Are my Rex rabbits to young for a breeding colony?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rexyrabs

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I have a male standard Rex who is a little over a year old and two does (sisters already living together) that are 4 months old. The sisters live in a large hutch next to the male in his hutch, I’m going to build a large enclosure to have them live together as a colony, but will likely have an extension on the enclosure for the male when the does have kits in order to give them a break from breeding.
Anyway, are the does too young to start breeding in your opinions? I have done quite a bit of research and keep getting conflicting info regarding age for doe to start breeding. Any advice and wisdom would be much appreciated. Thank you.

Hi everyone, I have a male standard Rex who is a little over a year old and two does (sisters already living together) that are 4 months old. The sisters live in a large hutch next to the male in his hutch, I’m going to build a large enclosure to have them live together as a colony, but will likely have an extension on the enclosure for the male when the does have kits in order to give them a break from breeding.
Anyway, are the does too young to start breeding in your opinions? I have done quite a bit of research and keep getting conflicting info regarding age for doe to start breeding. Any advice and wisdom would be much appreciated. Thank you.
I agree with @RabbitsOfTheCreek that it's safer to wait until 5.5-6 months. They can get pregnant before that (and probably will if you introduce the male) but it may compromise their own development.

I'd say 6 months is minimum for small dwarf breeds, standard are more like 7-8 months. Given the does age now and the shortening days your best chance would be to breed them coming february. Longer days and early spring makes them more likely to want a buck, makes it easier for inexperienced young does to get bred rather then just panic.

When I started my colonies, I had Dana's book that suggested easiest eas to start with young rabbits and let them grow together.thats what I did. 2 ,8 week old does with a 12 week buck. Silver fox. Left to their own timing , first litters were at 8 months. I have never had any does living full time with buck, birth younger than 7 months. Bucks seem to turn into horny toads early and can get frustrated with unresponsive young does, sometimes getting a little rough. Have not had that problem when the buck was a little younger than the does. Also they seem calmer even when adding younger does to existing colony if there is older does present. Buck seems to snif around to see if she smells ready but is less pushy with the big girls around to keep him happy. I love my colonies and watching them interact. Bucks can be good protective dads when given a chance. I have never had a buck injure a kit(until the boys are getting big and he is trying to chase them away) my does seem to control breeding. Seem to space liters a few months apart. I have not had back to back litters. Enjoy the adventure and keep us posted

Latest posts

Back