The Great Horse Feed Experiment

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Miss M

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
I started out feeding our first rabbits on Country Acres 16%. It was what we could afford, and it did the job just fine (yes, I understand it is not at all ideal).

One day, the store was out of Country Acres, so I spent a few more dollars and bought the only other rabbit chow they had -- Purina Complete. Again, our rabbits did just fine on it, birthing and raising good litters, with only a couple of hiccups that any rabbitry can have. This is what I have fed until now.

I still could if I wanted to... the feed store that sells it is about 25 miles away.

But I have another feed store (one that focuses more on feed and farm supply, and less on designer cast iron and jewelry) about 8 miles away now. It's in the middle of farm country, rather than snuggled up near a major metropolitan area. Where the other store sold jewelry, this one sells locally made syrup. The other store has the full line of Lodge cast iron and various fryers, while this one sells medical supplies. When I needed penicillin (PenG) for Thumper, the other store referred me to the vet they were associated with. This store sold me a bottle of PenG and syringes with needles.

And this store makes their own horse feed. Horses are really big around here. You see them everywhere.

I got to thinking, well, horses and rabbits are both ruminants and have very similar digestive systems. Can rabbits eat horse feed?

This store also sells a 16% rabbit pellet by Prime Quality, so I have something to fall back on. It's $15+ for 50 pounds, which is what I was paying for Purina.

I collected the cards from the store that gave the analyses of the various horse feeds they produced. Then I went home and did some looking. Everything seemed to line up except the protein, which was lower than it is in rabbit feed. Most of them were 12% or so, but the Quarter Horse Special Hi Protein was 14%. Adding 17% alfalfa pellets should bring that up.

So today, running very low on rabbit feed due to car trouble that prevented my trip to the feed store, we went and bought horse feed.

50 pounds 14% horse feed.......... $10.25
50 pounds 17% alfalfa pellets..... $13.00
4 pound salt/mineral block........ $2.00

The horse feed contains salt, but at the time, I wasn't sure what it was like in the feed. Would it fall out of my feeders? I asked the lady about what size the feed pellets were. She replied, "Oh, it isn't pellets. It's grain."

GRAIN?!?!?

You mean, just like that, I can be feeding my rabbits grain? Whoa.

I brought the bags home and opened them up. The alfalfa pellets look like super-thick rabbit pellets, but much greener. The feed looks like.... grain.

horsefeed1.jpg

Well, it isn't totally grain. The ingredients list:

Chops, Corn, Crp. & Whole Oats, Soybean Meal, Alfalfa Pellets, Wheat Bran, Manna-Pro Spur Pellets, Trace Minerals, Salt, and Molasses.

I had to look some of that up. Now I know that "chops" is finely chopped hay. If it doesn't say it's from alfalfa, it probably isn't, and is probably just good for fiber. Which is fine, because we need a lot of fiber for rabbits.

Corn I understand. It's mostly whole kernels. I know that corn isn't a very desirable rabbit feed ingredient, but I've never seen a feed that didn't have it - and in significant amounts - being sold around me. While it may be second on the ingredients list, it doesn't look like it should be.

Oats are really what you see most of in the feed, and then also alfalfa pellets. I imagine soybean meal ups the protein a bit. Wheat bran is excellent fiber and has some nutritional value as well. I had to look up the Manna-Pro spur pellets. Apparently, looks to be something you mix with feed to provide more nutritional content. Then, of course, the trace minerals and salt, and lastly molasses.

The other horse feeds had molasses higher in the list, but this one had it dead last. And indeed, while you can detect a slight hint of tack to the feed if you really feel it, and you can certainly smell it, there is very little molasses in this feed. It's almost a little sticky, but it's also almost dry.

So it's not completely grains after all, but very interesting.

I mixed some more alfalfa pellets in with the feed, and grabbed some cheap Glad plastic bowls and some wire fence ties. A couple of slits in each bowl, and some of the new feed, tie the bowl to the cage, and I was in business.

Until they started trying to flip the bowls. So then I added another set of slits and ties to the bowls. :roll:

So far, all seem to like the new feed. I'm also providing some of the Purina in the J-feeders, so they have about half a ration of each.

I will average about $11.50 per 50 pounds, less if this works and I buy it in larger quantities.

It may not be ideal, but I believe it will probably work out. And it may be a stepping-stone toward me going totally into grains for the buns. :)

alot of rabbit people run for the hills at the moment you say corn... but when i got my first rabbits, i got a trio of lionheads and she raised them on horse feed. so she didnt have to buy anything different just horse feed and her rabbits, donkey, and horses and pony all got horse feed.
they were fine rabbits.

ohiogoatgirl":2f41zpwq said:
alot of rabbit people run for the hills at the moment you say corn... but when i got my first rabbits, i got a trio of lionheads and she raised them on horse feed. so she didnt have to buy anything different just horse feed and her rabbits, donkey, and horses and pony all got horse feed.
they were fine rabbits.
My problem with corn is gmo and the heavy dosing with chemicals, I do not know how viable the seed is as feed, anymore/in comparison to how it was before. I also understand that too much can put too much fat on the rabbit.

I tried the horse pellets and they all wound it up the bottom of the cages. But the grain sounds nice. I used to give my pet rabbits dried ears of corn.

I have horses and I gave some sweet feed to my rabbits once to see if they eat it and they did. I don't sweet feed the rabbits regularly but I do slip it in there every now and again just for a treat.

The problem with the horse feed is the molasses content, in the winter it will freeze to almost a solid mass (you'll need to scrape and scrape to get a scoop) if it's not kept in a warm dry barn or indoors. If the horse feed barely has molasses this might not happen.

Bookmarking this thread so I can ask about it in a few months. Very interesting!

I read that a guy who was a top breeder/shower in the 50's to 70's raised his rabbits on 12% protein horse feed. And he was a top dog in the biz. Other breeders will give their show bunz a small handful to help put a nice finish on their show bunnies. If your not afraid of the corn I would give it a shot. :)

Some grains are high in molasses but if its not damp or gooey with it it should feed fine. Mine doesn't freeze hard in the winter and its a mill mix. The perina and prebagged designer mixes tend to have more molasses for some reason.

Miss M, you may find that the rabbits leave behind a lot of the whole corn. I know mine did when I used scratch as a grain supplement. It needn't be wasted though... Your chickens will love it.

hm... i wonder about goat feed?
i will have to go grab a tag off my goat feed and look at the content. i think its cheaper then the rabbit feed now. and i get it closer then where i have to buy rabbit feed at now... hm..

24-hour results:

Pinto: Loves it except for the alfalfa pellets. I'm sure he'll get used to them eventually.
Thumper: Licked his bowl clean!
Fluffy & Nibbles: Didn't seem to like it. Found a good bit of it wasted under the cage.
Squeak: Likes it about as much as pellets.
Yuki: Likes it, but not as much as pellets.

:lol: I have enough pellets left to give them about a 3- to 4-day changeover. I'd have been able to do better, if not for the car trouble!

That's interesting, to see how other people have used horse feed for rabbits and some other animals as well!

Also good to see that any corn that is left over won't be wasted. I guess the chickens will probably eat other spillage as well. :)

I'll keep y'all updated! :razz: And definitely, several months down the road, feel free to ask!!!

One of the worst experiences I ever had was as a youth exhibitor, and it began when I started feeding all-grain horse sweet feed to my rabbits. It seemed innocent enough. It had nothing on the ingredient labels which suggested that feeding it would be detrimental to my rabbits, and at first the rabbits ate it like there was no tomorrow, but I nearly lost everything I had as a result of it.

I know others on here have used it successfully, but I wouldn't personally suggest its usage to anyone. Just my $0.02 worth.

Mary Ann, not really sure if that was directed at me or not, but I was feeding it as a supplement. At first the rabbits ate everything in their feeders, then ate nothing but the sweet feed, then ate absolutely nothing at all. It was devastating to me at the time to see my rabbit operation disintegrate like that. I was fortunate I didn't lose absolutely everything, and would have if I hadn't reversed course when I did. All totalled, I lost about 80% of the rabbits I had at the time, and again, that trend started when I began feeding sweet feed, and it stopped when I eliminated it from their diets.

Maybe it was the corn in it. Maybe it was too much sugary nonsense. Hard to say, but I will never use it again.

Thank you for your sobering words, SatinsRule... I will be watching my rabbits, for sure! How long did it take for your rabbits to stop eating like that?

Interesting page, Mary Ann! Thank you!

Latest posts

Back