Telly why... sell for $5?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Rather than sell for $5.00, I can find freezer room. I've given rabbits away, one just recently to someone who needed a breeding buck, but if someone tried to buy one of my rabbits for $5.00, I'd have to show him the door.

On the other hand, I've bought several rabbits at $5.00 each. It's a nice way to supplement my food supply when I find them.

I have been lucky and have found many exceptions then, in rabbits, dogs and swine.
i have also be an exception myself and value my gifteds/reduced priced as much as my paid for ones. if not more since they were gifted from the heart.
lets see

my zebu bull- 1/3 the price. they were getting another horse
my zebu cow with calf- 1/2 cost of just the cow. they didn't want to send her to action with the young calf
my riding donkey - free. they got a team of work mules
my nankins -97% off, they hatched too many
my cremes (both herds)- 50% off. they were getting out of the breed
my LGD- free. they wanted to keep a pup from their other LGD
my ossabaw- 50% off and PG. getting out of the breed
my bruns -25%off wanting the breed spread.

i could got on.
and i did NOT ask for any discount on any of these.
I value my animals no matter the price and i have met many who are the same.

I am sooo tired of hearing people use "if you can't afford it you can't take care of it" to ask
high prices. i am not says this about most rabbit people, mostly dog people who charge $2000.00 for a pet but it really pisses me off to hear AND for people to believe it. or the old "you get what you pay for" grrrrr.... not always!

I don't think anyone is trying to imply that good, responsible animal lovers will value an animal less due to the price tag.

Our first family horse came to us because of a death in the family. My daughter Queenpup was given her dearly departed QH mare because she was too old for their teenaged boys to ride but was depressed because she still wanted to work. My son's colt? We bought the mare in foal but had arranged to give the foal back to the seller because he had bred her specifically to get a cutting horse out of her... but then they decided to give the foal to my son since his horse was so old and he would soon need another.

Those animals were and are treasured no less than our others. But they weren't just given to random people on the street- we were known to all of these people and they know our standard of care. I often discount my asking price once I have gotten a feel for people.

But we are getting off topic here-. :oops: The question was why people SELL them for five dollars... and I agree that they just want to get them out of there quickly and are not capable or interested in sending them to the freezer.

yes, it was implied that one could/would not value an inexpensive rabbit. so then it is implied that the seller must not care about the rabbit, since if someone is willing to sell it to someone who doesn't value it....they mustn't care. or they must be selling inferior stock...or trying to fleece someone...
it is the type of person not the amount of $$ that makes them value what they have.

tailwagging":k8y06z1r said:
yes, it was implied that one could/would not value an inexpensive rabbit. so then it is implied that the seller must not care about the rabbit, since if someone is willing to sell it to someone who doesn't value it....they mustn't care. or they must be selling inferior stock...or trying to fleece someone...
it is the type of person not the amount of $$ that makes them value what they have.

Agreed, if I was desperate to get rid of some buns they could be gone tomorrow for $25 a piece and a craigslist ad. I have plenty of rabbits that need to go, but they can wait til I find the right spot for them.

I don't care if people sell their rabbits for $35-$55-$155 whatever. What does irk me is when people whine about other people's prices being too cheap and try to justify it as a negative. I see this happen in a lot hobbies. We have people in one of my other hobbies whine and moan when we give away a lot of product at shows or give away an item to every child who goes to a collector's show. They won't appreciate, they're taking advantage of us, you're ruining the market. Go cry somewhere else, I will never feel bad about being a generous person, nor will I feel bad about being more concerned about the character of an owner than the quality of their checkbook.

I breed many rabbits. If I sell them at 4-5 weeks old at $5 each, and I have a litter of 8-14, I can make money, not much, but I can turn a fast profit and be done with it... but why? Snake breeders will pay more (I know, I'm one of them), pet stores will pay more, people as pets will pay more...

I see people sell out multiple litters at $5 a piece in one go, usually I'll snatch them up, sell the cute/friendly ones to people as pets, sell most off as feeders, and I'll still hold back a few females for myself, and walk away with a couple hundred dollars...

I don't get it, but I won't complain, I'll keep buying all the rabbits I can at $5 each ;)

phillinley":lbjnkr6a said:
tailwagging":lbjnkr6a said:

Agreed, if I was desperate to get rid of some buns they could be gone tomorrow for $25 a piece and a craigslist ad. I have plenty of rabbits that need to go, but they can wait til I find the right spot for them.

I don't care if people sell their rabbits for $35-$55-$155 whatever. What does irk me is when people whine about other people's prices being too cheap and try to justify it as a negative. I see this happen in a lot hobbies. We have people in one of my other hobbies whine and moan when we give away a lot of product at shows or give away an item to every child who goes to a collector's show. They won't appreciate, they're taking advantage of us, you're ruining the market. Go cry somewhere else, I will never feel bad about being a generous person, nor will I feel bad about being more concerned about the character of an owner than the quality of their checkbook.

I've bolded the portion of your statement I agree most strongly with (having had experience with that particular aspect of life). In the Quilting World, I assist my guild in putting on its biennial show. We have freebies for kids under 12 and some leeway for teens. If those of us committed to a passion won't encourage younger ones in that passion, who the heck will???<br /><br />__________ Fri Oct 25, 2013 5:24 pm __________<br /><br />
Millinex":lbjnkr6a said:
I breed many rabbits. If I sell them at 4-5 weeks old at $5 each, and I have a litter of 8-14, I can make money, not much, but I can turn a fast profit and be done with it... but why? Snake breeders will pay more (I know, I'm one of them), pet stores will pay more, people as pets will pay more...

I see people sell out multiple litters at $5 a piece in one go, usually I'll snatch them up, sell the cute/friendly ones to people as pets, sell most off as feeders, and I'll still hold back a few females for myself, and walk away with a couple hundred dollars...

I don't get it, but I won't complain, I'll keep buying all the rabbits I can at $5 each ;)

Is it legal in Colorado to sell rabbits at so young an age? The law in California is 8 weeks; I think in many states it's somewhere from 6 to 8 weeks. Or are the 4-5-week-old babies being sold as reptile food rather than pets? *confused; sorry*

I price mine pretty reasonable as I pay for good quality and the kits sometimes out do there parents so I think people would be able to pay for quality rabbits but maybe it's the few people that live here I don't know but I can't seem to sell everything I breed its as if I am asking to much but I pay double that for a rabbit and i have so many pairs I want to breed and i have like there last litter available still lol and I myself don't have room for 300 + rabbits so I keep the thought in my head RABBITRY HERD REDUCTION LOL
But definitely dont give away rabbits cause I might aswell keep them then cause I know they will be in a good home at least

Don't they value what they produce?
I have my projects where I am producing quality rabbits and then I have an extra doe of some other breed or of no known breed which produces things that are good for nothing. Not bulky enough for meat and not small or colorful enough for pet. They aren't worth the cage space so they go in colony with a buck. I wish someone would take them off my hands for $5 but sometimes I can't sell purebreds for $10. Reason I quit raising mini rex. So I waste a bit of my time butchering them to let my dog spend 2 mins eating them. They have no value beyond that.

I just gave 3 dozen rabbits away free because it was the only way I could get rid of them fast enough. If I'd asked even a tiny bit for them I would have dealt twice as many tire kickers and half as many buyers.

I do hope I wasn't coming across as though I were complaining about it, or being a whiner.

I just don't understand the concept.

I do understand cutting a newbie to the field of rabbits some slack. I've done it, but tend not to, I'll cut people slack if I think it warrants it. But I tend not to do that too much as I've seen people turn around and dump the rabbit within three months. Selling it for way more then it should be sold for and then crowing about how they got it for free and now they are xxx dollars ahead of the game. I don't like that. And perhaps it shouldn't stop me from being generous.... but it does.

I just don't understand the raising rabbits, knowing what it costs to raise rabbits, and then seeing people not cover their own feed bills to sell $5 bunnies.

Now I have some more understanding though.

I just was reading this and went to do my nightly check on craigslist looking for rabbit items and what do I come across? An add of $5 Californians! Made my day since we are in the market for a doe but it was surprising since I had just read this post. They, like someone had mentioned on a post, are getting out of rabbits and are selling their rabbits and items off for extremely good prices.

I recently bought 3 rabbits for $ 5 each. Lady called it a rehoming fee. The 2 medium size males I already sold for $ 10 each. I am keeping the big NZ white doe as a breeding animal. That same day I also got 2 free mini lop does. I am keeping them as breeding animals.
I have only been back into rabbits for a short time now. Inexpensive animals are my way to get back into this. My 3 mini rex adults were gifted to me back in June. The most I have paid for any rabbit is $ 15 for the broken color mini lop male. I am trying to buy a young NZ male for $ 10 in the next few days.

To me, price is not the deciding factor. If I need a certain rabbit I know I will have to pay the asking price. Whether it is $ 5 or $ 50. I can play the waiting game to get what I want, at the price I want to pay. If I miss a deal, there will be another one.

A lot of times, one only has so much space to work with and usually a budget decides on how much money, you can invest into rabbits. Selling a rabbit for $ 5 gets it gone, and then you don't have to feed it, and the cage space becomes available for another animal.

I don't plan on showing rabbits. To me, this is a backyard hobby and a way to hopefully make a few dollars to pay their feed costs. I keep records so I will know if I am losing money or coming out ahead. I keep records for the chickens too. Hubby tried telling me, that they were a negative on the budget. I showed him the egg $$ numbers. The drain on the grain is the wild birds he feeds :(

phillinley":3ym5qzkj said:

You see the complaining so much. I've been the complainer and the source of complaints many times lol.

I know here I see people selling pre 8 week rabbits pretty cheap (weaned = legal here). I wonder if some are breeding for snakes and what can't be eaten gets dumped cheap.

TAD,
I believe you are correct!
You can achieve your goal by proper breeding and culling techniques.
In the past I have purchased some very inexpensive rabbits,
I did so because they had something that I needed to add to
my herd. Just because a Rabbit has a HIGH price does not necessarily
make it better than any other Rabbit! When you see/spot the Rabbit
that appears to possess that "extra special" something that you have been
looking for, it's time to break out the Wallet!
Ottersatin. :eek:ldtimer:

I'm not complaining at all. I just want to cover my feed bills too. $5 won't do that, but using the meat for myself will. It's more valuable as meat and will go farther than the $5 would. I'd waste money at that price. Even at full production, I still don't raise enough meat. I have a long ways to go before I have to give away rabbits to make room for others.

As far as giving away to encourage others, I've done it and it's great when it works. When you have honest people who appreciate it. But...sorry, I don't live in that world, I live in the earn it world. You give people things and they expect handout for life. It's sickening that amount of people who want something for nothing around here, who give you some sad sob story, and you give it away or lower your price, so they can breed it, and/or flip it for greater than what you were selling it for. I didn't get any hand outs, and I expect others to work just like I did to get what they want.

..> to be fair the ones i sell at about $5 that i know are being resold aren't big enough to actually be worth more then that in meat...mostly remnants of my failed attempt to work with lion heads...so tiny little things. >.> that and runts ...if they reach near meat weights yeah not going to sell for that at all o.o

My thought is this: If your rabbits are worth $50, sell them for $50. If they are worth $5, sell them for $5.

Just because there are cars selling for $10,000 doesn't mean that Mercede-Benzs or Farrari lowers the sales cost of their vehicles. They know the value of their vehicles and knows that people who value quality will pay the price.

The same is true of any product whether a rabbit, a horse, a car, or a diamond. Know the value of your product, and not sell for less. Learn to point out the reasons your $50 rabbit is better than the $5 rabbit and cater to the more exclusive market wanting the better quality rabbit.

I would much rather my rabbit have a chance at a life then just put in the freezer because I couldn't get the $$$ for it. I don't care if it was worth $1000.00. and rabbit in the freezer is only worth $5.00
I raise rabbits to conserve the breed and get it's poop for my plants. that five bucks can get me 4 meals of all ready cook chicken. the same amount as if i killed and cook the rabbit, with less work and i haven't killed gene pool.
now if it doesn't sale or i can't seed start someone and i need the cage space, yes i'll use it for dinner or feed my dog. but it sure isn't $50.00 worth of meat.

I am considering sending all my Creme D'Argents to freezer camp unless another breeder is interested. I only breed the best and don't want a pet quality breeder ruining all the work put into preserving the Cremes and improving them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back