Start to finish...Processing Video.

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grumpy

Reaction score
Here's the 'rough-cut' version of the video made last Thursday.

Your welcomed to view it as often as you wish.
But, please, do not copy it. Nor move it to a
different location.

It is copyrighted w/all rights reserved.

As I said, It's 'rough-cut', so please excuse the misspellings and grammatical errors.
These will be corrected in the final version.

Grumpy.

http://keithdewey3.smugmug.com/ClientRe ... &k=SxzjHJr

That is great! Watched the whole thing start to finish. You made it look very easy and smooth. I haven't processed a rabbit yet, hoping I have something by fall. I will defiately go back to yours for reference, it is very helpful.

Thank you for sharing with all of us!

You know, Grumpy, when I was taught how to dress an animal out, it was always in the field and so I learned to do it "flat," on the ground. When I started dressing out my meat rabbits, I did so on a massive cutting board, on a countertop or on the deck outside, treating the rabbit as if it was a "miniature deer" for all intents and purposes. I saw a few videos where they hung the rabbits up but none made a lot of "sense" to me it was like an added hassle. Plus the ones I saw all said you had to have hooks for the rabbit's feet, and no way am I able to set up a permanent dress-out station like that.

Your video...makes so much sense to me. I've been gutting from trachea-down, but now I'm eager to try your method!!!! It looks so much smoother and easier than my way. Everything just...sorta falls out! Awesome!!! Your dispatch-to-clean/dressed is amazing, time-wise.

Thank you so much for posting this!!!! I really appreciate it! :)

A few questions. :) First, is when you hung up the rabbit. What kind of rope or twine is that? Would plain old baling twine work?

Second, when removing the gallbladder, what is your advice if it bursts? I haven't had this happen yet but removing the darn thing is a challenge, so I will be using pliers from now on.

Third, are those just regular scissors or specialty scissors?

Thanks again for posting this! I wonder how much time I can shave off my dress-out trying this next time. :)

Bigredfeather":3tgulzp6 said:
Wow! Good lookin gals and rabbit guts on the same screen....very nice.
Seriously, thank you for sharing this. It is very helpful.

Yeah.....Keith's a professional photographer,
and a super-great friend.
What took about 30-45 minutes to do,
stretched into a 3 hour BS session.

The women?? You got that right!!
He's photo'd some real beauties.
Several of his pics are in Vogue.
Plus he's got the cover shot in another.

He also develops the covers for my novels.

__________ Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:19 am __________

Kyle@theHeathertoft":3tgulzp6 said:
You know, Grumpy, when I was taught how to dress an animal out, it was always in the field and so I learned to do it "flat," on the ground. When I started dressing out my meat rabbits, I did so on a massive cutting board, on a countertop or on the deck outside, treating the rabbit as if it was a "miniature deer" for all intents and purposes. I saw a few videos where they hung the rabbits up but none made a lot of "sense" to me it was like an added hassle. Plus the ones I saw all said you had to have hooks for the rabbit's feet, and no way am I able to set up a permanent dress-out station like that.

Your video...makes so much sense to me. I've been gutting from trachea-down, but now I'm eager to try your method!!!! It looks so much smoother and easier than my way. Everything just...sorta falls out! Awesome!!! Your dispatch-to-clean/dressed is amazing, time-wise.
LOL...Keith had me 'keep-my-mouth-shut' and
"just skin the durned thing!"
My time was 4 minutes, 53 seconds.
Surprised the heck out of myself!

Thank you so much for posting this!!!! I really appreciate it! :)

A few questions. :) First, is when you hung up the rabbit. What kind of rope or twine is that? Would plain old baling twine work?
Those are 1/8" braided nylon cords...
15" inches long, joined in a circle with a square knot.
They have about an 800 pound tensile strength.
I've used these for years and years.
Never did like the metal hooks.

Second, when removing the gallbladder, what is your advice if it bursts? I haven't had this happen yet but removing the darn thing is a challenge, so I will be using pliers from now on.
If one bursts,,,,I discard the item.
Better safe than sorry.

Third, are those just regular scissors or specialty scissors?
Just regular scissors from Dollar General.
They work great for small areas.
Those hearts are 'super-slippery' when harvested.
After they've chilled in cold water, they're like marbles.

Thanks again for posting this! I wonder how much time I can shave off my dress-out trying this next time. :)

NOTE: If you'll notice when I remove the liver....
The heart is still reflexively pumping.
You'll see a 'stream' of blood spurt
when I remove the diagphram.
Speed is of the essence when processing fryers.

My GOAL...is to never allow any of the
"internal"--'offal' contents come into contact with
the edible portions of the processed animal.

Grumpy. BTW: My given name is 'Keith'...So's the photographer's.

I was just telling hubby he was going to have to do some internet searching for videos on this very subject. Now, he doesn't have to. Thanks Grumpy :)

Marinea":94bkxgfg said:
I was just telling hubby he was going to have to do some internet searching for videos on this very subject. Now, he doesn't have to. Thanks Grumpy :)

I tried to show the "ease" it takes
to process a fryer. There's nothing involved
that should 'over-whelm' someone. Just take a
few deep breaths before you begin and it will
all work out in the end. Remember, I've been
doing this since the mid-70's.

I was more nervous about the 'acceptance'
of people who view the segment. What "I" see
as "normal-and-easy" someone else may well
take exception to. I fully expect some negative
replies and opposing offered opinions.

Grumpy.

I love all the little extras you do, such as removing tendons and such. Ive never done a fryer, so Im excited when the skin comes off as easily ;) Thanks so much!

Great video!!! I always feel like I am all thumbs when I am processing, you make it look so easy. :bow:

I`ve watched as far as removing the entrails, but my poor computer is struggling to keep up, I only get 3 or 4 second bites and its buffering. I`ll watch the rest later.

What I`ve seen so far is brilliant.

Thank you for posting this video.

Thanks for sharing :)
I've had some trouble with the tail and such before but I'll watch this video again before my next process and see if it get's easier your way.

Thanks for posting this Grumpy. I have had the hardest time removing the tail and such. I always wasted so much liver cutting out the gallbladder. Thanks for showing me a better way. Next time I butcher I will review your video and do it your way.

I have a 7 year old daughter at home is all gun-ho to butcher rabbits when the first time comes. I sent this link for her to watch. I got a call a few hours from my daughter wanting to know where my pruners where. I asked her why, and she said she was getting all the stuff we needed to butcher rabbits rounded up so we would be ready, LOL. If I know her like I think I do, she's watched this video 5 or 6 times by now. Last week I saw her watching a Youtube video on how to make several different rabbit recipes. Looks like I've found my right hand rabbit "man".

AmysMacdog":qgc2jucs said:
Grumpy are you going to make it available on DVD? Would love to buy one! :)

Yes.......I will. I jumped the gun. So to speak.
I made this video as an instructional tool for
a processor trying to get USDA certification for
rabbit slaughter here in Missouri.

Since I "own" the video and any consequent DVD's
I opted to share the "rough-cut" version on this site.
Once the final approval is granted on the video,
I'll send one of the DVD's to the processor and USDA
inspectors for them to use in developing their protocols.

It will be a few more days before the final version
is ready. Keith likes to scrutinize the video almost
frame-by-frame. He's that meticulous.<br /><br />__________ Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:26 pm __________<br /><br />
Demamma":qgc2jucs said:
Thanks for posting this Grumpy. I have had the hardest time removing the tail and such. I always wasted so much liver cutting out the gallbladder. Thanks for showing me a better way. Next time I butcher I will review your video and do it your way.

Most folks have trouble in the tail area.
By leaving the tuft of hair on the end of the tail,
you've got a 'handle' so to speak to hold on to.
Just carefully cut down to the tail-bone, keeping
a slight downward pressure on it and you'll feel
the bone detach and will hear a slight snap.

Then, it's just a matter of trimming the lower intestine
along with the major arteries in that area away from the
body. Once you trim down to the kidneys, you can let
the lower-gut and bladder rest on the exposed intestines.
Going in behind the stomach..in front of the liver..is a
little tricky. But, once you sever the main connection,
the entire gut pile falls swiftly away from the meat and
into the bucket.

Grumpy.

Bigredfeather":18vcqeq1 said:
I have a 7 year old daughter at home is all gun-ho to butcher rabbits when the first time comes. I sent this link for her to watch. I got a call a few hours from my daughter wanting to know where my pruners where. I asked her why, and she said she was getting all the stuff we needed to butcher rabbits rounded up so we would be ready, LOL. If I know her like I think I do, she's watched this video 5 or 6 times by now. Last week I saw her watching a Youtube video on how to make several different rabbit recipes. Looks like I've found my right hand rabbit "man".
That is awesome! :lol:

Both of our kids participate, too. :)

Back