The Great Horse Feed Experiment

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Miss M":u00nwpvc said:
Thank you for your sobering words, SatinsRule... I will be watching my rabbits, for sure! How long did it take for your rabbits to stop eating like that?

It was a couple of weeks when they stopped eating their pellets, and just a few days after that they weren't eating at all. Whatever it was took its toll over the course of about 3 weeks. It likely wasn't made any better by the fact that it was the onset of summer at the time, either. Not sure what results others on the forums get in terms of diets during summer, but my rabbits usually don't eat quite as much.

Usually, whenever a rabbit doesn't eat for a couple of days in a row, I begin checking them for signs of scours, and in the above cited case, there was none. They just flat out stopped eating. Not sure exactly what it was, and the only thing I could ever come up with was the excessive molasses which was put into the sweet feed just ruined their apetites for anything else. I tried everything from vitamins and electrolytes in water to bare grain supplements and hay, and only a few satins survived it.

Wierd thing is that it's what ultimately made a satin breeder out of me, but it was a pretty stiff kick in the gut for a teenager who poured alot of himself into building an operation of show rabbits pretty much from the ground up by doing everything from working as a farm hand, to picking up cans and coke bottles, to mowing/raking yards in order to buy equipment and keep feed in front of them.

I fed it as a supplement before the county fair and i got great comments on condition.sometimes horse feed will cause diahrea.

Back