Runny nose, should I be worried?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Racingjunky

Reaction score
It's really hot in Kansas today, so I put a fan on my rabbits. I checked on them after about 4 hours and found this yellow snot and matted fur around momma's nose. Should I be worried?

Attachments

• rabbitsnot3.jpg
    rabbitsnot3.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 383
That doesn't look like snot to me- more like she rubbed on a dirty part of the cage or brick. She has a similar spot on her body.

Look at the inner surfaces of her front legs- if the fur is matted there you have a problem.

I saw her rubbing her nose with both front feet. She acts fine other than that. The picture doesn't make it look as bad as it really does. I hope it was just the fan?

Racingjunky":ar59zmv5 said:
I saw her rubbing her nose with both front feet.

Rabbits clean their faces that way, even when they are not ill.

Racingjunky":ar59zmv5 said:
The picture doesn't make it look as bad as it really does.

I don't see any evidence of snot or staining right around her nostrils. I only see staining on the bridge of her nose and the side of her face.

My gut feeling is that she is fine, but the pictures could be misleading as you said.

MamaSheepdog":34dmen0v said:
Racingjunky":34dmen0v said:
I saw her rubbing her nose with both front feet.

Rabbits clean their faces that way, even when they are not ill.
Mine do it all the time. It's particularly funny to watch the little kits try it. They get up on their haunches, go in for a swipe, then fall over into a ball of cuddly.

I've noticed my NZWs do it more on hotter days. I think it might be the rabbit equivalent of shaking out long hair to relieve some humidity on the skin.

All rabbits clean their faces, they also lower an ear, grab it with their paws and wipe it and/or lick it.

I see a wet chin and wet left foot, I'd be watching the mom for snot and heat stress.
Fan should blow past, not on them.

ChickiesnBunnies":3340ooao said:
All rabbits clean their faces, they also lower an ear, grab it with their paws and wipe it and/or lick it.

I see a wet chin and wet left foot, I'd be watching the mom for snot and heat stress.
Really? Clarify a little on why, please? I have a fan set up that blows almost-directly at the hanging cages from ~4 feet away. The doe nearest loves it. She'll fan her face, then turn around and lift her butt to fan that. :shock:

RJSchaefer":37hfr1zr said:
ChickiesnBunnies":37hfr1zr said:

Really? Clarify a little on why, please? I have a fan set up that blows almost-directly at the hanging cages from ~4 feet away. The doe nearest loves it. She'll fan her face, then turn around and lift her butt to fan that. :shock:
Air currents can get any animal sick including humans.
The fan should blow above the cages to move warmed air out.
Respiratory and eye issues can arise from air currents.

Back