Question For The Experts

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know you're just funnin', but...

It's easier than that. After preparing and eating your rabbit, collect the bones in a baggie in your freezer until the baggie is full. Throw all the bones (& the heads, if you dare & you've skinned & saved them) into the crockpot with a few roughly chopped veggies (brassicas not recommended for this purpose), add a splash of vinegar to release the minerals from the bones and slow-cook for half a day or so. You now have delicious, nutritious bone broth.

Fun Fact: You can live healthily off any excess body fat you may have accumulated until it's used up. All you need is a multi-vitamin or two a day (and ideally, the supervision of a competent doctor... if you can find one).
Well... if I can live off the excess fat I've accumulated, I should be able to hold out for several decades.
As for... "What's for dinner Mom?"
"Crock pot rabbit head!"
That's still a big "nope" from me... I'm leaving town!
However... If in-laws decide on another, uninvited, extended visit... I know precisely what's on the menu!

I know you're just funnin', but...

It's easier than that. After preparing and eating your rabbit, collect the bones in a baggie in your freezer until the baggie is full. Throw all the bones (& the heads, if you dare & you've skinned & saved them) into the crockpot with a few roughly chopped veggies (brassicas not recommended for this purpose), add a splash of vinegar to release the minerals from the bones and slow-cook for half a day or so. You now have delicious, nutritious bone broth.

Fun Fact: You can live healthily off any excess body fat you may have accumulated until it's used up. All you need is a multi-vitamin or two a day (and ideally, the supervision of a competent doctor... if you can find one).
I doubt very strongly that any of us are going to starve anytime soon from eating rabbit, caribou or grouse. Our diets have other foods in them.

However if you are just the muscle meat from the above animals you would get protein starvation.

1690136748561.png

I doubt very strongly that any of us are going to starve anytime soon from eating rabbit, caribou or grouse. Our diets have other foods in them.

However if you are just the muscle meat from the above animals you would get protein starvation.

View attachment 36573
This is really amazing.
I've been around since GOD was a little kid AND I really do know it all... but I've never heard of this before.
This is the best forum ever! Obviously time to make another donation so it continues.

The only actual story I heard about that was the one of the real world Moby Dick incident, what was the ships name, Exeter? Doesn't matter, bottom line is that other starved men in your boat are not good survival food....
Kinda changes the meaning of... "having friends for dinner."

Rabbit meat could easily be classified as a health-food.
As for the commercial end, expenses Vs yield, I'm guessing the cost would be similar to raising poultry, but the yield is greater, labor is less and there are byproducts that could also provide profit.
I'm so old that I can remember crawling out of the ocean & growing legs. Bottom line, I've been here for a very long time. Yet, I've never seen rabbit meat available in grocery stores or restaurants. Why?
Adding to the mystery... chickens are disgusting! They eat ANYTHING, including their own waste and other chickens. Yet they are considered "the healthier" option compared to beef & other meats. Chicken remains a very popular food. Why?
I openly admit that I know very little about rabbits but the little I do know, I'd happily consume rabbit meat long before other common options.
I sell my meat rabbits to Restaurants in Milwaukee. City people love it.

Live rabbits for meat, pedigreed rabbits, unrelated pairs/trios...pets
Meat....
Organs ($17/oz)...
Pelts (tanned or not)
Ears/heads/feet/blood for dog treats
Droppings for fertilizer
Urine for insecticide/lure
I am probably forgetting something!
There is no waste about rabbits. Every bit can be used or sold. Everything that is thrown away, is....a shame!
You have it all. My dogs and even the cat loves slaughter time. An the ol'man is slowly getting a pair of rabbit fur pants for winter

Rabbit meat is supposedly so lean that you can starve to death eating it every day. This was probably potentially true if you were eating wild rabbits in the dead of winter when they were also starving and you were burning tens of thousands of calories a day keeping warm and working physically hard. It would be difficult to envision a situation today in which this would have any bearing on our dietary needs.
Rabbit meat needs to be supplemented with a bit of other animal fat, as it can cause brain starvation. Or at least that is what I have been told.

I so agree with you! I have 6 adults, and 24 grow outs, 11 pullets, 5 layers. The poultry takes 10 minutes, but the rabbits take 1-2 hours if all the litter needs changing. I am ready to butcher but it's too hot. Next year will be different. (Famous last words).
I have a small production of 5 rabbits, 25 chickens and seriously The rabbits are easier to clean up after in my opinion

Rabbit meat needs to be supplemented with a bit of other animal fat, as it can cause brain starvation. Or at least that is what I have been told.
The deep-dive that I've read is essentially that rabbits (that aren't themselves, starving) can provide the fat humans need to stay healthy. It's best though, to use all the fat the rabbit carcass has to offer, including the brain and the bone marrow. I use chicken bones & heads in bone broth (be sure to add a small glug of vinegar to allow the important minerals to leach from the bones.) I'll be doing the same with rabbits.

Rabbits are SO much easier to process, btw. The only advantage chickens have over rabbits imo is their ability to lay eggs.

Latest posts

Back