small world brand rabbit pellets

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toastedoat37

Reaction score
Anyone use Small world brand rabbit pellets sold at walmart? Its the best price around here for rabbit pellets without corn. sold in 25 lb bags. I guess the price one it is not the same at all walmart stores.

One of my rabbits was raised on the stuff, won't eat any other pellet, and even with access to it 24/7, she's still skin and bones... :? It's expensive here, so I only buy it for her.

I will own up to using it. I have to say, so far I am not seeing a great deal of different in feeds, national brands, local brand or Walmart. But perhaps that's because I was feeding alfalfa hay before, and oats and boss.

I used to buy it long ago when it was around $6 for 25 pounds. Only one of the stores stocked it sometimes. Switched to Purina Rabbit Chow after I found a feed store and it was cheaper than WalMart. At the time it was about $11 for 50 pounds. Almost double that now in around 5 years. Some times they would raise the price several times a year. I like Small World because the pellets were hard and there's little fines.

If I lived out there and had the options for feed which most of that area has, I'd never buy the first morsel of rabbit feed from Wally World, PetSmart, Petco, or anywhere else like that.

As a very minimum, I'd try to locate dealers of King, Kent or Heinold feeds. Also, asking around among showroom breeders will give you leads on additional local brands which work exceptionally well.

Thankyou for the brand names satin. Your kind of mistaken about having a lot of options, ive check around a lot of the state of washington and oregon , just trying to study about all the brands of feed and what they put in them. King doesnt has dealers in my state , they have two in oregon close to each other 300 hundred miles away. Kent has no dealers in washington either , the closest one in oregon 264 miles away. Heinold has one dealer in my state 230 miles away.

there are only a few small areas in the state of wa and oregon where there is a concentration of rabbit raisers. In those small areas, the people living there do have a choice. Where i live, I am very limited on what i can buy without having to drive quite a ways, so far i can buy that stuff at walmart for 15 for fifty lbs,, or i can buy Albers for 26 or 27, and there is one more that i havent checked out yet. other than those three choices,, just now starting to check out feed prices and whats in them.

There are a lot of choices in the state though, if a guy is willing to pay the travel expense. And if i know what brand i want, i may be able to get my local hardware and farm supply to order it for me. They have small bags of purina, i bet i can probably get them to order larger bags. Long long ago Albers used to be the best you could get on the west coast, but im sure they have changed their formula since then, and the local place that carries it, im concerned with how long it sits on the shelf. Rabbit pellets loses nutritional value fairly rapid.

This is the ingredient list....

Guaranteed Analysis:
Crude Protein - Min - 16.00%.
Crude Fat - Min - 2.50%.
Crude Fiber - Min - 15.00%. Crude Fiber - Max - 20.00%.
Calcium - Min - 0.75%. Calcium - Max - 1.25%.
Phosphorus - Min - 0.50%.
Salt - Min - 0.25%. Salt - Max - 0.75%.
Sodium - Max - 0.30%.
Vitamin A - Min - 3,000 Iu/Lb.

Dehydrated Alfalfa Meal, Wheat Middling's, Roughage Products, Soybean Meal, Feeding Oatmeal, DL-Methionine, Yucca Schidigera, Extract Calcium Carbonate, Salt, Ferrous Carbonate, Ferrous Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Manganese Oxide, Manganese Sulfate, Zinc Oxide, Zinc Sulfate, Cobalt Carbonate, Calcium Iodate, Sodium Selenite, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate, Riboflavin Supplement, Niacin Supplement, Choline Chloride, Calcium Pantothenate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Folic Acid, Biotin, Vitamin B12 Supplement.

Note: This Products Was Made In A Facility That Handles Peanuts. Pursuant To California Labeling Laws, The Following Ingredient Statement Applies To Product Manufactured In Our Fresno, Ca Facility. Product Manufactured At This Facility Will Include The Letter "F" In The Date Code. The Date Code Can Be Found On The White Strip At The Bottom Of The Bag.

Sun Cured Alfalfa Meal, Wheat Mill Run, Soybean Hulls (8.0%), Safflower Meal, Rice Bran, Soybean Meal, Feeding Oatmeal, DL-Methionine, Yucca Schidigera, Extract Calcium Carbonate, Salt, Ferrous Carbonate, Ferrous Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Manganese Oxide, Manganese Sulfate, Zinc Oxide, Zinc Sulfate, Cobalt Carbonate, Calcium Iodate, Sodium Selenite, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement, Thiamine Mono Nitrate, Riboflavin Supplement, Niacin Supplement, Choline Chloride, Calcium Pantothenate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Folic Acid, Biotin, Vitamin B12 Supplement.

Just in case anyone was wondering...

There are three types of feed here, four if you count kalambach, Purina, mannapro, and buckeye. Buckeye, the local brand contains corn. Interesting, mannapro and Walmart brand are the same price, but Walmart is five minutes from me and TSC is 35 minutes. This is the city, there is no such thing as a local feed store.

toastedoat37":3qf9167h said:
And if i know what brand i want, i may be able to get my local hardware and farm supply to order it for me. They have small bags of purina, i bet i can probably get them to order larger bags.
Some other members have been able to get food by ordering through hardware stores, feed stores, and TSC. A few deal directly with local mills, but you have to order huge amounts.

I'm able to get Purina Complete at a feed store a half-hour away. It's the only feed I've found so far. I know it's generally considered an inferior feed on here, but my rabbits do fine on it. Once we move, I'm hoping for more options. :)

toastedoat37":3bxx5wvs said:
Thankyou for the brand names satin. Your kind of mistaken about having a lot of options, ive check around a lot of the state of washington and oregon , just trying to study about all the brands of feed and what they put in them. King doesnt has dealers in my state , they have two in oregon close to each other 300 hundred miles away. Kent has no dealers in washington either , the closest one in oregon 264 miles away. Heinold has one dealer in my state 230 miles away.

there are only a few small areas in the state of wa and oregon where there is a concentration of rabbit raisers. In those small areas, the people living there do have a choice. Where i live, I am very limited on what i can buy without having to drive quite a ways, so far i can buy that stuff at walmart for 15 for fifty lbs,, or i can buy Albers for 26 or 27, and there is one more that i havent checked out yet. other than those three choices,, just now starting to check out feed prices and whats in them.

There are a lot of choices in the state though, if a guy is willing to pay the travel expense. And if i know what brand i want, i may be able to get my local hardware and farm supply to order it for me. They have small bags of purina, i bet i can probably get them to order larger bags. Long long ago Albers used to be the best you could get on the west coast, but im sure they have changed their formula since then, and the local place that carries it, im concerned with how long it sits on the shelf. Rabbit pellets loses nutritional value fairly rapid.

That is strange, mainly because every time I've ever searched thos companies for "the dealer nearest you (in Arkansas, they're non-existant), they seem to list virtually every state in the upper midwest and all the west coast states. I know ya'll have big states, but dangit, 230+ miles to the nearest dealer? I had no idea.

X-Cel makes two different protein content pellets; located in Tacoma, supplier to several feed stores.There's a feed mill up in Conway (Conway Feeds?) that has a couple of formulations too, one of them 21% protein. There are at least two buyer's clubs that get Pfau's in by the ton regularly, but I don't have contact info for them; ask Carrie Thompson of Silverwolf Rabbitry.

I found two more kinds of pellets i can get within ten miles ,, Nutrena for 16.49 ,not sure which formula that is,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and palouse brand 16 dollars, 16 percent. state chemist report said its really 14.2 percent. cant find anything else about palouse online.

Nutrena is supposed to be good, saw it at a show, but never heard of anyone feeding it here.

OneAcreFarm":1ocim6vw said:
X-Cel makes two different protein content pellets; located in Tacoma, supplier to several feed stores.There's a feed mill up in Conway (Conway Feeds?) that has a couple of formulations too, one of them 21% protein. There are at least two buyer's clubs that get Pfau's in by the ton regularly, but I don't have contact info for them; ask Carrie Thompson of Silverwolf Rabbitry.
We use Xcel and we are haveing a problem with it plus there is corn in it

Small World brand feed is made by Mannapro. It is corn-free and has a good calcium to phosphorous ratio, but I find it's too low in protein for my rabbits at 16%. Both our satins and our mini satins lost condition when we tried it.

Shiny

shinysatins":39idx2dj said:
Small World brand feed is made by Mannapro. It is corn-free and has a good calcium to phosphorous ratio

Yes I did notice that, and it contains yucca. since I use MannaPro, that's probably why I found no real difference when I used it (a large bag came with some rabbits I took in). The MannaPro I get from TSC is 16%, I've never tried the 18% Pro formula, maybe I should?

skysthelimit":29u0nppt said:
shinysatins":29u0nppt said:
Small World brand feed is made by Mannapro. It is corn-free and has a good calcium to phosphorous ratio

Yes I did notice that, and it contains yucca. since I use MannaPro, that's probably why I found no real difference when I used it (a large bag came with some rabbits I took in). The MannaPro I get from TSC is 16%, I've never tried the 18% Pro formula, maybe I should?

Their 18% feed is the Gro Formula, and it's designed for does and nursing litters, as well as bunnies under 4 months of age. It's not as complete or balanced a product as their Sho formula.

well walmart sells what americans want to buy. The small world brand pellets they sell are made by Manna Pro right here in the good old usa. Im not saying the pellets of any company are good or bad, but if you trust Manna Pro to stand behind their word of never cutting quality on any of their feed. Then the walmart pellets should be fine. I read somewhere that Manna Pros name is not used for the name because walmart was selling below the suggested prices set up by manna pro for their retailers. Because walmart buys in such large volume, they can aford to cut the cost to consumers. Manna Pros other retailers would not like it if walmart was selling the same label for cheaper than they can.

Back