Question For The Experts

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Plus there is plentiful fat in the bone marrow, brain, and organs. If someone dies of starvation when these nutrients are clearly available, they must've been wasting these precious parts while slowly starving, which is not something humans (or any beings) do. There might have been one very logically-challenged person, or just plain squeamish about eating non-muscle meat (even somehow when starving), but I just can't fathom that level of self-annihilation. If these persons ever existed, maybe it's just nature's way that they passed on. If it wasn't rabbit starvation, it would've been something else.
I suspect that's true. If so, I'll be one of the first to die.
I'm not eating brains, guts or gnawing on bones when there is plenty of muscle available.
I've been around almost forever & been witness to people eating things I couldn't keep down if I tried.
I'm pretty tough too. Once upon a time I ate a truck-stop hotdog... (the kind spinning around on that metal rack thing cooking for weeks) and survived!
It was over a bet so unlike life or death starvation, I had no other choice. Consider it a guy thing.
Bottom line, I don't eat fish heads, monkey parts etc.

Plus there is plentiful fat in the bone marrow, brain, and organs. If someone dies of starvation when these nutrients are clearly available, they must've been wasting these precious parts while slowly starving, which is not something humans (or any beings) do. There might have been one very logically-challenged person, or just plain squeamish about eating non-muscle meat (even somehow when starving), but I just can't fathom that level of self-annihilation. If these persons ever existed, maybe it's just nature's way that they passed on. If it wasn't rabbit starvation, it would've been something else.
Exactly we don’t just eat rabbit muscle meat in our Mordor diet. We cook it in fat and have other stuff with it.
However rabbit, caribou and grouse all have low fat content and in the old days one could starve with a full belly. That’s why those meats were traditionally eaten with fat or lard.

While reading that I could hear the song by Peter, Paul & Mary playing softly in the background...
"The ants are my friends, they're blowin' in the wind..."
Peter Paul and Mary song I think your lyrics are off lol.
How many times can a man turn his head
And pretend that he just doesn't see?
The answer, my friend, is blowing in the wind
The answer is blowing in the wind

Unless you were joking of course?

Excellent job of editing. If I didn't know better, I'd say it was real.
So I edited the lyrics and video? Oh boy, I think your ants are blowing in the wind that’s for certain.

Bahahahahahahahaha
I would love to hear you sing that song , your version is “The Ants are my friends and there blowing in the wind hahahahahahahaha!

So I edited the lyrics and video? Oh boy, I think your ants are blowing in the wind that’s for certain.

Bahahahahahahahaha
I would love to hear you sing that song , your version is “The Ants are my friends and there blowing in the wind hahahahahahahaha!
I could also sing CCR's Bad Moon Rising... "Don't go out tonight, there's a bathroom on the right."

I could also sing CCR's Bad Moon Rising... "Don't go out tonight, there's a bathroom on the right."
How about "Slow-talking Walter, fire in the sty..." by Deep Purple.
And my all-time favorite, Cat Stevens' Morning has broken, with the "praise for the sweetness of the wet garbage..."
Sounds like a compilation album is in the offing...

Only a dutch children's song (although direct translation funtion on yt is horrible)
Sweet little bunny had a fly on it's nose
and it buzzed back and forth

How about "Slow-talking Walter, fire in the sty..." by Deep Purple.
And my all-time favorite, Cat Stevens' Morning has broken, with the "praise for the sweetness of the wet garbage..."
Sounds like a compilation album is in the offing.
The Monkeys, Daydream Believer...
"Then I saw her face... now I'm gonna leave her."
😉
Ok Weird Al

Rabbits are more work, the yield is lower, and even sheep farmers have problems selling the wool nowadays. You can't keep them as cramped as chickens, mechanising everything wouldn't be easy, and they do not eat everything. There simply is no incentive to scale rabbit farming up a lot. There is more profit with other animals.

Rabbit meat is very healthy, people who have problems with other meats often can still eat rabbit. It's very lean - and that might contribute to it not being popular, fat just tastes great. Also rabbits have the stigma of a poor peoples food, like, most would need to by chicken feed, but you can feed rabbits with forage gathered everywhere, for free.
When I was a kid rabbit was the meat on my grandparents sunday table, buying meat was a rare luxury thing. that changed when meat was produced on industrial scale, with all those helpful chamicals. Chickens were primarily kept for the eggs.

That's why it's important to keep those traditions alive, we might bitterly need it again, oil will run out, war is raging again just a few hundred km away, and a lot of what humanity is doing right now looks like a Ponzi scheme, some day of reckoning is due, maybe not during my lifetime, but we can't go ahaed like that forever.

I gather most forage with a basket and scythe, mowing along paths and places that aren't used by farmers, small spots and the banks of the brook. I also keep the grass low around small trees an a christmas tree plot. All stuff npoone else would use.
I so agree with you! I have 6 adults, and 24 grow outs, 11 pullets, 5 layers. The poultry takes 10 minutes, but the rabbits take 1-2 hours if all the litter needs changing. I am ready to butcher but it's too hot. Next year will be different. (Famous last words).

I so agree with you! I have 6 adults, and 24 grow outs, 11 pullets, 5 layers. The poultry takes 10 minutes, but the rabbits take 1-2 hours if all the litter needs changing. I am ready to butcher but it's too hot. Next year will be different. (Famous last words).
Even farming requires effort.

I suspect that's true. If so, I'll be one of the first to die.
I'm not eating brains, guts or gnawing on bones when there is plenty of muscle available.
I've been around almost forever & been witness to people eating things I couldn't keep down if I tried.
I'm pretty tough too. Once upon a time I ate a truck-stop hotdog... (the kind spinning around on that metal rack thing cooking for weeks) and survived!
It was over a bet so unlike life or death starvation, I had no other choice. Consider it a guy thing.
Bottom line, I don't eat fish heads, monkey parts etc.
I know you're just funnin', but...

It's easier than that. After preparing and eating your rabbit, collect the bones in a baggie in your freezer until the baggie is full. Throw all the bones (& the heads, if you dare & you've skinned & saved them) into the crockpot with a few roughly chopped veggies (brassicas not recommended for this purpose), add a splash of vinegar to release the minerals from the bones and slow-cook for half a day or so. You now have delicious, nutritious bone broth.

Fun Fact: You can live healthily off any excess body fat you may have accumulated until it's used up. All you need is a multi-vitamin or two a day (and ideally, the supervision of a competent doctor... if you can find one).

Latest posts

Back