I'm building 4ftx4ft hanging wire cages for my rabbits. Has anyone ever tried this? What would be the downsides?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've kept my rabbits in 36x30 cages for a few years. I don't think they are happy with the size. I want more space while the babies are growing after leaving the nesting box, too. What are the possible downsides to this? How could I strengthen the cages if I need to. I'm using 1/2in x 1in welded wire floor and ceilings with 1/2in hardware cloth on the sides. And dividers with galvanized solid steel dividers 18in from the floor and 18in 1/2in hardware cloth the rest of the way up. The cages themselves are 3 continuous cages instead of 3 individual. So, the whole cage is 4ft x 12 ft with two dividers. Thanks for any help!
I think longer and narrower would work better.longer would allow them to hop a little, shallower will let you reach easier. Think I read the standard in Europe is at least 6 feet long. Maybe our friends there can verify.

I've kept my rabbits in 36x30 cages for a few years. I don't think they are happy with the size. I want more space while the babies are growing after leaving the nesting box, too. What are the possible downsides to this? How could I strengthen the cages if I need to. I'm using 1/2in x 1in welded wire floor and ceilings with 1/2in hardware cloth on the sides. And dividers with galvanized solid steel dividers 18in from the floor and 18in 1/2in hardware cloth the rest of the way up. The cages themselves are 3 continuous cages instead of 3 individual. So, the whole cage is 4ft x 12 ft with two dividers. Thanks for any help!
The cage can be as long as you want (as long as you have enough access doors) but I wouldn't ever have cages that were deeper than 30 inches. If you have a rabbit that doesn't want to be caught you'll be trying to crawl in a 4ft deep cage to get it. I have 30" deep X 48" wide grow out cages and they have two doors on them to make it easier to corral the little darlings.

Yeah, I am definitely going to use the same watering system as you. I have water bottles now. But I have to clean them with bleach twice a year, and during the summer I have to clean them with a sponge brush. Black water lines are the way to go. Do you have a link to where you obtained your equipment? I appreciate all of your help.
I got my black 5/16 tubing and 5/16 rabbit watering nipples on amazon. I got some crappy nipples first and went back and got some better ones no more problems. I had and old 5gal. water jug (cooler) on one side of barn and a 7 gal old square cooler for the other side of barn where the grow outs live. With 17 grow outs and 3 adult
breeders on that side they use about 2-3 gal of water a day, I cool gallon jugs in refrigerator and fill the coolers once a day. My other two breeder does drink about 1/2 gal. / day with no kits. with kits 2-21/2 gal while weaning kits before they go to Day Camp.
I can get the info on the ones I ordered and DM you if you wish.

I have several rabbits that chewed through the zip ties as well. I love the convenience of the plastic ties, but they just don't work for all the rabbits. I've worked with pens at a friend's house that needed sticks to round up the bunnies due to the depth. It made the bunnies afraid of being handled. Being able to reach in gently and pick them up so they feel securely held is important.
there is such a thing as stainless steel zip ties! game changer for me. Check amazon.

Back