Pedigreed Names.

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skyrocket

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
If I buy pedigreed rabbits and they have a name like "X’s Prince Charming" can I change it on the pedigree and does it have to be "X’s" or can I change it to My rabbitry name?

For example, The NZ REW doe I bought recently. The pedigree given to me lists her as "Sugar Plum's Charm Girl"
Due to the messy nature of this printed then filled out by hand pedigree (the breeder's hand-writing is atrocious) and the ink switching from black to blue, I am going to file these but want to write out my own "Clean" copy with legible handwriting, no misspellings or mislabeling and one colour of ink.

Basically all I'm going to do is take the pedigree for the three rabbits I bought from her and fill out a "Skyrocket Rabbitry" pedigree using the same information on the original.

Does the rabbit in question have to remain "Sugar Plum's Charm Girl" or can I give her a much more suited name Like "Skyrocket's Governor's Daughter" ? Or would she have to be "Sugar Plum's Governor's Daughter?"

I know with dogs, you use the name of the Kennel they came from in the pedigree. Like if you had a dog from a kennel called "Detroit Rock City Kennels" you'd typically register the dog as "Detroit Rock City's (Insert Name Here)" or "DRC's (Insert Name Here)". Since you don't have to register rabbits the way you do canines does it have to remain the same rabbitry name or can I change it?

I hope that actually makes some sense.

:bunnyhop:

You should keep the name as is on the pedigree. When you have kits out of the rabbits, then you use your own rabbitry name.

You could contact the breeder and ask if they mind if you change the "call name", but I would definitely use their rabbitry prefix.

MamaSheepdog":3hnbh762 said:
You should keep the name as is on the pedigree. When you have kits out of the rabbits, then you use your own rabbitry name.

You could contact the breeder and ask if they mind if you change the "call name", but I would definitely use their rabbitry prefix.
Okay. Never had to deal with rabbit pedigrees before and she seemed a little careless as to what I did with them (which is weird, imho) but sounds good. I just don't quite care for the names given and she never told me call names so I guess I get to pick those?

leave the name as she called them on the pedigree.

You can either add (in brackets) the call name behind their pedigree name. OR write their call name on the top of the pedigree.

Skyrocket":kesugx7b said:
I just don't quite care for the names given and she never told me call names so I guess I get to pick those?

Sure, call them whatever you like. Pedigree names aren't even used at shows. They are identified by ear tattoo not name.

MamaSheepdog":2z8okzle said:
Skyrocket":2z8okzle said:
I just don't quite care for the names given and she never told me call names so I guess I get to pick those?

Sure, call them whatever you like. Pedigree names aren't even used at shows. They are identified by ear tattoo not name.

Alright, I mean I honestly don't have plans right now to show. Initially I was going to breed them for 4H and pets and cross the buck to my meat doe for smaller, meatier buns.

ladysown":2z8okzle said:
leave the name as she called them on the pedigree.

You can either add (in brackets) the call name behind their pedigree name. OR write their call name on the top of the pedigree.

Sounds good.

So I have:
SugarPlum's Charm Girl - "Piper"
SugarPlum's Charming Prince - "Charles"
SugarPlum's Diamond -

SP's Diamond still needs a call name. She's a fussy, apprehensive little black doe with white on the bottoms of her feets

The pedigree names help keep track of where a rabbit was born. The ones born at your place would be "Skyrocket Rabbitry's" and the rabbits that were born at her place will always be "Sugarplum's".
I suppose, it doesn't matter at all unless you plan on selling them with their new pedigrees.

yup, where the rabbit is born dictates the prefix, very poor form to change it because which rabbitry it was born in matters and not who currently owns rabbit.

All rabbit's born on my farm have my prefix and I never change a bunnies name on the pedigree, call names are different like I have a rabbit named Blinker which i don't like and I call her Amelia, she still is named as Thatrabbittry's Blinker. I don't bother putting call names on the pedigree, it would look crowded as I already have name, weight, colour, ear number and sex.

Its not good to mess with pedigree information. Only a senior weight, registration number, grand champion number, wins, legs, or other needful helpful notes (like ear length or wool length) should be bothered. Changing names is a no no, even if that name is Jo Bob's 757340. Here's some thing else to think about, if you have a rabbit named Blue Saphire Diamond's Peper it is NOT the same as Blu Sapphire Diamondz Pepper even though when spoken allowed they may sound the same. In other words, unless its like (breed for bred or color for colr, etc.) don't change those things either. You can call the rabbit whatever you like at home, but its not going to change on their pedigree unless do like others suggested use () or {} or maybe even aka "whatevername".

I put all info as is into kintraks software. Then I file the actual pedigree. When printed off kintraks it does come out with my rabbitry info but the name put on the rabbits is the same. We then generally pick our own nicknames for the rabbits. Who cares what name is on the ped. You can call them whatever you like. 90% of horses are registered some weird name because you can't name the same horse twice going as far back as the start of the breed registry so every year there are 1000s less names available. No one uses the registered name outside of transferring ownership and proving breed or age at a show. My dog is even registered something different from what we call her. Kintraks has a spot for nicknames as well. I print out a kintraks copy with our rabbitry info and in computer print so it's easier to read and file that with the pedigree from the breeder. When showing or comparing bloodlines for a buyer I often use the kintraks copy because it's more legible. The only time the original pedigree comes out is if I sell that exact rabbit. That doesn't happen often. Most stuff that's come through us has been butchered when done breeding, kept until death, or sold without pedigree to a pet buyer. Most breeder pedigrees end up trash.

I agree with everyone here. I have a doe that's name is N's FireLight. Not a huge fan of the name, but since it would be considered poor form to change it, I just leave it. Although, I do call her Fiona around the rabbitry.

I must say, if I bred a rabbit and named it on a pedigree then sold that rabbit I would be very upset if I found out later that the purchaser had not only changed the name of the rabbit but changed the Rabbitry name, in essence taking the credit for and claiming that breeding as their own. To me it is insulting at least and deceitful at worst.

Schipperkesue":2kb5viyi said:
I must say, if I bred a rabbit and named it on a pedigree then sold that rabbit I would be very upset if I found out later that the purchaser had not only changed the name of the rabbit but changed the Rabbitry name, in essence taking the credit for and claiming that breeding as their own. To me it is insulting at least and deceitful at worst.

Which is exactly why I asked. I have no intentions of showing these rabbits, and no intentions of selling them I really and truly didn't even want their pedigrees, they're for my meat lines over anything. She insisted that I take their pedigrees, if I hadn't tough I wouldn't know the black doe isn't the purebred NZ she was sold to me as.

Half of the information on these rabbits is missing so they're hardly "complete" pedigrees. They're hastily filled out and not legible at all and I can say that I won't be dealing with this woman again. She claims to handle and show her rabbits but my meat buns are more calm and gentle then the three I've gotten from her.

Anyway, I asked because I wasn't sure. Now I know.
Thanks for the information. <br /><br /> -- Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:42 am -- <br /><br />
ladysown":2kb5viyi said:
starlight or starshine???

Those are great, but I went with Zircon.
:p She's hardly a "Diamond" so Zircon fits. Lol
Going to try to get photos of her today, she's still a rotten little beast and had escaped her pen while I was in Ohio for four days and their babysitter couldn't catch her because Zircon is a little devil and puts up a hell of a threatening front. She even hopped up the basement steps and scared her at the back door. :x

I was able to trap her, when I got home Sunday, in a cracked 90 gallon aquarium that was turned up and sitting on it's side. I "chased" her into it with the broom and wedged myself between the tank opening and the wall and grabbed her. She knew she was in trouble, even worse is she chewed the chord to our heat press! Luckily it was unplugged and didn't hurt her.

Back