What color?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dove

Reaction score
Dam is a broken black english lop and sire is a magpie rex. I have a pedigree for the dam but not the sire. The sire is definitely not a black magpie, maybe blue or lilac or some light color that resembles blue-ish.
This doe is 8 months old. She looks chinchilla, but seems to have 2 different colors of chin. One is the normal dark grey with bands and the other has a tanish look with bands. From the side, it almost looks like the color change is where tort shading would be. But then there is a big chunk on her rump area with the lighter color.
I thinks it's very pretty and unique. What color would she be? Thanks!

I'll upload some pics in a few minutes. My computer is super slow today.

I'll be interested to see pictures. She is about the age for senior prime molt, and could simply be going through a slow molt. It's not unusual for chins to take on a brownish cast as youngsters, molt out of that, and as they age, the brownish cast returns.

I thought maybe she was doing some sort of molt, but wasn't sure. When I was in school, all I raised was new Zealand whites. So I never had to even think about color, they were all white. :lol: Now I'm in my 30's and just having fun with it.

She's a bit chunky, and the photos aren't that great.......

Here's the dam and sire also......

Attachments

• 555351_4744519094822_1952727282_n.jpg
    555351_4744519094822_1952727282_n.jpg
    62.6 KB
  • 527815_230541387056095_1937551460_n.jpg
    527815_230541387056095_1937551460_n.jpg
    99.8 KB
  • photo 1 (2).JPG
    photo 1 (2).JPG
    150.6 KB
  • photo 3 (2).JPG
    photo 3 (2).JPG
    120.3 KB
  • photo 2 (2).JPG
    photo 2 (2).JPG
    163.9 KB
  • photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    160.1 KB
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    129.9 KB
  • photo 3.JPG
    photo 3.JPG
    150.4 KB
You can see in one picture that the edges of her ears have a brownish color. So, yes, maybe a chocolate chin?
Correct me if I'm wrong......isn't agouti dominant? Since the dam is broken black, and her pedigree is full of blacks, torts, and blues. I don't have a pedigree for the sire. Does that mean he is possibly a chinchilla magpie? I never even looked that close at his hair color. I'll have to check tomorrow and see if his hair is color banded.

Yes, the father is the source of the agouti gene so he is chinchilla with the harlequin gene or shaded agouti with the harlequin gene.

(There are instances where a black rabbit is actually agouti based but I don't think this is your case)

Looks like a chin in molt. My chocolate chins were beige from start to finish, no black at all. I culled the chocolate chin, but if you search you should be able to see a picture somewhere here.

I'll go out tomorrow and see if I can find a chin in molt, I think I culled all the ones that get rusty like that. Usually those ones wind up with a lighter surface color, and that's what I wanted, but I didn't know that at the time, so I culled them.<br /><br />__________ Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:22 pm __________<br /><br />

Chin doe, not in prime

Finished coat. In the Rex, the ones with brown spots tend to be the darker chins, and when the coat ages, it gets brown again. I don't like those ones, because it spoils my pelts :(

Latest posts

Back