Silver fox advice...more..haha (pics buried)

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Seems like we have a lot of fox people on here, which is really cool, because it's the breed I've fallen in love with.
Been through some troubles with them, as my first breed. I had people sell me mutts claiming they were foxes back when I didn't know a thing about rabbits.(culled) I've had a crazy neurotic doe that I paid more for then any other(grand champion lines), who went spastic every time she SAW a human being. (culled, because she kept injuring herself in terror when I was feeding her or replacing the water bottle)

I finally have gotten lucky, I think, and have a good pair of rabbits to work with.
AG fox lines like I've mentioned on the bucks side, and the doe has twin willows, I think, and cute buns, going back to mostly collins rabbits. He carries blue, REW and steel though.
and her dams a chocolate. I've heard something about there being an issue with newly introduced chocolate. I'd like to hear more about that. What's the issue, and when is considered newly introduced?

My kits are nice and clean with even silvering and no white spots at least, and I've had some excellent growth rates and dress outs. They are friendly and docile enough for my 5 year old to show. I haven't had the kits to any shows yet(except for 4-H), but I plan on attending some next summer.

I'm really interested in producing the best rabbits I can. Not just for show traits (since I primarily raise for meat), but for temperament and fecundity as well. I only have about 7 holes for permanent rabbits, and foxes very rare where I'm at. I personally only have the one pair, the nice buck they produced, and the new girl with no ped. (and a lovely litter that will be ready next week, mostly does, and nice looking , I think)

I guess I just wanted to start up a discussion about foxes in general. And what you guys thought of the steel and REW. Should I breed it out, or is it OK to sell rabbits that carry this? I have no problems telling breeders that these things have popped up when the buck was crossed with my mutts. (the REW foxes are on pedigree, I've read that they used those in the lines because of the growth their kits produced)

Also, I've recently picked up a little doe who has some white spots on her. She's unpedigreed and underweight due to being a pasture rabbit. But has a wonderful plush coat and cuddly fox temperament, she came from a large litter.(my current doe only seems to be able to give me 6) I'm pretty sure the parents were from Ohio.
Should I even risk seeing what she throws? My first plan is to cross her with my mutt buck to turn up hidden recessives (he's an agouti who carries dilute, chocolate, and rew, it should turn up steel as well). After that. who knows? Is a more or less genetically clean fox with white spots better than one that looks better but carries rew and steel? My understanding is that most breeders won't know if their foxes have steel unless they just happened too cross to an agouti for meat mutts. I'm willing to place bets on the fact that there are lots of breeders of fox right now who have no clue their rabbits have steel.

Also, for those who have white spots on their foxes, when do the white spots show up? I mean, can you see them in the nestbox, or would I have to watch for them later. I'd hate to sell a rabbit at 8 weeks, only to have the buyer call me back later and ask where the white came from.

What should I sell such rabbits for? I have NO problems with sending most of what I produce to freezer camp, but I'd hate to destroy all of these rabbits when it was so hard, and took so long for ME to find silver fox of at least this quality.
It's all a rather big deal to me, since silver fox are so rare and tend to go for about $50 each, and I want to make darn sure I'm selling foxes that are actually worth that before sticking that kind of price tag on a bunny.

Back