :x

Jill doesn't seem to like or is even willing to be litter trained - isn't doing very well so far with the litter box.

Anyhows, here are some today pictures of the 4 babies. How they look ?

IMG_20121005_131532-1.jpg

IMG_20121005_131551-1.jpg

Oh dear Lord I'm in crisis again over here !!

Jill's 4 babies are doing great - they are all black with fur already, making noises, healthy and popin' around.

Now out of the 3 pedigreed does I payed hundreds of dollars for - 2 never had babies and the black one came 10 days early with babies this morning. Everything looked ok this morning but when I went out to check on them before noon - they were all outta the nest box and cold as ice. All 5 of them.

They looked dead no movement, nothing.

Before I bought these 3 does I read a website about emergency care for newborn kits. Thank goodness I did read that because I had to use what I read this afternoon pronto.

I picked up the 5 babies and brought them in the house. Heated water in a pot and dipped them in holding their heads. My son helped me - I was in a panic.

I no sooner had them in the water 4 of them started a heartbeat, moving and breathing. The one I held in my hand till the water heated up and I could feel it's heartbeat start - but no movement till after I dipped it in the water. We got all five breathing and moving but the smallest struggled. After it was all said and done with the dippin' in heated water, heating a nest in a pot on the stove and drying them with the hair dryer all is ok - the smallest one just took the longest but finally felt warm and was mobile.

Now after all that - then I brought the mom in and put the babies with her and she started chewing at them and flinging them outta the next box. She killed the smallest one that took me forever to get a heartbeat !!!!

I don't trust her with them. Is it possible to give these babies to Jill ? Like switch nest boxes on her twice a day or something ? Because this black rabbit wants to kill them.

I had a doe like that, killed two before I just took the nest box away from her. She's the reason I started bringing in nest boxes to begin with. Try fostering, but even still, she may come around. My doe did, eventually nurse two days later and 7/9 survived.

Jill's 4 babies are doing really well.

The 4 from the Black Rabbit (Starlight) are doing OK so far. Mom still doesn't tend to them and they cannot keep their bodies warm. I dunno if that's because of what happened on day 1 or what .. but I must keep them warm by other means constantly. If I take them off the warmer they get cold quick. So I can't keep them in Jill's hutch or even with the mom in the house. Yet. Maybe this will change when they get fur ? I hope so.

I put their nest box in with her many times a day then walk away. I have the mom and her indoor cage on a video stream so I can rewind and see if she tends to them when I'm not in the room. She doesn't.

So this morning, like last night, I did the eye dropper feeding and cotton ball to the privates. I used the formula posted in the rabbit care section - but I added Colostrum and cut back about 1/2 the water in the recipe. I didn't give them much, they each got some in their bellies though.

After feeding their nest box went back on the warmer and they were sound asleep. They poop on their own I see and I got 3 of the 4 to pee with the cotton ball. I hope this works for them. Or at least till mom decides to get with the program. :(

I think they are so darling (all 8 of them) and I hope I can get these 4 to survive. Darn it.

Here are today pictures of Starlight's 4 kits. How do they look ?

IMG_20121008_112119-1.jpg

IMG_20121008_112052-1.jpg

I'll post Jill's babies in a few minutes, so you can see how they are coming along.

They look surprisingly good, actually. If they had fur in the nest, they would be able to stay warmer. You can pull some from the doe's sides and tummy, or use dryer lint, cotton batting, feathers, etc. You could also foster them with Jill's babies, but still take them out to nurse from their own mom. The other kits will keep them warm.

MamaSheepdog":308jpmfx said:
They look surprisingly good, actually. If they had fur in the nest, they would be able to stay warmer. You can pull some from the doe's sides and tummy, or use dryer lint, cotton batting, feathers, etc. You could also foster them with Jill's babies, but still take them out to nurse from their own mom. The other kits will keep them warm.
:yeahthat:

Here's a picture of Jill's 4. They are maniacs !! - I must cover the nest box when I move it in and out the house because they will pop right out !!!

IMG_20121008_123712-1.jpg
<br /><br />__________ Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:53 pm __________<br /><br />
MamaSheepdog":1sgy1hfg said:

I did put them in with Jill's babies and Jill's babies are terrors in the nest. The 4 maniacs just trampled them and I was afraid that would be the death of Starlight's 4. Jill's babies are a rough bunch. But, maybe that normal I dunno, never had babies before.

:yeahthat:

Their nails are so soft when they are little that they don't scratch one another's skin. The general consensus here is that it is the movement of the kits that stimulates their bowels, not the mother licking them as dogs and cats do, so the movement will be good for the new kits. The older ones will quickly settle down when they don't feel a large warm thing (your hand in this case!) over them- they think you are the doe, and are poppling around searching for teats. :)

Ok thanks.

I put Starlight's 4 in with the 4 maniacs and they are all in Jill's hutch now sleeping. It is rather cold outside, so I hope this works. I was just looking at Jill and she has some serious movements in her belly. Could she still have babies in there 4 days later ? Looks like babies kicking around anyhows.

Back