Not new, but returning!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you make a blank chart and laminate it, you can update it immediately with a dry erase marker every time you move a rabbit. I have found that to be invaluable when handling 150 cage colonies.
Yeah, I had that thought, too. But I keep moving the cages around. 3rd time in 1.5yrs!
If I can't sell the two 3hole stackers, I'll replace the floors and put them in the rabbitry. And the 2hole will go over the other twohole. So, can't laminate it until I stop playing musical cages....lol

I realized that I should get sticky notes to put in the "holes" for now, for litters and such. In pencil now.

Getting this guy, pedigreed Rex buck. Still waiting for a doe to pair him with, she's gotta have better shoulders & loin.
View attachment 38012View attachment 38013View attachment 38014

*sigh*
Heard from breeder that his sire's breeder doesn't want offspring of his sold with a pedigree. Ugh.
He'd be a little cheaper without it.
To get him or not....
I need the growth, need! So, I guess I'll still get him? Idk, I'm still mulling it over....

*sigh*
Heard from breeder that his sire's breeder doesn't want offspring of his sold with a pedigree. Ugh.
He'd be a little cheaper without it.
To get him or not....
I need the growth, need! So, I guess I'll still get him? Idk, I'm still mulling it over....

Ugh.
I need a 2nd pedigreed buck...Turning this one into one will take a lot of breeding and money and time, but then it'll e related to my others. Ugh....to pass and loose the rate of growth or to get him and get another buck, but for certain pedigreed....Couldn't sleep last night thinking about it. 😵‍💫 What do I do!

Ugh.
I need a 2nd pedigreed buck...Turning this one into one will take a lot of breeding and money and time, but then it'll e related to my others. Ugh....to pass and loose the rate of growth or to get him and get another buck, but for certain pedigreed....Couldn't sleep last night thinking about it. 😵‍💫 What do I do!
I vote holding out for what you actually want. 3+gen to get him off your pedigree is probably as long as it would take to get the same amount of size increase his 3rd gen offspring would offer, if you just breed a ton and cull hard within your herd--and I know you can cull!

If you do get him, you could breed him to your best biggest doe, and line breed her to her son, and keep NOTHING else from the cross. Then sibling sibling crosses and cull hard again--but it would be so risky to have a herd sire buck that inbred, but at least he would not be related to anybody but the doe.

I would just widen my search area, because that is easier to me. You are in virginia, not on an island! :)

I vote holding out for what you actually want. 3+gen to get him off your pedigree is probably as long as it would take to get the same amount of size increase his 3rd gen offspring would offer, if you just breed a ton and cull hard within your herd--and I know you can cull!

If you do get him, you could breed him to your best biggest doe, and line breed her to her son, and keep NOTHING else from the cross. Then sibling sibling crosses and cull hard again--but it would be so risky to have a herd sire buck that inbred, but at least he would not be related to anybody but the doe.

I would just widen my search area, because that is easier to me. You are in virginia, not on an island! :)
I won't travel far for rabbits any longer, and transportation is expensive with too much risk.

Unless I'm outcrossing to sf, there is no size improvement. Heck, some of the sf seem to be shrinking! Ugh.

Weighed a bunch. Separated some, moved 4 cull bucks out. Forgot my knife, so they're going tomorrow or whenever I remember to bring it.
20231204_144112.jpg

The Blu line is so small, still. Other than adding sf, I either keep trying, cull or add a new rex buck. Ugh.

Choco kits
oct 30, 5wks
broken foster buck 2#
lilac doe 2.2.9#
choc doe 2.0.2#
choc buck 2.10.9#
choc buck 2.4.9#

11's kits
oct 29 5wks
broken doe 2.4.9#
bpue buck 2.1.8#
black doe2.4.5#
black buck 1.12.8#
black doe 2.3.1#
black buck 2.1.8#

14's kits
oct 27 5wks
black doe 2.4.2#
black doe 1.3.6#
black buck 1.15.8#
black buck 2.9.3#
black buck 2.4.2#

Freckles×Rivian, Sep 11
12wk, 3mo
Broken black buck 5.4.8#

Darkie's kits
sep 9, 12wk, 3mo
blue doe 6.0.1#
black buck 5.14.9#

Xoh's kits
oct 26, 5.3wk
black doe 1.11.0#
tort doe 1.12.3#
broken black doe 1.14.1#
broken black buck 1.4.6#
broken tort doe 2.4.8#
broken tort doe 1.15.8#
broken tort doe 1.11.9#
broken tort buck 1.12.6#

Zero×Swirl
sep 17, 11wk, 2.75mo
broken black doe 5.15.1#
black doe 6.0.8#

Quin kits
Sep 4, 13wk, 3.25mo
Blue otter doe 4.13.9#
Blue otter buck 5.1.9#

Kitty×Baymax
aug 14, 15wk, 3.75mo
blue otter doe 4.3.2#
broken blue otter buck 4.2.0#

Zero's kit
aug 15 15wk, 3.75mo
black otter doe 5.9.0#

choco×torty
aug 15, 15wk, 3.75mo
chocolate doe 6.10.5#

Screenshot_20231204_154706_Video Player.jpgScreenshot_20231204_150518_Video Player.jpgScreenshot_20231204_154721_Video Player.jpgScreenshot_20231204_154737_Video Player.jpgScreenshot_20231204_154830_Video Player.jpgScreenshot_20231204_154837_Video Player.jpgScreenshot_20231204_154751_Video Player.jpgScreenshot_20231204_154800_Video Player.jpgScreenshot_20231204_154807_Video Player.jpg

Last edited:
Was only able to get one culled, and it was a rex buck I've been questioning. Ended up keeping the sister & culling him for dog food.
Dug up more water bowls and added extras to several cages.
Tossed black doe, sis to broken black, into cull cage to butcher with the other 4 tomorrow.
Gigi failed, bred again.
Blue rex doe, Jessi, now has 2 nests and making a mess. Pulled fur, but waiting for kits still.
Tanya, broken freckles mutt, feels bred, destroyed 2 rebuilt nests. Ate all the hay, shredded the cardboard and ate most of it. Ugh, wtf.

Scheduling pickup on the rex buck. Having all of these tiny ones, gotta add some size! 16wks and still teeny!!! Unacceptable! It's gonna change. Will see who else I could cull out. He's looking better this week. Hope he keeps improving!
received_2077959099229485.jpegreceived_887171239302380.jpegreceived_1055515295764655.jpeg

I should add, a lot of breeders will not sell pedigreed rabbits to meat breeders. So, that cuts the list down a lot. Just ran into one of them again, only 30min away, but won't sell pedigreed unless going to a show home. 😵‍💫

I should add, a lot of breeders will not sell pedigreed rabbits to meat breeders. So, that cuts the list down a lot. Just ran into one of them again, only 30min away, but won't sell pedigreed unless going to a show home. 😵‍💫
I've always thought this was a fairly misguided approach... It's understandable to me to prefer not to sell top animals to meat homes, but a blanket refusal to sell any stock at all to a meat breeder seems counterproductive. After all, in the meat breeds, good show rabbits are good meat rabbits, and breeders always have culls. I suppose having a low-information meat breeder trying to sell "pedigreed" substandard rabbits can hurt the breed image and undercut the original breeder's efforts and profits. I certainly see a lot of rabbits being sold as "satins" that are a far cry from what I'd hope to see in the market. But meat breeders, if they are breeding toward quality, can help improve the breed just as well as show breeders, especially if they're going to the trouble to pay for and keep pedigrees.

I have sold nice Satins to people who wanted to breed for meat, but then fell in love with the obviously better quality of the purebred Satins and ended up in the show community! For example, here's an email I just received from woman whose daughter was inspired to show the Satin meat rabbit breeding stock I sold her, and took home two Best in Shows in a row:
"Anyway, we were delighted to have the opportunity buy your beautiful rabbits, and my daughter is excited to try to breed her own market pen this year… though now I expect the babies will be more suited to the show table than the dinner table- ha! Good problem to have!"

On the other hand, I have sold numerous good rabbits to people who claimed they wanted to show, but then basically seemed to fall off the face of the earth.

We have seen the show community of Satin and Polish breeders explode in the last few years as we sold rabbits to anyone who appeared to offer a good home. Other breeds, belonging to breeders who'd paid a lot to bring them up, and who wanted to keep them "exclusive" by only selling to "serious" people for lots of money, have faded away.

The other thing to think about is that given rabbits' generation time, it does not take long to create your own line of pedigreed rabbits. In fact, when I bought my original Satins I could not afford to buy them with pedigrees. I just kept track of the breeding history and within two years I had fully pedigreed rabbits. So if you can get good-quality culls without pedigrees from a successful breeder, it can actually be a good (and less expensive!) way to go.

People are bloody crazy and psycho! So, fixed the floor and stand on the better shaped 3hole stacker and put it in the barn!
Moved the 2hole over the other 2hole.
Now I have 7-8 open holes! 😅 Oh, no. I need less, not more, buns!!
Added a 4th light, too.
20231206_151548.jpg20231206_151600.jpg20231206_151554.jpg20231206_151555.jpg

Last edited:
So sad, first case of spina bifida! 😱😭
Screenshot_20231208_120514_Video Player.jpg
Screenshot_20231208_122942_Video Player.jpg

Culled the broken black buck in the big tort litter, he was a runt.
Xoh × Swirl
20231208_110626.jpg

11 × Cinder/Swirl
20231208_110423.jpg

Choco × Baymax
20231208_110316.jpg

Tanya × Baymax
She's been destroying nests. Took it down for a day, put it back today with a wood bottom. She started carrying hay, so I gave her a 2nd cardboard nest just in case.
20231208_111511.jpg20231208_111525.jpg

Jessi × Baymax
9 kits! So far, doing great.
Screenshot_20231208_123124_Video Player.jpg

Darkie kits. Fat n happy
Screenshot_20231208_123007_Video Player.jpgScreenshot_20231208_123043_Video Player.jpg

All these pics of pink babies! Mine always seem fuzzy. Wonder if it's the silver fox breed or our cold climate. Ash & Cinder's born last nView attachment 38099ight

You know...I think some of my sf have more furred litters sometimes. 🤔 I know if they bake for longer, they'll have more fur and their colors are more obvious. Choco's previous ones looked fluffy at birth.

Got the 5 culled & pelts in the freezer.
Really need to stop trying to sell them. People are 99% window shoppers, time wasters.

Still waiting on the black sf cull to finish growing in his fur.

Tanya had 7 kits!! Sire Baymax.
Had them in her 2nd nest, cardboard one. Had to take them out to add more hay to cushion them better. She's just like Jessi, needs 2 nests. One to sleep in, poo in and the other for the kits. Wtf. Lol
Screenshot_20231210_121552_Video Player.jpgScreenshot_20231210_121602_Video Player.jpgScreenshot_20231210_121649_Video Player.jpg

Jessi kits, one is definitely an otter.
Screenshot_20231210_122121_Video Player.jpgScreenshot_20231210_122134_Video Player.jpg

That's good to know that because my doe that I bought the nice nest box for and lined with cardboard and set up with lots of cushioning, was like "For me?! Sweet! I have a new bed and I'm just going to poo and pee in it instead of getting up because it's SO comfortable!"

Then after all that work I found out she was not pregnant...

Latest posts

Back