What does "composite" color mean

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Check out this link. Scroll down to the heading that says "new breed". I have a breeding trio of composites from Dr. Lukefahr and I love them. Great producers for meat and we have gotten kits that are crème, steel, black, BEW, agouti, chinchilla and grey so far from one set of parents!

Joe

http://users.tamuk.edu/kfsdl00/rabb.html

Joe n TN":3h5xhdk4 said:
Check out this link. Scroll down to the heading that says "new breed". I have a breeding trio of composites from Dr. Lukefahr and I love them. Great producers for meat and we have gotten kits that are crème, steel, black, BEW, agouti, chinchilla and grey so far from one set of parents!

Joe

http://users.tamuk.edu/kfsdl00/rabb.html

So composite means you if you had a red rex - if it was composite you could get any color besides red in a litter? I am confused... :?

Composite breed- more than one breed went into developing it IF you go by what the word composite means and the way it is used in the article above. Now when it references composite mothers, its referencing the mix of 2+ lines of NZW.

What I take awy from the article is they bred several different breeds together so they carry many parts of different color genes so you dont really know WHAT they will throw. They "spliced" in some NZW for production reasons and took the best from that...and they are calling that their "new breed"

which isnt actually named but they are calling their "composite" line as its not a breed but many mixed (think heins 57)

So a "Composite" breed would be also what we call our "meat mutts" selective breeding with many different lines, that eventually is bred WITHIN the line to create a predictable variance of offspring.

In the case they are going for fast grow outs, large litters, great milky moms, and unpredictable (to a point) colors ... but its not a "Breed"

Rebel.Rose.Rabbitry":3bajh01e said:
Composite breed- more than one breed went into developing it IF you go by what the word composite means and the way it is used in the article above. Now when it references composite mothers, its referencing the mix of 2+ lines of NZW.

I've just seen it to reference color in a meat rabbit. Thank you! <br /><br /> __________ Mon Jun 23, 2014 7:09 am __________ <br /><br />
BusterHill":3bajh01e said:
What I take awy from the article is they bred several different breeds together so they carry many parts of different color genes so you dont really know WHAT they will throw. They "spliced" in some NZW for production reasons and took the best from that...and they are calling that their "new breed"

which isnt actually named but they are calling their "composite" line as its not a breed but many mixed (think heins 57)

So a "Composite" breed would be also what we call our "meat mutts" selective breeding with many different lines, that eventually is bred WITHIN the line to create a predictable variance of offspring.

In the case they are going for fast grow outs, large litters, great milky moms, and unpredictable (to a point) colors ... but its not a "Breed"

I'm new to meat rabbits and am on a FB group that sells meat rabbits. Someone had some New Zealands for sale and I asked if she had breeding age does available in the red/white color she posted. Her response was "I have both cali and New Zealand bucks does and some colored does also. Color does are composite." I had no clue what composite meant. I do have a better idea now. :) Thanks!

Back