Using tanned pelts

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wish I had an answer for that. I know sewing but not how to tan hides.

Did you give up on it or keep it in there a bit longer? This is so interesting. You should share pics as you go so that others can see what the process looks like. :)

I am kicking myself for not saving any hides now. :(

skysthelimit":3mt1p50v said:
The pelt from the three year old buck, four days in the pickle and I can't get the flesh off. it's the only one, I believe he is the oldest of the group.

How many skins did you have in that pickle? You may need to recharge it and let that older skin sit for a few more days....

Right now there are six, I haven't put in the second cup of alum, because I wanted to get the flesh off all of the hides first. Day four for all. I'm going to go home and take a pict of the hides before (some are still cased) cut it open, and drop some into a third bucket. I'll try to get a pict of fleshing too.<br /><br />__________ Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:08 pm __________<br /><br />Ok, so here are the two buckets.

The one on the left is the fleshed pelt, the one on the right is the three year old buck. I think I am going to have to take this one out and really scrape it. I've been spoiled because I have never done a pelt older than 6 mos, the flesh pulls right off, sometimes at once, though often the fur gets ripped. I prefer the alum because of the white leather, although I have serious reactions to alum in deodorant, so gloves are a must.

Attachments

• SS850805.JPG
    SS850805.JPG
    337.6 KB · Views: 1,315
  • SS850810.JPG
    SS850810.JPG
    339.3 KB · Views: 1,315
  • SS850804.JPG
    SS850804.JPG
    349.4 KB · Views: 1,315
  • SS850809.JPG
    SS850809.JPG
    327.7 KB · Views: 1,315
After this step is *I think* when you get to start working them over a beam of some sort to keep them supple as they dry. It's a ton of work but the better job you do the better finished product you get

mystang89":f5m3o3jn said:
Wow, definite difference. What's the PH in your mix now?

I would have no idea what the pH is, that's too scientific for this activity, I just mix it like it says :) I made the solution exactly per instructions and put the recommended amount of pelts into the solution. What I do know is that the buck is much older than the other pelts, so it's going to take a lot more to get the flesh off of this hide. The average age of the other pelts is 6 mos.

__________ Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:34 am __________

Mary Ann's Rabbitry":f5m3o3jn said:
so i guess the next step is to put them on something to stretch them so they dry flat. Is that right

This is where I did myself wrong, because I have no where to put 20 odd drying pelts!!!! I'm not sure what I am going to do here.<br /><br />__________ Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:37 am __________<br /><br />
3mina":f5m3o3jn said:
After this step is *I think* when you get to start working them over a beam of some sort to keep them supple as they dry. It's a ton of work but the better job you do the better finished product you get

You can wait until they are mostly dry to stretch them. Because they are so young, I stretched them by hand last time. Not sure if I will be able to do that with the pelt of the older buck. They can also go into the dryer, no heat tumbled with shoes.

I remember the first time I did it, couldn't figure why it was so crunchy, then I realized I needed to stretch it before it was totally dry. I had to wt it again and it turned out fine. It's an obvious change from the unstretched leather, it turns white as you stretch it, so you know you are doing it right.

I hit the jackpot at the antique store last weekend. Got an industrial blind-stitch machine from the 1940's. http://antiquemachines.net/us-blind-sti ... e-vintage/ Is a very close picture of it. Right now it is being restored, oiled, cleaned and some jury-rigged parts replaced, like paper-clip tread guides. Can't wait to get it home....Mittens sound like a good first project.

owlsfriend":3favsf7j said:
I hit the jackpot at the antique store last weekend. Got an industrial blind-stitch machine from the 1940's. http://antiquemachines.net/us-blind-sti ... e-vintage/ Is a very close picture of it. Right now it is being restored, oiled, cleaned and some jury-rigged parts replaced, like paper-clip tread guides. Can't wait to get it home....Mittens sound like a good first project.

Now that pretty cool :)

You let them dry part way and then when they are almost dry you work them over the edge of a board or other object. The more you work them the softer the hide. I did read that you can also put them in an old dryer on no heat with tennis balls or golf balls and that will help to soften them as well. I wouldn't try this with my good dryer. ;) Once that is done then you work in leather cream or ointment or oil. Like neatsfoot oil or mink oil to help preserve them and keep them soft. It will also help to protect them from water.
These are all the things I have read though I am yet to try it myself.

I can't wait to see the finished product made into gloves. :)

I and going to be more careful this time. I was more concerned about the fur last time and not the leather, but since the glove will be leather on the outside, I will buff until the leather is smooth.

I'd never heard about the shoes going in the drier with the pelts. Wouldn't there be a chance that the pelts would end up getting injured (torn) since they are so thin or is that only with younger pelts than 6 months?

With fryer pelts you need to be careful regarding the thinness of the leather but with pelts from 6 mo rabbits I wouldn't be really concerned with tearing.

3mina":efi5qjir said:
With fryer pelts you need to be careful regarding the thinness of the leather but with pelts from 6 mo rabbits I wouldn't be really concerned with tearing.

In the dryer, no, the pelts are not that fragile that tennis shoes would tear them. And they would go into the dryer after they are already dry and hard.

The tearing part comes in when you flesh it. Even a 3 year old rabbit hide is susceptible to tearing the leather while fleshing.

I don't plan on putting these ones in the dryer, I will stretch them by hand while they are drying.

The big question is where am I going to put 20+ drying pelts?

I was thinking cloths pins too. If you have a fence that would be a nice place to hang them.....depending on your neighbors. I might want to rethink where I'm going to let mine dry.

I have four german shepherds, so nothing can go outside. I also have a damp, moldy basement, so they can't go there.

Great thread! Ive been thinking that it is such a waste to not be wearing leather and fur. Instead our society is opting for plastic clothes that are not biodegradable. Where are all the cattle and rabbit hides going these days anyway? I love to wear fur. My neighbors trap beaver and tan it.. WOW. Im thinking of a beaver hat and scarf. But how about chinchilla rabbit? or any rabbit for that matter?

Many years ago I use to make deerskin leather shirts and jackets. I used an old time singer sewing machine with a regular sharp needle and cotton thread. Afterwards I punched holes along the seam and laced the seams for a more authenitic old time look. But the singer had the gear box strong enough to do the leather. My newer sewing machine didn't, and perhaps the newer machines are stronger? That might not be an issue with rabbit pelts though.

Someone said to brush the fur aside as you sew. I started thinking that if you taped the fur down with that blue tape they use for painting (home depot)it might be helpful. Its not very sticky and should come right off with hardly any fur loss.

__________ Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:20 am __________

skysthelimit":1m8wioby said:
[The big question is where am I going to put 20+ drying pelts?

Can't you divide them into batches and dry one batch at a time, leaving the others soaking until your ready for them?<br /><br />__________ Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:21 am __________<br /><br />

Do you have a garage or barn? That may be what I end up doing with mine, hanging them in the garage. I don't know if the barn/garage would get them dry enough or if there would be any smell. Just trying to throw some things out there :)

Sky, you can buy retractable clothes lines (the cord is encased in a little spool)- maybe you could put one in a room of the house (or in the barn) and hang them from that? Even stretching a cord between two eye bolts would work.

Mackay":231ud2jc said:
Great thread! Ive been thinking that it is such a waste to not be wearing leather and fur. Instead our society is opting for plastic clothes that are not biodegradable.

You are so right! But what can you expect from a society that believes fake food (margarine, splenda, non-dairy creamer, etc.) is healthier than the real thing?

Latest posts

Back