Question about rabbit pricing

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sommrluv

Reaction score
I've been talking to someone about buying their rabbitry contents. I'm unsure of the pricing they have but it seems somewhat reasonable to me. It's a little buck heavy for my purposes however. I'm also taking into account I would need to buy cages for this size rabbit.

Two purebred New Zealands. (papered) (pair)
Three New Zealand/Flemish Giant crosses. (trio)
One New Zealand cross doe.
One Flemish Giant doe. Light gray, papered.
One Flemish Giant buck, steel gray, papered.

They are asking $250. Too high?

hm... i'm new to rabbits as well but just thinking about it real quick here that is 8 rabbits. 250 divided by 8, thats only like $31 per rabbit. which from the ads around my area seem to be average. hopefully someone with more knowledge then me will chime in :) good luck!

Crosses here don't go for more than $10 so those would only get you about $40 here. Pedigreed can range from $20-$40 on average with some up in the $100s so that entirely depends on quality. Personally here I would expect something closer to $150 unless the pedigreed rabbits are really good show quality or the flemish crosses show really good meat characteristics.

First gen giant breed crosses tend not to be good meat rabbits because the flemish and other giants have higher bone density and lower meat quantity giving you less meat for the weight, mature slowly, and eat a ton making them near useless as meat rabbits and they sell poorly as pet rabbits. If you want meat rabbits what you need is to take the best of the first gen crosses and cross back to a meat breed again so back to the new zealands and not out to flemish. If you aren't looking for meat the crosses won't gain you much of anything since no show breeder will buy them and most pet people want either the small rabbits or the purebred giants. Not the commercial type crosses like new zealand and californian.

The pedigreed flemish would mostly only be good for show or pet production and to be worth it would need to be good quality show rabbits to make that price.

Around where I live Flemish giants range in price from $50-$200 New Zealands around $30, and mixes around $5-$10

Okay-- I Live on the Ohio /PA border-- easy access to several Livestock auctions-- when pricing animals, ask what the 'mixed' breeds would bring at auction-- typically, Less than 5 dollars. One also needs to consider the age of each animal-- what is the potential production from it-- can costs be recovered? I saw a pair of Checkered Giants go for ONLY 10 each-- they were thin--I Paid 400 dollars for my first group of AmChins-- but I got 27 rabbits, several with legs-- And a bunch of cages and carriers, as well. Oh, the guy also gave me all the ribbons, trophies, etc...

She also had 8 mini-rex and wanted $450 if I got everything.

I'm glad I asked...I started to realize if I went to shows, livestock auctions, etc...I could probably get the same amount of rabbits, minus the extra bucks ('extra' for my uses) and pay less. I wonder how she would react if I made her a lower offer that would also include cages? She's had several interested buyers, but no one serious or that will reply to her and she's tired of waiting.

sommrluv":373xhy4g said:
She also had 8 mini-rex and wanted $450 if I got everything.

I'm glad I asked...I started to realize if I went to shows, livestock auctions, etc...I could probably get the same amount of rabbits, minus the extra bucks ('extra' for my uses) and pay less. I wonder how she would react if I made her a lower offer that would also include cages? She's had several interested buyers, but no one serious or that will reply to her and she's tired of waiting.

It is because she is asking too much.

Two purebred New Zealands. (papered) (pair)
Papered doesn't always mean "quality", I would offer $20 each

Three New Zealand/Flemish Giant crosses.
One New Zealand cross doe. (trio)

Mixed breed, $5-$10 each

One Flemish Giant doe. Light gray, papered.
One Flemish Giant buck, steel gray, papered.

Again, what is the quality? I would offer $30-$50 each

I would offer her $150-175 for this first group

She also had 8 mini-rex
Are they pedigreed? Do they fit the SOP? What is their condition/quality/age etc?

Back