Anyone's litters picture thread!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Zass, are they Velveteen Lops? or... uhhhh.... can't remember what else you said you raise lol

too bad they're not Mini Rex's. When I was just starting to get all of my rabbits, I was going to get a broken black kit, but the breeder didn't get back to me after a while so I just gave up and found other rabbits. I was sad though because I REALLY wanted a broken black because they are so cute :) if i get a Broken Black or Broken Black Otter Show Quality kit from the next litter I'll keep it. I probly wont get one from fat girl because I've had 3 litters with her and theyve all been solid white or otter. I'll probly get some from sweet heart though because she's broken.

Just out of curiosity (you're good with genetics), is the broken gene recessive, so the reason I'm not getting broken with fat girl is because both parents are solids (even though they have broken in their pedigrees)?

Bandits Bunny Farm":1sfms0fd said:
Zass, are they Velveteen Lops? or... uhhhh.... can't remember what else you said you raise lol

They are mixed breeds, raised for meat. They are out of my velveteen buck. I was test breeding him for colors, since he's a rew.

Just out of curiosity (you're good with genetics), is the broken gene recessive, so the reason I'm not getting broken with fat girl is because both parents are solids (even though they have broken in their pedigrees)?

Broken isn't recessive. It takes only one copy of broken gene to show up on a coat. If your doe is solid colored, it means she doesn't carry it, and you will have to breed her to a broken buck to get broken kits.

Bandits Bunny Farm":22ssxhtd said:
what do you mean,
it means she doesn't carry it.
?

She HAS brokens in her lines???

Yeah. Since broken isn't a recessive gene, a visual broken only has one copy of the gene. That means that there is only a 50% chance that a broken rabbit will pass it to their offspring. A broken bred to a solid will produce about 50% brokens and 50% solids. Even two brokens bred together have a chance to produce solids that do not have the broken gene.

The solids out of a broken will not carry a hidden broken gene, they simply didn't inherit it. Rew is an exception because you won't be able to see it even if they have it. Rew doesn't count as a "solid color."

As an example, rew buck obviously carries a copy of the broken gene, I just couldn't see it because the rew hides everything.

Homer":22bpg9dn said:
I could make some new user accounts if you want and try and get you back on your game. :twisted:

Ah, I see how you are... not brave enough to risk getting banned yourself, so you need aliases, eh?

Homer":22bpg9dn said:
And poor Mystang, I think Miss M's chair may have finally gotten the best of him. That last whipping was pretty harsh.

Poor Mystang? Pshaw!!! Miss M couldn't lift her arms for a week! How about a little sympathy and appreciation for all of her hard work? :angry:

Bandits Bunny Farm":22bpg9dn said:
I think he faced the :portapotty: once or twice, if I remember correctly :sick:

Right you are! Maybe that is what has caused his sudden spate of good behavior? :?
SA Farm":22bpg9dn said:
This one was a mix and was almost 3 weeks old here - any ideas on his colour?

No idea on color, but it sure is beautiful! :p

cowgirl9768":22bpg9dn said:
buck or doe?

Kit #1 looks like a doe (third pic was the only one clear enough to really see) and kit #2 looks like a buck.

Zass":22bpg9dn said:
As I suspected, my kits look a lot more blue at a couple days old:

Hmm... I don't know. My blue kits are a lot darker than that. I think maybe lilac after all.

Zass":22bpg9dn said:
They are mixed breeds, raised for meat. They are out of my velveteen buck.

They have velveteen ears. :D
Bandits Bunny Farm":22bpg9dn said:
what do you mean,

it means she doesn't carry it.

?

She HAS brokens in her lines???

If they carry the gene, you will always see it. In other words, broken can't "hide". Your solid colored rabbits each received one copy for a solid color from each parent. If they had gotten a broken gene from either they would show it by having a broken coat.

They can't pass on a gene that they don't have themselves, so you need to breed to a broken in order to get any broken kits.

MamaSheepdog":32bx9ey6 said:
Zass":32bx9ey6 said:
As I suspected, my kits look a lot more blue at a couple days old:

Hmm... I don't know. My blue kits are a lot darker than that. I think maybe lilac after all.

That would be wonderful if they were lilac. :love: I think everyone on here knows I have a comorbid case of Lapine Pigmentation Productionitis.
(I'll need to see one kit of every color in my nest boxes before I'm cured of this)

There's a good chance that at least one of those questionable torts my doe produced was a chocolate tort. Man I'd LOVE to see some chocolate and broken chocolate velveteens.
But...I still think it might be the lighting in the photos making their color look softer.

I guess I'll know for sure in a couple days.

Zass":32bx9ey6 said:
They are mixed breeds, raised for meat. They are out of my velveteen buck.

MamaSheepdog":32bx9ey6 said:
They have velveteen ears. :D

Oh no! I hope they don't grow out too adorable!

MamaSheepdog":6typauaw said:
Homer":6typauaw said:
And poor Mystang, I think Miss M's chair may have finally gotten the best of him. That last whipping was pretty harsh.

Poor Mystang? Pshaw!!! Miss M couldn't lift her arms for a week! How about a little sympathy and appreciation for all of her hard work? :angry:
Thank you, MSD, it's good to know somebody appreciates what I do around here!

As you can see, I have finally managed to recover... just in time, too... post240635.html#p240635

I still think they are blue. But everyone's made me second guess myself! :lol: I've raised lots of blue and lilac kits and can usually tell them apart with ease.

For example, from a previous litter:
GEDC8472.JPG

Two blues and a lilac, right?

YEP! They grew into their colors nicely :D

Attachments

• GEDC8677.JPG
    GEDC8677.JPG
    273.7 KB · Views: 2,670
I was going to post pictures of my broken blue otter kit when he was a baby but I don't have any good ones lol. maybe I'll get a couple of solid blue or blue otters in Sweet Heart's litter

poppet's litter is changing.. seems daily to me... check them out.

I suspect it goes.. sable, sable, sable, chinchilla or light chestnut, a sable chin, sable chin.

What do you all think?

Bandits Bunny Farm":12eqk8eh said:
ladysown":12eqk8eh said:
What do you all think?

I think they are super adorable :)

:yeahthat:
OH, I hope you could post them again when they are a bit older too, they are SO Lovely!

I wanted to do another before-and-after, this time on my silvered lilac gold tipped steel mutt doeling, since...well, how often do we see one of those? :p ( Genotype A_ bb C_ dd Es E Sisi , correct me if I'm wrong on anything)

image.php

The names simply Feather, and she's sitting at a very comfortable 7 lbs at 13 1/2 weeks old. Her father was my 9 lbs at 5 1/2 months old SF buck. I don't really expect to see growth like that from a mutt with a medium breed in her background, but I'd be REALLY happy if she topped out at 8 or 8.5 by that age.
The silvering is about the level of a very light SF right now. It will probably come in more heavily as she ages...or not.
Either way works for me. I wasn't successful getting it to show up well on camera this time though.

GEDC9606.JPG
GEDC9598.JPG
GEDC9609.JPG

Well thats it.. i simply must get a doe or i will surely burst! D:

Zass that is a super crazy awesome color!!! What will ya breed her to? What colors do ya think to get? Sounds like a good line to me with those weights.

ohiogoatgirl":3rgkt92a said:
Well thats it.. i simply must get a doe or i will surely burst! D:

Zass that is a super crazy awesome color!!! What will ya breed her to? What colors do ya think to get? Sounds like a good line to me with those weights.

Thanks! :D The weights are good with that line...sometimes. I have not gotten it to be consistent yet, and unfortunately, all the purebred SF does were neurotic. I've crossed them with some medium sized mutts with GREAT personalities and mothering skills to try and get the best of both worlds. I'm not looking for 10+ lb rabbits though, I'd rather they max at 9.

Hmm. I have an opal buck out of a lilac colored mix breed doe. Basically, the same lines. (2nd cousin, I think) I'll cross them together for blue, lilac, opal, lynx, blue steel, lilac steel...and maybe rew. The plan is to select for foxier coats while cementing the traits I like.

Next summer, I hope to be able to provide pairs that will make nice backyard meat-pets and throw a good color range...if you're ever in the area... :cool:

I got an interesting litter. lilac ermine doe x silver marten buck. I didn't think the buck was carrying any recessives but I can't explain this rainbow litter.

They should all be chd chd. There's 2 with no color, one with very light color, and what looks like a blue and a black chinchilla or a silver marten and blue silver marten. :-? I can't wait for them to grow fur.

Latest posts

Back