Picture candy

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Secuono

Reaction score
Well, it's about to be in the 90s here! Decided to go out to find that mint plant I haven't IDed yet, but on the way I ended up taking lots of pictures, again!

Hope you guys enjoy them!
Also, if you know what the mystery plants are, share with us! Some are common, like the Dandelion, others are micro flowers! And yet others are the very annoying and much hated thorns! But they are flowering now and look awfully pretty!

upppp.jpg

f9.jpg

vinethrn.jpg

f6.jpg

f0.jpg

f5.jpg

rp.jpg

ptr.jpg

Dandelion
dande.jpg

dan.jpg

roo.jpg

5 red, minty
mintr1.jpg

mintr.jpg

f22.jpg

f11.jpg

7, White Clover
f4.jpg

puppp.jpg

f8.jpg

9, Honeysuckle
f7.jpg

puppers.jpg

10 green, minty
mint3.jpg

mint.jpg

mint1.jpg

11, Shepherds Purse [?]
f33.jpg

12, Clover
f2.jpg

pup.jpg

Pond Iris
f1.jpg

13, Clover
f3.jpg

14, possibly Alsike Clover
f44.jpg

birdpup.jpg

puup.jpg

Nice photos... but I wish you had numbered them to make it easier to reply.

I saw goatsbeard, white clover, shepherd's purse, blue-eyed grass, red clover, honeysuckle among the many pictures.

What's the scientific name for the goatsbeard? Cus what Google is showing me for the common name is 100% not what I have out there.

Lastfling":1tcmq4u8 said:
Multiflora Rose - #1. Thorns from *ell!

To have a name for this devil plant...
Hate Multiflora rose, this stuff grows in such crazy ways! I have one plant that's grown like a vine over and all in a 1.5 story tall tree and a stand alone brush at the same time, 2in plus thick trunks. Took forever to hack at it and get most of it out.

If it is Blue-eyed grass, that's great. Love those tiny blue flowers, but you can only appreciate it up close or with a picture! 1 cm for a flower is so small, but some of the others are 2-3 mm. I need to get my macro kit out and re-take some of the flower pics!<br /><br />__________ Wed May 29, 2013 9:20 am __________<br /><br />Can Honeysuckle be used on rabbits for similar issues?

Honeysuckle is used for digestive disorders including pain and swelling (inflammation) of the small intestine (enteritis) and dysentery; upper respiratory tract infections including colds, influenza, swine flu, and pneumonia; other viral and bacterial infections; swelling of the brain (encephalitis); fever; boils; and sores. Honeysuckle is also used for urinary disorders, headache, diabetes, rheumatoid arthritis, and cancer. Some people use it to promote sweating, as a laxative, to counteract poisoning, and for birth control.

I'm glad you questioned that, CnB. It's yet another case of the common names applying to more than one plant. The plant I meant is Tragopogon pratensis. I feed it to my rabbits. But since your picture really only shows the seed head, it would be a good idea for you to confirm it's ID using the Latin name.

http://www.luontoportti.com/suomi/en/ku ... oats-beard

ladysown":2c759t53 said:
you can roses to rabbits though can't you??? ergo making that rose a useful plant to have around....

Death thorns? None of the animals I have nor I will touch the stuff, I only touch it with my long handle loppers! We've all gotten stuck and cut our legs up too much on it to ever agree to reuse it. Far too much trouble to feed to rabbits. I hate every plant with thorns! Those thorns remain sharp and stiff for years after the plant dies or the branch is chopped up and left on the ground.<br /><br />__________ Wed May 29, 2013 1:11 pm __________<br /><br />
MaggieJ":2c759t53 said:
I'm glad you questioned that, CnB. It's yet another case of the common names applying to more than one plant. The plant I meant is Tragopogon pratensis. I feed it to my rabbits. But since your picture really only shows the seed head, it would be a good idea for you to confirm it's ID using the Latin name.

http://www.luontoportti.com/suomi/en/ku ... oats-beard

Gah, there's more plants that look like Dandelion?! Terrible!
But nope, the flower looks similar, but the rest of the plant isn't the same. The two pictures are of true Dandelion, not the false dandelion nor the goats beard. I've never seen goats beard anywhere before.

hmm... I have a rather aggressive rose at my place here and feed the buns it all the time. They gobble it up as quickly as can be. They have no issues with the thorns either. I just put on some rose gloves and cut it into 12 inch pieces.

:yeahthat:

Mine LOVE rose leaves, the stems, the flowers, the whole thing. I think, after blackberry leaves, that roses are their favorite.

Demamma":2vizkwm6 said:
Number 7 is a Chicken.
:lol:

ChickiesnBunnies":2vizkwm6 said:
Death thorns? None of the animals I have nor I will touch the stuff
The bull thistles I feed the rabbits are covered with spikes, sometimes up to 2" long. They love the stuff!

I am not familiar with Multiflora Rose, though.

Well, good you guys. Come out here and chop up the thorny messes and take them home. I don't want to be bleeding and cursing over them any more than I have to. Plus, there's more than enough greens under their feet that they can't even keep up with!

The formal name for the plant is Rosa Multiflora. Another way of looking at it, is Kudzu with thorns!

This is from the Virginia Tech website "An invasive bush that can form large thickets, especially along fencerows or in pastures and hay fields. Multiflora rose was introduced from eastern Asia in the 1800’s as an ornamental shrub, and was later promoted for planting as a wildlife food and ‘living fence’ for cattle in the United States. Today, multiflora rose occurs throughout the United States and is especially troublesome in pastures, hay fields, and fencerows in the western half of Virginia."

We have a bunch of the mess around here also, and it is a pain in more ways than one. In additions, birds spread the seed and it pops up everywhere. If you let it go you're going to have a mess and a lot of pain with associated blood letting getting rid of it. The way it grows up into bushes and trees which provide support for the canes, you would almost think it was a vine. Those who want it, as CNB says, are more than welcome. :mrgreen:

Yup, some states have listed it an invasive plant.

I try to hack sections out very early spring or very late fall. But we bought the house 2yrs ago and the people didn't really care about the house, let alone the pasture and fence maintenance. Made my job very hard! I finally have pasture growing and not over 50% weeds! First year the weeds took over and ended up 4ft tall!!!

We call that rose Cherokee rose here in SC I :twisted: do believe..thorns from hell and it takes over climbing all over and up high into my pines even!

Latest posts

Back