200 Rabbits Seized

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SatinsRule":yhdn716c said:
And the way many of the laws are being written, animal control can seize and destroy your animals without your having ever appeared in court.

Think about that for a minute. You're raising good rabbits with solid bloodlines, then get a sudden knock on the door, they seize and kill your rabbits, only to appear in court and the DA's office drop the charges for lack of efficient evidence or some technicality. What's wrong with that picture?

If this were me, A mature buck sells for $40, a doe for $50. Assuming they were my standard 60/40 mix, a litter of 10 could have sold for $440. If they put down say, HALF of the rabbits they confiscated(100), I'm now out $4400 as a very minimum.

Now, more realistically, take the average to 11 per litter, and they put down all of them. Now were talking about somebody that just stole $9600 of private property on bad information, plus lost wages from going to court or the sheriffs dept. and any attorney fees, Its well over $10000.
NOW me and the county sheriff are gonna have a fight. Around here, $2000 is the different between petty larceny and grand theft.

SatinsRule":1n5m7hew said:
Now, more realistically, take the average to 11 per litter, and they put down all of them. Now were talking about somebody that just stole $9600 of private property on bad information, plus lost wages from going to court or the sheriffs dept. and any attorney fees, Its well over $10000.
NOW me and the county sheriff are gonna have a fight. Around here, $2000 is the different between petty larceny and grand theft.

that is an excellent point I hadn't even thought about! but I wonder if she forfeited her ability to claim lost income if she signed over her "property" to the animal rescue. I hope she has a good lawyer.

I believe she was told she could sign the rabbits over to the shelter, or put up $30,000 ($5 day x 200 rabbits x 30 days) to pay for their care while waiting for the court hearing. I based this on this statute:

§ 18-9-202.5. Financial bonding requirements for costs of holding impounded animals

(1)(a) The owner or custodian of an animal that has been impounded by an impound agency because of alleged neglect or abuse, or because of investigation of charges of cruelty to animals pursuant to section 18-9-202; animal fighting pursuant to section 18-9-204; mistreatment, neglect, or abandonment under article 42 of title 35, C.R.S.; or unlawful ownership of a dangerous dog as described in section 18-9-204.5, may prevent disposition of the animal by an impound agency by posting a bond with the court in an amount sufficient to provide for the animal's care and provision at the impound agency for at least thirty days, including the day on which the animal was taken into custody. The owner or custodian of any impounded animal may request a hearing in a court of competent jurisdiction within ten days after impoundment to determine whether the costs associated with the bond are fair and reasonable for the care of and provision for the impounded animal. Such bond shall be filed with the court within ten days after the animal is impounded. At the end of the time for which expenses are covered by the bond, if the owner or custodian desires to prevent disposition of the animal, the owner or custodian shall post a new bond with the court within ten days after the prior bond's expiration. However, if, in the opinion of a licensed veterinarian, the animal is experiencing extreme pain or suffering or is severely injured past recovery, severely disabled past recovery, or severely diseased past recovery, the animal may be euthanized without a court order. At the end of the time for which expenses are covered by the bond, the impound agency may determine disposition of the animal unless there is a court order prohibiting such disposition. The owner or custodian shall be liable for the cost of the care of, provision for, or disposal of the animal.

http://www.animallaw.info/statutes/stuscost18_9_201.htm

But I have not kept up with this case on other boards, so maybe someone else can verify. It looks like the impounding probably costs more than the fine in court would if she were found guilty.

I talked to a friend of mine who lives in the area--less than a mile away, in fact--She indicated to me, that the HRS, PETA and other activists are hot and heavy in the area. Now, this friend is called in as an expert witness on a lot of dog related cases. She hunts, has raised rabbits, mice, dogs, poultry, etc..It seems, in that area, someone will shut off automatic watering systems, then not allow it tobe turned back on-- where dog kennels are concerned- the owner is not permitted to care for the animals while they are on the premises for a couple days, then people go in and film, empty food and water containers, uncleaned runs, etc-- The economy in the area is very bad off-- my friends neighborhood is 75% empty houses!! She actually heard of this 'case' before it hit the news-- and knew what was going to happen to the owner.. I hope that perhaps she gets called as an expert witness in the case-- for the defendant, if it goes that far!!!

oh, she doesn't think very good thoughts about the sheriff dept, and is wondering how many rabbits died during the 'rescue'

MaggieJ":2oxc5e02 said:
Terry, is your friend knew what was going to happen, why on earth didn't she warn the owner of the rabbits? :stars:

She just heard a 'rabbit breeder' was going to be hit...She does not know the person herself-- but is aware of the diversity of small agricultural operations in the area-- She told me-- something interesting, that was not in the article-- some rabbits were loose in the barn-- now, the people involved in this disaster, didn't like the rabbits in cages, OR loose on the floor of the barn-- Now, how many of us have not had a rabbit or two get loose and run about for a few days before getting caught? If feed is measured out per rabbit, why should there be feed in the dishes? after all, unless there is a need for free feeding, do breeders and exhibitors want the animals to get fat? If it is hot, and the rabbits are lazing about-- why feed food to have them f=refuse it, and then get contaminated by whatever insects may be about?
My friend is well known in the court system as an animal expert, and within the county for disability advocacy--She was actually helping me determine a physical therapy plan for Connor last night-- and we talk about everything!!! Anyway, not one person involved in that fiasco has any familiarity with agricultural practices. Somebody put a kid with a goldfish in charge of the whale research boat,,,,

yup and this is the scary part
"No matter how clean your kennel, if they want to find a violation ... they will."

Good information, Hoodat. I need to make some changes. Definitely need to get the rabbits into a building or something out of plain sight.

Had a former tenant of our house come by for a friendly hello this morning. Turns out she was tickled pink to see we had rabbits and chickens and had formerly kept goats (briefly!) but boy, I was rattled to see a stranger in the yard and am still pretty shaken. Hate feeling like I can't trust people, but I am living outside the law with far more rabbits than I am technically allowed here, so I guess it goes with the territory.

The more I think about this one (and I try DESPARATELY not to do so), there is just something which stinks about this whole thing.

Maybe it's just my being used to hearing the idiotic things the animal rights whackos in this country will do to promote their radical agendas. It's just not unlike them to lie thru their teeth, and if they think the ends justifies the means, they'll shamelessly do so.

It's also not at all surprising to see the media minions take off and run with this one like a catfish with a mouth full of blood bait.

SatinsRule":34yxh7xn said:
The more I think about this one (and I try DESPARATELY not to do so), there is just something which stinks about this whole thing.

... It's just not unlike them to lie thru their teeth, and if they think the ends justifies the means, they'll shamelessly do so.

The really sad thing is this-- these people HARM the animals they claim they are protecting-- how many of those rabbits will die in their spay/neuter surgeries? How many are now actually sitting in feces/urine because the cages are not proper? The AR people need to take a long walk off a short pier...

Bout the 3rd time (in the 90's) some PETA whack got caught trying to drop poison in Shamu's (actually any whale) tank, I lost all respect, I want the no fur protects, I'd take the 'modesty' garb right off them, sorry, but, I don't like extremist, but then that must make me extreme...

Several years ago, before I even thought about rabbits, I saw a billboard sign in Chattanooga TN that had a picture of a dog with a fish hook through its cheek. The sign said, "If you would not do this to a dog, why would you do it to a fish?" --People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals

That told me all I ever needed to know about PETA...

The REAL sad thing is these are RARE fibre rabbits, German Giants etc. which have a very small genetic base... ya just go ahead and neuter them..now see what happens to these ancient breeds :( These morons actually think its bad or hard on them to have a litter?? I'm doing more damage to myself ramming my head against a brick wall...

It's all a sham
my favorite is the new HSUS comercial
'these images may disturb you, give us money so they will go away'
actually it was to "prevent" animal cruelty...
yet where are these whackos when some kid breaks into a stable, and maims and kills sheep, rabbits goats and 3 quarter horses, 1 a foal.
Oh, wait, if they hadn't be domesticated, the wouldn't be there.

I'm for ethical slaughter, since eating animals is cruel, I'm for eating animal rights activist.
PETA, People eating tasty ACTIVIST

Folks, an update on the Save 6 Bells on facebook indicates AC came back out, and confiscated the chickens, as well!!!one, An 8 year old rooster, missing two toenails-- umm, see a problem here?

Back