quick question about 4H rabbits

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChopSuey

Reaction score
When do most people buy rabbits for 4H projects? Just wondering so I know when to put out an ad if I have corresponding litters. It has been a good year as far as rabbit sales go so far but I would not mind putting a little more money in the rabbits account to help them pay for themselves :) Thanks all!

Think about early spring, late February to early April just before shows start popping up. That's when most of my 4-H kids got their rabbits, right before the first show in April.

Also put up paper ads at local feed stores and the feed elevator, places that the kiddos go :)

I think it depends a little bit on the town or county you are in.
In my county the youth must own their rabbits at least
6 months prior to showing at the youth-fair.
I believe this is so the P T B know that they have been taking care of their entry.
It is frowned on to purchase any rabbit just prior to showing at the fair.
I would have rabbits for sale year-round.
There is no such thing as a 4H rabbit! You want to provide 4Hers with
the best possible rabbit they can afford.
This is why most reputable breeders sell at a cut price to 4Hers.
As always, JMPO.
Ottersatin. :eek:ldtimer:

ottersatin":8a0spc9z said:
There is no such thing as a 4H rabbit! You want to provide 4Hers with
the best possible rabbit they can afford.
This is why most reputable breeders sell at a cut price to 4Hers.
As always, JMPO.
Ottersatin. :eek:ldtimer:

I understand what Ottersatin is saying here, don't stiff the kids.

But in some places, the 4-H operations are very limited and small potatoes and will even allow exhibition of non-pedigreed mutts--they put pet cats in cages and decorate the cage like a diorama here. You can show a turtle here!

In that case, while I wouldn't sell any DQ culls, I would think selling breeder quality critters would likely be just as good as anything else at the fair. Even if a serious breeder isn't interested yet...because they are a work in progress.

Oh , I certainly wasn't looking to gouge the kids. I just have enough meet in the freezer and thought even if I could put a small amount of money from the sale of a litter towards pellets and hay it would be nice. So far most people I have sold to have been people either just getting started in a backyard meat operation or other breeders who just want some new blood. Showing turtles would be adorable ;)

Im selling bunnies for 4H now untill May 1 which is when most kids have too have there project animal.this may be a different date where you live.

I would call your county extension office and ask them. I think it is different depending on when the fair is and if they are showing show rabbits or meat pen. Let them know the breed and prices of the rabbits too that way if someone is looking for them they have the info. :)

I think calling the extension office would be best. Some fairs have age limits on meat pens. Our local fair has no age or breed restrictions except that the kid has to own the rabbit 30 days before the fair. The next county over the meat rabbits must be 65-70 days old and a NZW or Cali. There are other classes for the other ages/breeds.

Latest posts

Back