Not new, but returning!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Added a tube to show water level!
Had a rabbit chew the tube and drain all of the water! Now I'll know when to refill just by a glance.
View attachment 35702

And Choco with her kits(2 blue, 1 choc) & 2 black fosters from Blackie.
View attachment 35704View attachment 35705
And the new LGD was chosen today! Won't come home for 2-3wks, though. The laziest, sleepiest, most mellow boy. Gonna call him Snorlax.
View attachment 35709
View attachment 35710
Correction. 3 blue, 1 chocolate *

Hi! I love reading all your updates! I was wondering something, and hope you don't mind me asking a question. As someone who doesn't keep great financial records of how far in the "red" I am (and needs to do a much better job of this), I was wondering if you account for the meat you put in your own freezer or feed to the dogs in any way. Do you "buy" it from your rabbitry and count it as money coming in? If so, how much per pound? I've wondered about how to do this, since that is meat we would otherwise be buying from elsewhere, so it seems like we should factor that in to the ledger. Just curious how you do this. Thanks so much!

Hi! I love reading all your updates! I was wondering something, and hope you don't mind me asking a question. As someone who doesn't keep great financial records of how far in the "red" I am (and needs to do a much better job of this), I was wondering if you account for the meat you put in your own freezer or feed to the dogs in any way. Do you "buy" it from your rabbitry and count it as money coming in? If so, how much per pound? I've wondered about how to do this, since that is meat we would otherwise be buying from elsewhere, so it seems like we should factor that in to the ledger. Just curious how you do this. Thanks so much!
Not the OP, and not raising yet, but I have put some serious thought into how I will log everything once I do start raising.

I plan to "buy" meat from the rabbitry based on the price of chicken in the store since chicken is pretty much what I will be using the rabbit for. So, butchered and dressed weight and then multiply by whatever the "average" price of chicken is at the time to pay myself for the meat. Since every pound of rabbit will be roughly a pound of chicken I don't buy, that seems like the most "fair" way to do it. I know rabbit is more expensive in the stores, but I don't currently go out and buy rabbit to eat so billing myself for "premium" meat isn't exactly fair either.

No, I don't do that.
I'm only counting what physical money comes and goes.

Not the OP, and not raising yet, but I have put some serious thought into how I will log everything once I do start raising.

I plan to "buy" meat from the rabbitry based on the price of chicken in the store since chicken is pretty much what I will be using the rabbit for. So, butchered and dressed weight and then multiply by whatever the "average" price of chicken is at the time to pay myself for the meat. Since every pound of rabbit will be roughly a pound of chicken I don't buy, that seems like the most "fair" way to do it. I know rabbit is more expensive in the stores, but I don't currently go out and buy rabbit to eat so billing myself for "premium" meat isn't exactly fair either.

I guess if I had to figure out cost saved by feeding to dogs, I'd do one scoop of kibble equals one rabbit.
Idk how many scoops are in a bag, though. Will have to do the math.
Maybe I should include that on a separate chart, to make me feel better about how much money is being poured into the rabbits. 🤔

I guess if I had to figure out cost saved by feeding to dogs, I'd do one scoop of kibble equals one rabbit.
Idk how many scoops are in a bag, though. Will have to do the math.
Maybe I should include that on a separate chart, to make me feel better about how much money is being poured into the rabbits. 🤔
I would do it by daily ration. if 1 dog would eat 1 scoop or 1 rabbit then that works out, if the dog would get 4 scoops or 1 rabbit then that doesn't really work out too well. You are still saving money I'm sure, with as little as you are "in the red" right now and the fact that you haven't been recording any of that.

Maybe figure out how many days you get out of a bag of dog food (on average) if you aren't feeding rabbit at all, then "buy" rabbits from yourself at some daily rate rather than by each rabbit or by pound (you don't always weigh rabbits killed and handed to the dogs I'm assuming) and I'm sure there would be times that a dog would get 2 small rabbits rather than a large one or a large would feed 2 dogs (not sure how big your dogs are).

I would do it by daily ration. if 1 dog would eat 1 scoop or 1 rabbit then that works out, if the dog would get 4 scoops or 1 rabbit then that doesn't really work out too well. You are still saving money I'm sure, with as little as you are "in the red" right now and the fact that you haven't been recording any of that.

Maybe figure out how many days you get out of a bag of dog food (on average) if you aren't feeding rabbit at all, then "buy" rabbits from yourself at some daily rate rather than by each rabbit or by pound (you don't always weigh rabbits killed and handed to the dogs I'm assuming) and I'm sure there would be times that a dog would get 2 small rabbits rather than a large one or a large would feed 2 dogs (not sure how big your dogs are).
Yes, that's what I meant by one scoop equals one rabbit.
But summer is coming and they'll eat as little as half a scoop. Lol

Made a bunch of new tags for all of the tagless buns.
20230511_105154.jpg20230511_110619.jpg

Weighed Onyx & 14 kits, then one each of the smallest went into the cull cage, leaving behind 2 & 3 kits to keep growing.
20230511_112613.jpg20230511_112608.jpg20230511_123306.jpg

Last edited:
Moved Amber kits out.
And realized I didn't make a grumpy kit sign to put up.
Will have to move out speckle kit and other older ones soon.
....I've got too many rabbits....

20230512_095621.jpg20230512_095624.jpg20230512_095638.jpg

Hah, yeah, not really worth counting the rabbits as money saved as dog food.

45# ÷ 1.6.3# = 27.60 meals per bag.
55$ ÷ 27.60 = $1.99 cost per meal. Not including tax.

How many have I fed to the dogs; whole, 2 buns of scrap w/eggs per dog & lost nests w/half kibble?

Way too hard to figure out. Maybe 60, mix of whole, scrap & lost kits in all. Only $90 or so.

Hung the end buck cage. It was damaged from day one & slowly sinking, making removing/adding the bottom tray now impossible. So, they're up off the ground enough to fix the problem.
20230513_201450.jpg

Also removed the back panels, now the summer breeze can come through, making it a bit cooler for them.
20230513_201432.jpg

Weighed all the growouts out of nests. Posed the weaned ones.
Phone stopped recording randomly, so I have to redo some.
Put 4-5 in the cull cage.

Back