What's on the bottom of your colonies?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GBov

Reaction score
I am going to look at some roofing metal tomorrow and if its in good nick it will be both the roof and the walls of five, five ft by ten ft, colony pens.

We are on pure sand here in Central Florida so I was just going to lay fence wire down for the bottoms so they cant dig out. The urine should just flow down and away and the droppings will hopefully either draw in worms to compost the potty corner or I will shovel it up once a week and put DE down to keep maggots out of that corner.

And that got me wondering, what do you all cover, or not cover, your colony bottoms with?

Wire rusted out within a year and we replaced it with plywood for now which seems to last more like 2-3 years even with damp ground under it and it's cheap. I've heard some people have used more durable metals like chainlink but hardware cloth, chicken wire, etc.. with small openings and especially galvanized before welding will just rust right through.

I'll be following this post, as I am wondering the same thing as GBov. Thank you, Akane, for mentioning plywood! Seems like a no brainer now. :)

The local Habitat Restore were giving out free doors, I got 8 of them burried them 6 inches. so far it is working great.

I don't have a colony, but I recall someone mentioned using the heavy rubber stall mats used for horses. They are waterproof, and as long as they are flat with no lifted edges, the rabbits didn't chew on them. Linoleum flooring might work.

The wire should only rust out in the potty corner,shouldnt it? That will be the only wet spot in the pen.

Well, we will HOPE its the only wet spot! That is the main reason to build a large shelter, to get all my rabbits out of the rain. Right now each cage has a different cover, some working better than others.

Just the moisture pulled from the ground of a dirt or sand floor is enough to rust thinner metal. Mine was on compacted aglime in a building. Didn't even make a year.

akane":20ftw5rq said:
Just the moisture pulled from the ground of a dirt or sand floor is enough to rust thinner metal. Mine was on compacted aglime in a building. Didn't even make a year.

Yes, I suppose that would make a difference. Hadnt thougt of that.

I used a piece of woven wire fencing as a digging barrier for our Pyr under a livestock gate- it had been buried for at least 5 years until we recently removed it. It was a bit rusted, but still whole.

I said the heavier wire might hold up. I know people have used chainlink. Field fencing (what we call heavy woven wire) might also work.

The wire I have is kinda in the middle. Its 2" by 4" welded wire fencing. About 14 gauge.

Anyway, its what I have so we shall see how long it lasts. I dug it in a foot or so when I built the chicken pen and its lasted so far. Even the chicken wire inner facing has lasted pretty good.

But I HATE chicken wire! Hateful stuff, sharp edges no mater what I do to tack them down.

I have half inch hardware cloth in some areas. It's been buried for a year now and it's still just fine. But I hate working with hardware cloth, much worse than chicken wire.

jessie15273":2ltn9mm6 said:
I am doing cement, thats subject to change though, if i think of a better idea

My grow out cage is on cement and I am having a problem with nasty pee seeping out round the edges and with the rain I keep having to add hay to keep the buns dry - the gutters are blocked and my ladder wont reach to get me safely onto the roof to clear them so part of the cage is getting overflowed on :evil: - so as the hay breaks down its adding to the nastyness of the seepage.

The RABBITS are high and dry ontop of many layers of hay but the seepage coming from under all that pee-ed and poo-ed and rain overflowed on hay is pretty nasty by now and I cant clean it all out until my wheelbarrow gets fixed.

But even without the rain the pee seepage is a problem for me so not sure if cement is a good option for me at least.

I'm going to just lay wire on top of the ground and wire the bottom to the sides. I'm also going to provide a spot that's like a "sand-box" for them to dig in. I might try plywood on some parts though... it sounds like a good idea. Although, I like that with the wire, I can have plants for them to graze on.

I used 2" x 4" field fencing - its a heavier gauge. I didn't bury the wire though - I pick up and move my cage over every couple weeks. Its 10' x 4' with field fencing sides and roof. Added aviary wire around the lower portion to keep babies in. Its 6' tall and has 2 levels in the back. There is always a herd of babies up on that 3rd floor they love being up that high with surveillance far and wide! There are no signs of rusting- yet anyways - I scoop out the droppings & hay and then move the cage, so its constantly being re-aired out. New access to grass underfoot - but more importantly, I have a huge day pen coming off the front of it that I also move to a new part of the pasture for foraging. They mow it down by two weeks and I move that too. Its working out really well so far! Because they are only put into the cage at night, I'm able to grow out the babies along with the moms and new litters coming in. Room for all :)

Updating, I have just grass under my rabbits, now. =D
Two does dig, but it's to escape the heat. I have many holes now, pup makes them worse, ducks play in them when it rains and I slip into them some days, but haven't fallen yet. lol.

ChickiesnBunnies":1hrdtapb said:
I have many holes now, pup makes them worse

Our Pyrenese digs holes everywhere, and will not use a dog house. According to the breeder, it is typical behavior- they dig wallows for themselves and shun shelter.

My colonies are in a building, so the floor is concrete, with a one foot concrete rise all the way around. EASY to shovel out with a flat shovel a few times a month.

Latest posts

Back