Starting to hate rabbits

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bunbun farm

Reaction score
OK so here is the the problem this is our first couple of meat rabbits we've never done rabbits before and I think we'll be getting rid of them :explode: -/-( :fridge: they are not breeding and they rip up my arms when I pick them up, they stink x :shock: they eat to much they are a lot of work and we just started quail for meat and its way easyer ! Can anybody help me or talk me out of this because I really wanted to do this :evil: :oops: :( oh and the last time we put the doe in with the buck she atacked him

Rabbits have quite the learning curve. :lol:

1: They tend to breed easily if they are fit, healthy, and it's the right time for them. Or at least, it seems that way to me.
Getting the timing down and reading the signs can take some experience. Breeding became much easier for me when I stopped worrying about calender dates, and started just watching the rabbits for indicators of receptiveness.

2: You can wear gloves, train the rabbits towards handling, get used to being ripped up, or eat the ones you dislike and keep only rabbits that are docile. (The last option can be a little harder on you come slaughtering time.)

3: I like the smell of rabbits. If you find the smell of yours to be overpowering... consider making some changes to your setup. Improving air circulation or waste removal perhaps.

4: Yes, they eat a lot. Feeding grass hay along with the pellets helps lower the feed bill and improves digestion.

5: The workload depends on your setup. I do not feel mine are very much work, but I like them. :shrug:

6: I love my quail too, but they have complications of their own...

Good info from Zass, of course ;)

The only time I have had a bad smell from the rabbits is when there was something wrong (I had one that was way too fat and not cleaning herself which led to a nasty infection and maggots :sick: ) - the typical, more "earthy" type smell is actually one that triggers fond childhood memories, so I kind of like it as well :oops: . MUCH better than my chickens, that's for sure! :lol:

I am not sure for quail, but I would much rather butcher a rabbit over a chicken any day... they are much easier overall. Oh and how old are they? I was thinking you posted semi-recently about them no being interested in breeding? It might be that one is ready while the other is not, hence the issues... just tossing that idea out there.

As for the temperament of the ones you have, that would be discouraging. I have rabbits from a few different places and their personalities definitely reflect their raising. Some are total cuddle buns and greet me at the cage door every time I go out. Others are skittish and run as soon as I get close. I am keeping the cuddly ones, and will be putting the others in the freezer. I don't handle them too much (I scratch and rub them whenever I go out, but don't pick them up often), but when I do I make sure to wear gloves and a heavy flannel shirt or my Carhartt jacket ( :love: my Carhartt!).

I have had rabbits for a little over 6 months now, and they do require a bit more time and attention than the chickens, but I am enjoying them so much more! It's not for everyone I guess, though. It's a personal decision. If it's something you really want to do, it might be worth looking into some different breeders... some with a bit friendlier personalities might make a huge difference for you.

I am not sure for quail, but I would much rather butcher a rabbit over a chicken any day...

Chickens are kind of icky and tedious to me.

Rabbits are very quick and easy in comparison.

But, it only takes me about 25 seconds to dress a quail.

Quail poo is still ickier than rabbit poo.

OK I think it's the setup that makes it hard we have them In a garden shop in a huge dog cage devided in twoso meybe there's not enough air circulation, and for the poo we have a poo pan they poop in as for their personality the doe is a mulebrained knucklehead but the male is super sweet but still fights when we pick him up I'm thinking we could put them outside in cages and just let the poo fall on the ground and then just shovel it out they would be in the shade so :groooan:

Zass":z6kwxx53 said:
I am not sure for quail, but I would much rather butcher a rabbit over a chicken any day...

Chickens are kind of icky and tedious to me.

Rabbits are very quick and easy in comparison.

Quail poo is still ickier than rabbit poo.
Hmmmm... as if I need another thing going on... that is tempting though! Any good YouTube videos you would recommend? I am curious now!

heritage":1qw4lksi said:
Zass":1qw4lksi said:
Hmmmm... as if I need another thing going on... that is tempting though! Any good YouTube videos you would recommend? I am curious now!

I dunno. I didn't need a video to process. I just used a really sharp little blade and a pair of shears.
Snipped of head
Pulled feathers off (they came off easily for me without scalding)
Snipped off feet and wings
Opened cavity and pulled out organs. Not much in there.

The skin tears easily, but since I planned on stewing my little birds instead of roasting, that wasn't a problem for me.

Not sure where you are in Arizona, but here in Kansas it's pretty hot.

Buck might be temporarily sterile due to heat. Rabbits just might be too hot to care about breeding.

Do you have pine shavings or absorbent pads in the pan under the dog pen? Strong smell of urine or ammonia is not good - moving them outdoors would be good. Keep the pen off the ground or the rabbits will end up sitting in their own poo and pee. You might look into getting rabbits pens with floors, etc. designed for rabbits. If you move them outside, take care that they will be safe from predators. You should also keep them out of direct sun.

Unless they've been handled frequently since weaning, most rabbits don't like to be picked up. They want their feet in contact with the ground. They are prey animals - the only way they can protect themselves is to 1) run, 2) kick and scratch, and 3) bite. There is a difference between being afraid and being mean. If you determine that your doe is just plain mean, practice your processing skills.

I always recommend that folks buy young breeding stock, so that both the rabbit and the breeder are used to each other by the time the rabbits are old enough to breed. Maybe you just need different stock.

I tell my customers that rabbits don't "breed like rabbits". As Zass said, there's a pretty big learning curve. Hopefully, you won't get too discouraged. Best of luck to you.

We are in AZ as well and having a similar smell issue. We have an 8x10 shed with 7 rabbits in it. It's insulated and has an small air conditioning unit attached. We clean cages weekly with vinegar. I've wiped the walls down and poured vinegar on the floor on the "wet spots". I've used DE, Sweet PDZ along with pine shavings in their pans. I was finding urin on the ceiling for crying out loud. My bucks are in a wooden hutch. One of my does is in a refurbished dog cage. I believe she is the "ceiling" culprit and the one with the odor problem. I have added a little apple cider vinegar to their water bottles. This week, I pulled everything out and wiped the ceiling and walls again but this time with nature's miracle, all cages were cleaned with the same stuff. I will see if this makes any difference. My next option is to invest in only wire cages. Right now we are working with what we have accumulated over time. It is more work than I thought and also very rewarding. Another note - A couple of our does went through an nasty teenage stage. Once they became moms, they really settled down. I still get scratched and pawed at now and then but no grunting anymore. Some are just way more comfortable with being petted and "loved on" than others. None of ours like to be picked up. Treats and time have made a difference. Best of luck.

Some does will attack a buck if they are already pregnant. Are you sure she was not bred on a previous visit with the buck?

Also, are you positive you have a buck and a doe? Two bucks or two does are certain to fight if you suddenly stick one in the cage with the other.

Rabbits take time to learn and get the right stock and the right setup for your needs. They are actually one of the more difficult small animals I've dealt with. Breeding can be a huge frustration. Sometimes they are too young, sometimes the buck goes heat sterile, sometimes the doe is a little too overweight for easy breeding (this can happen quite young if breeding is delayed and feeding isn't carefully watched), sometimes the does just don't seem to feel like it for no apparent reason. People feed them apple cider vinegar, electrolytes, herbal teas, and all sorts of attempts to make them feel like breeding. People will also try to position the doe hindquarters or even tie a string to her tail to lift it when the buck mounts. Personally if I was looking for meat and nothing else I would just skip it all. Give them several attempts to breed in good weather at a mature age (6 months minimum to start for large breeds and I'd probably try up to 10months) and if not I'd just move on to more rabbits until I have plenty of easy to breed rabbits making large litters. Show rabbits and especially small breeds may require putting in more finesse to be successful since sometimes there isn't a whole lot of easy to breed stock to find for startup.

i do understand.

I've given up specific breeds because of temperament, difficulty with conception, failure for kits to thrive, poor mothering skills. I've tried many tricks of the trade, and have simply decided if it doesn't work naturally, get something else.

No matter what, it does take a while to get a rhythm going. If you enjoy rabbits, then cull the group and get some new ones.

Bunbun farm":4ah8c2w5 said:
OK I think it's the setup that makes it hard we have them In a garden shop in a huge dog cage devided in twoso meybe there's not enough air circulation, and for the poo we have a poo pan they poop in as for their personality the doe is a mulebrained knucklehead but the male is super sweet but still fights when we pick him up I'm thinking we could put them outside in cages and just let the poo fall on the ground and then just shovel it out they would be in the shade so :groooan:

How large are the cages and how many rabbits do you have in them?

I'm pretty sure the doe isn't a buck but she is pretty young so meybe we'll wait a month before trying to breed her and the smell is now completely gone what I did was turn the air on high and open the door and i t got the smelly air out :D and I think the buck is too fat we freefeed them should I put him on a diet?

A large dog crate divided in half is probably a bit crowded for meat rabbits.

My pens are hanging wire, 4 ft by 2 ft, by 18 in, and they are still smaller than what I'd like for when the does have big litters. <br /><br /> __________ Mon Aug 10, 2015 5:43 pm __________ <br /><br /> You will definitely need more pens for growing out the kits too.

Bunbun farm":3qg11ckx said:
I think the buck is too fat we freefeed them should I put him on a diet?

I would. Well, we do. :D Feeling the spine will tell you if he's fat. If you can feel his spine easily, he's good. If his spine feels spiky, he's thin. If his spine feels almost not there, he's fat. But some Californian breeds have such well developed loins that you really have to feel to get to the spine. I'd just give him a three-quarter cup full of pellets daily. That'll lose him some fat, if that's what he is! :lol:

Sounds like you've got buns with poor temper to me. At least on the doe. The buck might sweeten with some gentle handling and treats. Start slow with him. The girl..... I don't know. If you have the patience then wait till a month or two are past, see if she's kindled or sweetened. If you don't have the patience then remember that there are sweeter buns out there.

And I would check to see if it is a girl. :)

Don't give up! :D

Sounds like your set up is just not ideal for what you want to do.
You need good rabbit cages with pans under that you can dump every day or two.
Even my outdoor rabbits get their pans dumped and rinsed every three days.
The better your set up the easier it will be. :D

Bunbun farm":32wyftyp said:
OK thanks oh and I've heard apple cider vinegar is good for them why??

It can provide better digestive health if they need it. Rabbits that have a more natural diet to include weeds and greens may not need it or benefit as much as those on a diet of pellets alone.

It also acidifies the urine so it should help with the odor..if your buns get dark or sludgy pee it will make a difference.
It does sound to me like you are getting frustrated with your adventure though...don't be so quick to write off the buns yet. different rabbits have different personalities some take a lot more time and effort than others.Some will never like to be picked up,They are prey animals and they associate it with being carried off for dinner. :x So be gentle but firm hold one hand behind their front legs and scoop up their but with the other, get them in a football hold and let them bury their face in your arm fold.Hold them securely to your body so they feel safe.Talk or sing to them too, I know it sounds weird but it works, it helps them to know that you are not a threat.
I am in Arizona too, so depending where you are and how you keep your buns you may not be able to breed for a while, I don't breed until October and then have the last litters in June or May.Depending on how much I need for the freezer and who is getting replaced..
Please know that we are all here for you and want very much for you to have a successful and enjoyable experience. Rabbits can be great therapy, It is really hard to be snippy when you are holding a baby bun. :lol:

Latest posts

Back