Not new, but returning!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
😑
And weight dates are off.
Had zero time yesterday.
Then it's storming today, so wet, cold then hot n muggy, dark all day even with lights.

So, weights will be tomorrow, for 7 of the 8 litters!

Gotta also wean Grumpy's kits, as they're 7wks & 2 days old.

Busy day tomorrow. I don't expect any of the butcher kits to be a bit over 5# this week, but the two keepers should be at least 5# tomorrow. I want them a bit over because feed & water in the digestive tract takes up a bit of weight.

Got weights, but when I started on the heaviest litter, I noticed scale was way off. 3# when it should of been mid to high 4s!
Ugh. Now idk if everyone's weight is accurate or if I have to redo it.

I've bought several different hanging digital scales, they all fail in 6-12mo! Kept in the house, clean, fresh batteries, but still die. Idk if it's worth it to try the $50+ ones or not. I hate these table scales.

Redid weights on two litters. But first, I built a shelf, the most level thing in the barn.
I need a shorter stand for the clear bowl.
20221112_131523.jpg
Previous week's weigh-ins vs newest of today. They make more sense now.
Video Collage Maker_CcrxSG.pngVideo Collage Maker_J7GuJ5.pngVideo Collage Maker_GZFLug.png

Looking into getting these two pedigreed standard Rex bucks soon. Hoping they're a good shape, no S.P. and willing to breed!
One or both will end up replacing the Rex/NZ mix buck.
View attachment 32337View attachment 32338
Things started to sound scammy, so this is a no-go.

Still waiting on SF breeder.
And waiting on a few different Rex breeders, through FB as well, for what they may have available in several weeks.

In other news. May have a home for the choc mini rex doe, finally! Sure hope they show up & take her!

Swapped cages, Grumpy with the smaller black SF half sister. She's due Saturday.

Need a nice day to cut up and join cages for more 2×4ft pens so i can stop swapping cages.

Swapped smaller SF's nest for a metal walled one, as she was ripping the cardboard off. 🙄

Saw 24" pans at TSC and decided to see if they'll fit. They did! Just need 18 more of them....Last two stackers are about an inch too narrow to fit them, so I'll have to find the weird white trays the company uses or something else. Just missing one of those. They're Pointer Hill cages.

Also, decided to get bread pans for water vs the bowls. We'll see which work best.
20221118_153214.jpg20221118_151125.jpg

Amber's kits, always keeping themselves in a cloud!
20221118_151729.jpg

Swapped smaller SF's nest for a metal walled one, as she was ripping the cardboard off. 🙄

Saw 24" pans at TSC and decided to see if they'll fit. They did! Just need 18 more of them....Last two stackers are about an inch too narrow to fit them, so I'll have to find the weird white trays the company uses or something else. Just missing one of those. They're Pointer Hill cages.

Also, decided to get bread pans for water vs the bowls. We'll see which work best.
View attachment 32506View attachment 32507

Amber's kits, always keeping themselves in a cloud!
View attachment 32508
Is your drop down box lined with metal, or made of metal? I recently made drop down boxes for mine out of 1/2 x 1 wire and then the weather got really cold. I lost the litter that mom put in there ( I was on vacation so I couldn’t line it with cardboard). I heard some line them with cardboard. Of course this mom wouldn’t consistently make a nest anywhere and was very wishy washy and kept building in the corner and not the drop down box. So she had pulled all the hay from the box to the corner and then when the temperature plummeted she decided to move the kits to the drop down box (which I’ve never seen before) and they froze. Do you have any cold weather tips, or tricks on how to get them to use the box right?

Is your drop down box lined with metal, or made of metal? I recently made drop down boxes for mine out of 1/2 x 1 wire and then the weather got really cold. I lost the litter that mom put in there ( I was on vacation so I couldn’t line it with cardboard). I heard some line them with cardboard. Of course this mom wouldn’t consistently make a nest anywhere and was very wishy washy and kept building in the corner and not the drop down box. So she had pulled all the hay from the box to the corner and then when the temperature plummeted she decided to move the kits to the drop down box (which I’ve never seen before) and they froze. Do you have any cold weather tips, or tricks on how to get them to use the box right?

I have DIY exterior nests. Metal mesh and most I've lined with metal flashing, as the mesh holes are 1" and kits could get out.

https://rabbittalk.com/threads/exterior-nestboxes.35398/

I wonder if the freezing temps & being "out of water" has affected some. 🤔
Sexed most of them, too.
Two of the broken black does are pretty similar in size, looks like I'll be posing them again and deciding if I still like the slightly darker one.
One buck is ready for freezer! He's black, the one that has a terrible shape and always does bizarre things when trying to pose him. 🙄
20221119_164457.jpg20221119_164503.jpg20221119_164510.jpg20221119_164516.jpg20221119_164520.jpg
Gotta remember to weigh her kits first. She bit me because I smelled like others. 🤦🏽‍♀️
20221119_164526.jpg

Keep filling smaller SF's cage with hay. She made a little hole in the hay in the nest, but not seeing any real pregnancy behaviors. Added fur to the hole and waiting again. 🤞 Hoping they don't freeze...20s each night last week & this week.

I don't think she's pregnant.
Grumpy is due Friday. Will swap them back if the other doesn't kindle soon.

Sold the mini choc doe, finally.
Looks like I'll have to butcher Wednesday. But warm, so I'll have to get some cages joined that day, too.

Grumpy's kits that I'm listing.
I'll keep watching how the other three grow and pick the best doe.
20221122_134845.jpgScreenshot_20221122-123423_Video Player.jpg

Still nothing from the smaller SF doe. Going to list her. Trying to stay much more serious about culling & only keeping the best.

The pedigreed buck seems to have a partial s.p. Another con on his list. Will definitely replace him once I find a new one.

SF had kits all over the place, ate them, no fur, no nest, frozen as stone, so didn't try to revive the least eaten one. Have someone interested in her, so going to go through with it if they still want her.

Sold 7 kits!
Only have 2 left of the older litter to butcher today. Blue buck and broken black doe. She's the other I was debating on which is best. She seems to have a slightly worse topline, so she's going.
All four of the 2nd litter sold. The 3 does I kept, I'll watch their growth & shape.

I think I'm going to turn one of those 5ft cages into a holding cage for sale buns...because there wasn't much room today.
20221123_094226.jpg

2nd litter, 3 does to watch. Black might win.
20221123_105050.jpg

The 1st litter buck n doe.
20221123_163449.jpg20221123_105118.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back