Would a silkie guinea pig make a good meat pig?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There's a chance of that! ha. I'll admit I was already reading about breeding guinea pigs too but my husband ignored an email I sent him on that subject. I always know what it means when he does not reply. lol.

I raised them in a walk in pen for almost a year and just took out spare boars for dinner. Rabbit pellets and all the veg/weeds I had time to harvest for them.

The vit c thing I waffled on but finally just went with lots of greenery and crossed my fingers that there would be enough of it in their green stuff. Seemed to work alright, I did have issues in the herd but they were genetic rather than diet related. I wont buy from a snake food breeder again, not much care was taken to get defects out of the herd.

The g-pigs did start slowly but by gum, when they get going its like a fur avalanche. :x

Cant wait to get this move behind us, build the raised beds and try running them between to keep the grass mowed, I LOVE free meat! :p

With very little practice they are super easy (and FAST) to process and have a fantastic sweet pork flavor.

It is illegal- ILLEGAL!!!- to eat Guinea pigs or other "pet animals" in California, up to and including pot belly pigs. Unbelievable!

So, today a fellow bunny breeder and guinea pig breeder came up here so we could dispatch her culls.

Purely for educational purposes *cough!* of course, *cough!*, we butchered them out and scalded them to remove the fur. I now have six carcasses resting in the fridge awaiting further experimentation in say, two to three days. :twisted:

I must say- cavies have some pretty bizarre structures in them. :shock: I had no clue what I was seeing down in the reproductive area. And their gall bladders are enormous and filled with yellow fluid.

And... drumroll, please... I kept a large sow in an unshowable color, and my friend is going to pick out a boar for me as well. :D <br /><br /> __________ Tue May 26, 2015 7:12 pm __________ <br /><br /> Oh! Forgot to mention that a long haired pig will be easier to dehair than a short haired one. ;)

I had two long hairs (Peruvians) and they suck for a meat breeding project. go with any short hair guinea pigs you can get and keep the biggest sows and only the biggest boar or two. after a few years I imagine it will start pickin up a good bit. I have put all my GP herd project on hold until I have a real setup in place and only THEN will I buy some again to try with. I have some contacts for true peru meat line cuy (koo-eee like the sound they make) but its friggin expensive because there is only a handful of people who have gone through the lengthy strenuous process of importing. so if you want to buy from em ya have to wait a couple years after they actually import some for them to build up their own herd to a good level that they will sell any. plus even then you will be paying a whole darn heck of a lot plus shipping. so until I have a good system in place that's all on hold for me.

here is a thread I was doing on another forum (sorry!) about my misadventures.
http://www.permies.com/t/19371/rabbits/ ... at-journal

Latest posts

Back