Catching Rabbit Poop

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rabbits by Accident

Reaction score
Hi!

Long ago when I had rabbits before, I had one hutch with four sections. I put a piece of thin sheet metal hung under the hutch so that all the poop and pee ran down into a 5 gallon bucket at the end of the hutch.

I have seen where people are selling rabbit poop. If you do as I used to do the poop is not sellable because it's smashed up with pee. So does anyone have a method by which they collect the rabbit berries?

I was thinking if I put a smaller mesh hardware cloth underneath that the poop would roll down and the pee would go straight through.

Any ideas? I looked through the threads if anyone had discussed this before but I didn't see it if there's another discussion just post the link and I'll go over there.

Thanks,

Liz

yeah, I think the mesh is a great plan. I think you might consider doing a solid piece under the cage and a second mesh "berry diverter" that would shunt the berries into thieir own collection bucket? that way if it clogged up, it would be easier to clean and access?

Why do you consider the poop unsellable if mixed with pee? One of the first videos I watched on this journey was from Africa where they were collecting the pee to sell for fertilizer. I collect mine altogether - poop, pee, hay waste - and I put it in my chicken pen. The chickens eat what they want (stray feed pellets and some of the other pellets as well) and they scratch it down into a very nice texture while adding some chicken manure of their own. I have put it straight into my garden. Anyhow, just wondering.

Why do you consider the poop unsellable if mixed with pee? One of the first videos I watched on this journey was from Africa where they were collecting the pee to sell for fertilizer. I collect mine altogether - poop, pee, hay waste - and I put it in my chicken pen. The chickens eat what they want (stray feed pellets and some of the other pellets as well) and they scratch it down into a very nice texture while adding some chicken manure of their own. I have put it straight into my garden. Anyhow, just wondering.
I don't know everyone's reason, but wet urine covered manure is very smelly, and I live in town. I have no problem using it on my own garden, but I can see it would be less easy to acumulate and store, and by extension, sell.

Since I never even actually thought of selling rabbit poop until I ran across it on Etsy, I have no idea what people are willing to buy. However, the bags of poop on Etsy were very clean looking so I assume they did not have pee in them LOL

Liz

You may be right, Liz. I had planned to sell poop but because we also decided to expand our plant growing, so far I have been using all of mine. I would have to do something different to keep the hay out of mine. But the urine definitely won't hurt the poop being used for fertilizer. If you are going to sell locally, you might want to find out what those people expect.

Etsy lol - how much were they selling it for?

You may be right, Liz. I had planned to sell poop but because we also decided to expand our plant growing, so far I have been using all of mine. I would have to do something different to keep the hay out of mine. But the urine definitely won't hurt the poop being used for fertilizer. If you are going to sell locally, you might want to find out what those people expect.

Etsy lol - how much were they selling it for?
Screenshot_20211028-135633.png

In fancy bags, even! Lol

https://www.etsy.com/market/rabbit_poop
Liz

I think folks will put it through a 1/4"screen n shake it to catch the poo. I also feel that the hay is a good thing as it absorbs the pee.

Please note: KellyBee would like to inform readers that she no longer advocates this system. Please see her update on page three of this thread.
https://rabbittalk.com/threads/catching-rabbit-poop.34309/post-343875

My set up, but it's not perfect. First photo right after fresh weekly cleaning.

20211105_135112.jpg
Next photo shows poo sitting on wire mesh after rolling down the corrugated plastic. Urine goes through the mesh into the gutter then into a bucket. 20211018_082652.jpg

Next photo shows what I use to pull down waste that doesn't roll down itself. 20211018_082639.jpg

Attachments

• 20211003_081541.jpg
    20211003_081541.jpg
    142.1 KB · Views: 9
Last edited by a moderator:
My set up, but it's not perfect. First photo right after fresh weekly cleaning.
WOW! What a great setup. What is the plastic? I made a 'rabbit box' for each pen, and they are just about housebroken which makes it easier to clean LOL However, I like your idea, I'll have to scavenge around.

Thank you so much for taking the time to post your marvelous idea!

Liz

I don't do face crook either.

@KelleyBee , that is a terrific arrangement. I simply use inclined 1/4" mesh under the hutch. Urine goes directly through and the berries roll into a bucket. I admire the elegance of your system though.

I don't know if this is what you had in mind, @Rabbits by Accident , but this works for me. Since hindgut manure is "cold", ie not full of ammonia or ammonia producing bacteria, it can be used as direct fertilizer. Urine, when exits the body is sterile. It does have uric acid. Urine, quickly begins to ferment and produce ammonia. For that reason it is good to separate them.

@HTAcres has success because the ammonia gets washed out in the chicken yard. Because of the ammonia content in chicken excrement (as it ferments) it is considered "hot" and not usable as a direct amendment. When I kept chickens we dug the yard out and used it directly, but the manure from the coop got composted first.

Ruminant manure is generally composted first since it too will ferment. But that actually depends on the time of year it is applied. "Green" cow manure, even though it is "hot" can be added to garden soil in the autumn and left to fallow over winter .

One should always compost pig manure to kill microbes.

Only farmer can talk shait and no one bats an eye.

IMG_20210710_191721.jpg

Last edited:
Back