Dumor Wire Cages

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rockyhillrabbits

Reaction score
When we got our rabbits last weekend we were scrambling to get cages. I'm unable to lift anything, bend, etc for another few weeks and we didn't have the money to buy lumber and build hutches like we normally would have. TSC had Dumor wire cages so we ended up getting 2 24x24 for the bucks and 2 30x36 for the does. They are surprisingly well built but we did add j clips to reinforce them since our only option was to hang them in the barn. Before babies come we will have to add wire to the bottom edges because the wire is too big. I like the door latch and door size. Nothing irritates me more than getting a rabbit out through a tiny door.
Has anyone else used these and how long do they hold up? Before we get Flemish or Giant Chins we will build large hutches but if the Dumor cages will last we might get some more because I have a whole barn wall where I could hang them and they will be fine for the Rex, weaned babies, etc.

When we got our rabbits last weekend we were scrambling to get cages. I'm unable to lift anything, bend, etc for another few weeks and we didn't have the money to buy lumber and build hutches like we normally would have. TSC had Dumor wire cages so we ended up getting 2 24x24 for the bucks and 2 30x36 for the does. They are surprisingly well built but we did add j clips to reinforce them since our only option was to hang them in the barn. Before babies come we will have to add wire to the bottom edges because the wire is too big. I like the door latch and door size. Nothing irritates me more than getting a rabbit out through a tiny door.
Has anyone else used these and how long do they hold up? Before we get Flemish or Giant Chins we will build large hutches but if the Dumor cages will last we might get some more because I have a whole barn wall where I could hang them and they will be fine for the Rex, weaned babies, etc.

Hello. I am not an extremely experienced rabbitologist (lol) but I have several of the Dumor cages myself and like them. Saying that...I have seen lots of negative videos on YouTube about them. After much debate I will be building my own cages using stainless steel hardware cloth. But I still will keep the Dumor cages as backups. Check out the videos on YouTube about Dumor cages and they are pretty good about showing their faults.

Hello. I too thought about the dumor cages starting out. But I opted to buy wire and build mine. The dumor cages looked good but research found that they aren’t sturdy without a bunch of j-clips and they rust out pretty quick outside. My custom cages didn’t turn out great either but got the job done and are still holding up. Now I have bass equipment cages and love them. I wish I had just spent the money (which is almost the same price of dumor) on the bass equipment cages in the beginning. It would have saved me a whole lot of time and energy and most of all money. Also I used hardware cloth as cage bottoms of the custom cages which was a big no no. The bottoms sagged way too much. Was even making It hard for my silver fox bucks to mount the does.
Bass equipment cages come disassembled so you have to assemble the cages yourself but they provide you with plenty of j clips. Only down fall is they take a while to ship your order. 10-15 days but was well worth the wait for me. There are other companies also worth checking out also. My opinion I think it would be best to spend the extra few dollars on better cages.

What the Dumor cages have done for me is to allow me to get them along and along. No, they are not going to last forever but mine are under shelter so doing well 14 months in. I add a new latch ($1) and a few hog rings. Hog rings are easier for this because they are larger (I use half inch) and stronger. The hardest thing is adding a couple inches of 1x1 wire (or such) to the gaps at the bottom on two sides for kindling cages.

I am using the Dumor, 7 of them, 30x36 in size. You DEFINITELY must reinforce the cage with your own j-clips. Once done, the,y are great cages. Without the j-clip reinforcement, i don’t think they are adequate for any animal’s safety if the cages are to be used outdoors. All of my cages are outside under a roof and hung. My preference is to use cages with sturdier 14 gauge wire floors, but with all of the costs associated with starting my rabbitry, this is the route I have chosen until such a time as I can afford a more expensive cage. As for floors sagging in the Dumor cages, I can’t say I am seeing it to a problematic degree, but I do see the flexing of the floors. As others have noted, you do need to baby safe them up to 4 inches from the bottom if does are going to be kindling in them.

I bought dumor cages a few years ago that I've started replacing floors. They were rather flimsy. Doors would push open at the bottom so that baby rabbits could fall out. I'm impressed with the new ones that are made with heavier gauge wire with better finishing. Door latches are much more secure. Also couldn't build one for the cost of these. Good purchase.

I actually have 1 dumor cage that I found at my uncles barn and he had no idea where it came from but he said I could have it lol. I’ve had it since about last summer and it’s honestly better quality than my homemade cages that are just falling apart (but they are like 6+ years old lol) I have the 24x24 that I keep a buck in but I feel like it’s a bit small so when I can afford it I want to upgrade his cage. Also my cages are hanging and there will eventually be a colony of does under them when I can afford that too. 57BF8E21-84A8-4FED-856C-9277D991E5DB.jpeg
and here’s the cage. God bless!

Only down fall is the 24x24 for some breeds won't be nearly big enough. I have californians and my does can barely play in them.. they serve their purpose, but I like our 36's better. Also, if they're exposed at all to liquids they will rust. Just an fyi

I actually have 1 dumor cage that I found at my uncles barn and he had no idea where it came from but he said I could have it lol. I’ve had it since about last summer and it’s honestly better quality than my homemade cages that are just falling apart (but they are like 6+ years old lol) I have the 24x24 that I keep a buck in but I feel like it’s a bit small so when I can afford it I want to upgrade his cage. Also my cages are hanging and there will eventually be a colony of does under them when I can afford that too. View attachment 29616
and here’s the cage. God bless!
Good nesting box idea..

I am using the Dumor, 7 of them, 30x36 in size. You DEFINITELY must reinforce the cage with your own j-clips. Once done, the,y are great cages. Without the j-clip reinforcement, i don’t think they are adequate for any animal’s safety if the cages are to be used outdoors. All of my cages are outside under a roof and hung. My preference is to use cages with sturdier 14 gauge wire floors, but with all of the costs associated with starting my rabbitry, this is the route I have chosen until such a time as I can afford a more expensive cage. As for floors sagging in the Dumor cages, I can’t say I am seeing it to a problematic degree, but I do see the flexing of the floors. As others have noted, you do need to baby safe them up to 4 inches from the bottom if does are going to be kindling in them.
We didn't add j clips to ours we have 2 of them side by side and we have them tarped down on top and zip tied, but I like being able to flip down the front so easily to clean etc..

I have the dumor 24x24 cage for my lion head. My daughter has the bigger size for her dwarfs, and Rex. They didn't have the bigger size when I got it. I would definitely go bigger. I do like the structure of cage.

All of our cages are inside a barn, so no worry about them getting wet and rusting. The 24x24 are the cages for Rex bucks, maybe a couple grow-outs. The Flemish will be in hutches and everything else will be in 34 or 36" cages. So far my only issue is the 34" ones my does and babies are in is almost too deep for my short arms lol. I have to stick my head and shoulder in the cage just to reach the rabbit when it's in the back corner. Other than that, they have held up well. They are very sturdy. I may think of a different way to hang them on the long wall when we expand.
I still prefer hutches because I like a really big door but these are cleaner, more space-efficient, etc.

Oh yes me too, but one good thing is the way they come apart on the front you could flip the front down.. I dern near have to crawl in hell I might as well bed down with them too I get in so far. I have one cage someone gave me and the door on it is kinda odd it pushes into the cahe and flips upward. Biggest pain in me arse if u know what I mean. I'm going to redo the door asap before I just trash the whole dern thing. We have another that'll be a good grow out I think it's a 1.5x 3 ish and it's door is jacked up also..better fix it now I have a litter of 7 I hope survive considering my other mother killed 4/5 and ate half of the 5th..those were born 5/5 they all looked so healthy to me..

Back