Showing Doe with Babies.

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Graceful Rabbitry

gracefulrabbits
Reaction score
So, I have a doe that should kindle tomorrow or the next day. I have been wanting to show her again, since I’ve only shown her as a very young Junior. The show is December 15th. Would she be okay to go? It’s a late show, we would leave at 2:30 and the show starts a 7:00 pm. It’s just 3 specialties so I don’t think it will last long, and we will drive 3 hours back home after it’s over. Would that stress her out to much to leave her babies for that long?

So, I have a doe that should kindle tomorrow or the next day. I have been wanting to show her again, since I’ve only shown her as a very young Junior. The show is December 15th. Would she be okay to go? It’s a late show, we would leave at 2:30 and the show starts a 7:00 pm. It’s just 3 specialties so I don’t think it will last long, and we will drive 3 hours back home after it’s over. Would that stress her out to much to leave her babies for that long?
The doe probably won't miss the kits one bit - more like a vacation, probably, since they'll be coming out of the box looking for second breakfasts by that age. 😆

However, my hesitation to show her at that point would be twofold. First, she might bring something back that the kits could be susceptible to; she'll potentially be exposed to many illnesses and parasites as she sits in the judging coop and in a room with many other rabbits. The kits' immune systems are still developing at three weeks, and I tend to not want to rock the boat, especially if it's an important litter. And yes, the travel and the show might be stressful for her too, especially since she's not an old show hand.

The other reason is that putting a lactating doe on the judging table is seen by some judges as, um, maybe you'd say a tiny bit rude or tacky? They probably won't toss the rabbit off the table, but my expectation would be that it would at least get a comment, if only a humorous one.

However, my friends and I have all shown lactating does, to make a full class so that the winning rabbit will get a G.C. leg. So, I'm not opposed to it in theory. I just factor in the risks and benefits before making the call to show or not.

The doe probably won't miss the kits one bit - more like a vacation, probably, since they'll be coming out of the box looking for second breakfasts by that age. 😆

However, my hesitation to show her at that point would be twofold. First, she might bring something back that the kits could be susceptible to; she'll potentially be exposed to many illnesses and parasites as she sits in the judging coop and in a room with many other rabbits. The kits' immune systems are still developing at three weeks, and I tend to not want to rock the boat, especially if it's an important litter. And yes, the travel and the show might be stressful for her too, especially since she's not an old show hand.

The other reason is that putting a lactating doe on the judging table is seen by some judges as, um, maybe you'd say a tiny bit rude or tacky? They probably won't toss the rabbit off the table, but my expectation would be that it would at least get a comment, if only a humorous one.

However, my friends and I have all shown lactating does, to make a full class so that the winning rabbit will get a G.C. leg. So, I'm not opposed to it in theory. I just factor in the risks and benefits before making the call to show or not.
Okay, thank you!! Yeah, I’m leaning towards not bringing her, especially for just a specialty show. I was mostly just curious. Thank you, for explaining everything.

Having the judge comment "oh mamma where are your babies" was all that has happened to me. But she had been weaned for quite a while! So... yea it is frowned upon. We are not supposed to let the judge know who we are so defending myself saying her kits were weaned 2 weaks ago was not an option. That day still sticks in my head though
.Must be thin skinned.... no sore hocks though :)

Latest posts

Back