Help! GI Stasis!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pink

Reaction score
I am becoming seriously worried about Amorcito. While all the other rabbits raid the food bowls at breakfast and dinner, Amorcito simply looks at it, rolls over on his side and falls sleeps.

I've given him papaya, a drop of olive oil, given him a digestive massage, and even allowed him to run around the rabbit-proofed home for several hours to get some exercise. The first day I brought him in, after the massage, he was pooping all over the place. Yesterday, when I did the same, not a single poop in sight!

My very first pet rabbit, a handsome New Zealand English Spot mix, passed away at the age of 3 due to "the silent killer". Amorcito is such a sweet rabbit, I do not want to loose him nor any of my other rabbits! :cry:

Please help!

Oh, no. Wish I could help. Hang in there! With horses who are colicy I remove dry feeds and give warm mashes, don't know if this translates to rabbits but it may help.

I second the hay suggestion, Pink. When my rabbits were fed pellets only they all acted uninterested at feeding time. When I started feeding hay, they all started to mob the doors when they saw me coming. They get tons of exercise just waiting for their turn to be fed now- and with doors that swing in and up, it is quite a challenge for me to get everyone fed!

The ladies ate all of my dandelions! I'm worrisome about taking "wild" dandelions from the boulevard, because I've seen at least 5 dead pigeons and 4 dead squirrels on the ground in this year alone. I don't know what kind of poisons they're putting out there...

Does anyone know if aloe vera juice is safe for rabbits? I've got some "Lily of the Desert Aloe Vera Juice; A Dietary Supplement; Whole Leaf (filtered)". On the bottle it says "Helps support a healthy digestive system and helps restore and promote regularity."<br /><br />__________ Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:34 am __________<br /><br />I'm giving him Rolling Acres Rabbit Feed, which the breeder gave me. He's getting free-fed hay, too. I have tired giving him pears, bananas, cantaloupe, strawberries... But he is not interested in eating anything. I'll gladly force feed him if I had to, but his tummy looks a bit bloated and is making these strange noises when I massage him. I'm sure it's quite uncomfortable.

Pink":3ovy70wx said:
his tummy looks a bit bloated and is making these strange noises when I massage him.

I haven't had this problem, but a lot of people here use Gas-X. I prefer herbal remedies, so I bought an herbal product for colicky (sp?) infants that has ginger and fennel extracts just in case the rabbits ever need it.

I just read that aloe vera is toxic for rabbits.

I have fresh ginger. How do I give it to him?

I also have some "Benefibre" Can I put it in his water?

Before you feed ginger, let's find out if it is safe- it isn't on the safe plants for rabbits list... ah-ha! Here is a link to another list of safe plants for rabbits: http://familycow.proboards.com/index.cg ... read=31096

It says ginger increases fertility in bucks... amorous Amorcito on the way!

I would wait for MaggieJ's input before feeding it to him. But if safe, you could see if he will eat a slice of it, and if not make a decoction out of it- here is a how-to link: http://www.herbal-howto-guide.com/decoction.html

Ginger is known for its properties as a digestive aid. I remember that someone fed ginger to his rabbits, so I would think in reasonable quantities it must be safe.

If he will eat it, just give him a slice. If not, you could take slices of the root and pour boiling water over it to make an infusion. Let it cool to lukewarm. That should extract enough of the active ingredient. The advantage of an infusion is that you can syringe it into him.

Re: the dandelions. Can you beg, borrow or steal some from a neighbour?

Maggie, infusions are made with the soft parts of plants- flowers, leaves, etc. Decoctions are made from the hard parts- root, bark, seeds... you finely chop the herb add it to the water, and bring it to a boil- cover and reduce to simmer for about 40 minutes. Glass pots are best, but porcelain lined metal works too.

I suppose if the ginger were ground up in a blender first to make a paste the infusion method might work... :?

He was interested in the smell of the ginger, but wasn't too thrilled about the taste.

I'm leaving to go for a walk with the dogs and see if I can find any dandelions. So, all I have to do is soak them in water and serve?

Yep, that's it. Just wet them under the tap and give them to him. The extra moisture is beneficial.

I've infused ginger root lots of times, MSD. I'm rather fond of ginger tea in winter. As long as it is fresh root and you slice it fairly thin, it works just fine. If it is dried, then I agree a decoction would be necessary.

And what if I bring one oof the girls inside to run around with him? It'll work him up an appetite, and he'll get the necessary exercise.

MaggieJ":xehppvkg said:
I've infused ginger root lots of times, MSD. I'm rather fond of ginger tea in winter. As long as it is fresh root and you slice it fairly thin, it works just fine. If it is dried, then I agree a decoction would be necessary.

Ah- good to know. Fresh vs. dried would certainly make a big difference.

What kind of infectious illnesses cause those symptoms?

He's been molting like crazy, so I thought perhaps he got a hairball... or the stress from the 7 HR drive.

If it is a hairball pineapple will help. If he wont eat it, syringe some juice into his mouth.

Latest posts

Back