Not new, but returning!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Forgot the pics yesterday.
The 2 bucks. Left has better profile, but right has better top and rear photos. Better loin and shoulders more broad. And his silvering is coming in.
Kept the one on the right.
Video Collage Maker_RzAhbS.png

And the buck/doe siblings. Keeping both.
Buck, black tort
Screenshot_20231118_073818_Video Player.jpgScreenshot_20231118_073841_Video Player.jpgScreenshot_20231118_073847_Video Player.jpg

Doe, blue tort
Screenshot_20231118_074101_Video Player.jpgScreenshot_20231118_074046_Video Player.jpgScreenshot_20231118_074330_Video Player.jpg

Moved the water over and lowered a bit, then the two 3hole stackers.
20231118_120328.jpg20231118_120334.jpg
Kits are out of nests!
Only two are bucks in this litter!
20231118_121948.jpg
The broken is a foster.
20231118_122154.jpg
Grouchy doe and a blue kit
20231118_122217.jpg
Everyone. Other broken is fostered to Choco.
20231118_122235.jpg
So friendly.
20231118_122319.jpg

lLeft their nest, since its inside and they're on the ground.
20231118_122357(0).jpg20231118_122400.jpg

Ordered these to hopefully help reduce water wastage. 🤞🤞🤞
Screenshot_20231118_125311_Chrome.jpg

Looks like it'll be a freezing winter....ugh. Getting the walls up asap. Water freezes every night.
Noticeably warmer now!
But need to move in the last buns and add to door/wall.
Close ceiling beams, close gable type end, enclose water bin and open it to the room, eventually stuff wool into the bags in the pallets.
20231120_160233.jpg20231120_160239.jpg20231120_160243.jpg

Last edited:
Only 5 of 14s kits have lived. Idk wtf went wrong this time. 💩 certainly is hitting the fan, and the walls and floor and everything else. Lol

Got everybun except 2 in the closed area of the barn!
Technically have a split cage that the last two could go into, but don't have a pan for one half of it.
So, they're outside hooked up to the mini auto water.
Added a 3rd light, too.
20231122_110538.jpg
Blue rex doe.
20231122_111313.jpg
Black sf buck, he's refusing to breed. So, I'm trying to get him interested again before caving in and culling a 3rd pedigreed sf buck! 🤬🤬🤬😭🤞
20231122_111321.jpg
Three culls. Waiting on silvering to finish, then they'll go or sell before then.
20231122_112536.jpg20231122_112539.jpg20231122_112557.jpg20231122_112701.jpg20231122_112709.jpg

Is the silvering just interesting for pets or is it a showable color for a non silver fox breed? If so which one(s)?

You have soo many cool colors, remind me, are you breeding for show stock or pet/meat stock? I am usually in the latter camp, but with all your posing I assumed you were aiming for show stock? Your fun colors are making me want to return to meat mutts for the nestbox surprise factor, lol!

Is the silvering just interesting for pets or is it a showable color for a non silver fox breed? If so which one(s)?

You have soo many cool colors, remind me, are you breeding for show stock or pet/meat stock? I am usually in the latter camp, but with all your posing I assumed you were aiming for show stock? Your fun colors are making me want to return to meat mutts for the nestbox surprise factor, lol!

There's only two breeds with silvering; silver fox and champagne.
Silver Martin, in usa, has silvering, but nothing like the two breeds above. Just some on the sides.

Breeding for meat that fit breed standard, but also 2 projects in the sf world; the Alaskan red fox, which is just a black tort with high rufus, and the broken sf.
The Rex, I'm trying to get size and speed of growth up, as it's abysmal in general in my area.
I don't like litters of all black, I love color.

There's only two breeds with silvering; silver fox and champagne.
Silver Martin, in usa, has silvering, but nothing like the two breeds above. Just some on the sides.

Breeding for meat that fit breed standard, but also 2 projects in the sf world; the Alaskan red fox, which is just a black tort with high rufus, and the broken sf.
The Rex, I'm trying to get size and speed of growth up, as it's abysmal in general in my area.
I don't like litters of all black, I love color.
There are currently five silvered breeds accepted by the ARBA Standard of Perfection:
Silver (by far the oldest of the bunch, accepted in black, brown and fawn)
Silver Fox (accepted in Black and Chocolate, with Blue under development)
Champagne D'Argent (black only)
Creme D'Argent (orange only)
Argente Brun (chocolate only)

A sixth is in the process of being accepted to the standard: Argent St Hubert (agouti colors).

The Silver has a snappy flyback coat, the Argent breeds have flyback/commercial coats, and the Silver Fox has a stand-up coat that is unique to American rabbit breeds.

Last edited:
There are currently five silvered breeds accepted by the ARBA Standard of Perfection:
Silver (by far the oldest of the bunch, accepted in black, brown and fawn)
Silver Fox (accepted in Black and Chocolate, with Blue under development)
Champagne D'Argent (black only)
Creme D'Argent (orange only)
Argente Brun (chocolate only)

A sixth is in the process of being accepted to the standard: Argent St Hubert (agouti colors).

The Silver has a flyback coat, the Argent breeds have rollback/commercial coats, and the Silver Fox has a stand-up coat that is unique to American rabbit breeds.
The last 4 are the same breed, just different color, as far as I found. So I don't count them as separate breeds. 🤷🏽‍♀️

The last 4 are the same breed, just different color, as far as I found. So I don't count them as separate breeds. 🤷🏽‍♀️
You can call them whatever you like of course. But many people rely on the ARBA SOP for defining breeds, and the ARBA definitely considers them separate breeds.

Champagnes, Cremes and Bruns have separate and different standards. As you can see below, the weights differ as much as the weights do among any other commercial-type breeds, and each of the Argente breeds has their own particular set of priorities. (And not appearing in the SOP are breed-characteristic temperaments.)

Drawn from the ARBA SOP:
Argente Brun Sr. Bucks 8-10 lbs, ideal 9lbs....Sr. Does 8.5 -10.5 lbs, ideal 9.5 lbs
General Type 50
Fur 15
Color 20
Evenness of Color 10
Condition 5

Champagne D'Argent Sr Bucks 9-11 lbs, ideal 10 lbs....Sr. Does 9.5 -12 lbs, ideal 10.5 lbs
General Type 55
(Hindquarters 20
Midsection 15
Shoulders 15
Head & Ears 5
Feet & Legs 0)

Fur 15
Color 20
Condition 10

Creme D'Argent Sr. Bucks 8 - 10.5 lbs, ideal 9 lbs....Sr. Does 8.5 - 11 lbs, ideal 10 lbs
General Type 60
(Body 50
Head 3
Ears 3
Eyes 1
Feet & Legs 2
Tail 1)

Fur 15
Color 20
Condition 5

To even be considered as a separate breed, any line of rabbits proposed for recognition by the ARBA has to be distinctly different from all current breeds, as judged by several panels of ARBA judges, and must breed true to the proposed standard. According to the SOP, any new proposed breed, group or variety must have "qualities of individual merit unique to itself, identifying it as a separate breed, group or variety."

One could argue that Californians, New Zealands, Palominos, American Sables, Cinnamons, Blanc De Hotos, and American Chinchillas are all the same breed except for color differences: they're all commercial types within the same weight ranges, with commercial fur (though Am Chins and Am Sables have rollback fur, and the others call for flyback). In fact breeders will sometimes use one of those breeds to improve another one of those breeds, but each of those breeds has distinct enough characteristics to merit its own breed clubs and its own page in the SOP.

Last edited:
You can call them whatever you like of course. But many people rely on the ARBA SOP for defining breeds, and the ARBA definitely considers them separate breeds.

Champagnes, Cremes and Bruns have separate and different standards. As you can see below, the weights differ as much as the weights do among any other commercial-type breeds, and each of the Argente breeds has their own particular set of priorities. (And not appearing in the SOP are breed-characteristic temperaments.)

Drawn from the ARBA SOP:
Argente Brun Sr. Bucks 8-10 lbs, ideal 9lbs....Sr. Does 8.5 -10.5 lbs, ideal 9.5 lbs
General Type 50
Fur 15
Color 20
Evenness of Color 10
Condition 5

Champagne D'Argent Sr Bucks 9-11 lbs, ideal 10 lbs....Sr. Does 9.5 -12 lbs, ideal 10.5 lbs
General Type 55
(Hindquarters 20
Midsection 15
Shoulders 15
Head & Ears 5
Feet & Legs 0)

Fur 15
Color 20
Condition 10

Creme D'Argent Sr. Bucks 8 - 10.5 lbs, ideal 9 lbs....Sr. Does 8.5 - 11 lbs, ideal 10 lbs
General Type 60
(Body 50
Head 3
Ears 3
Eyes 1
Feet & Legs 2
Tail 1)

Fur 15
Color 20
Condition 5

To even be considered as a separate breed, any line of rabbits proposed for recognition by the ARBA has to be distinctly different from all current breeds, as judged by several panels of ARBA judges, and must breed true to the proposed standard. According to the SOP, any new proposed breed, group or variety must have "qualities of individual merit unique to itself, identifying it as a separate breed, group or variety."

One could argue that Californians, New Zealands, Palominos, American Sables, Cinnamons, Blanc De Hotos, and American Chinchillas are all the same breed except for color differences: they're all commercial types within the same weight ranges, with commercial fur (though Am Chins and Am Sables have rollback fur, and the others call for flyback). In fact breeders will sometimes use one of those breeds to improve another one of those breeds, but each of those breeds has distinct enough characteristics to merit its own breed clubs and its own page in the SOP.
Cool. Not going to argue with you, I don't care about other breeds. At the end of the day, they're just rabbits made by humans, whose standards change as the judges preferences change.

$397 in the red plus 10 in bun sales.

Currently $387 in the red.

Got 3 does bred, all lifting sky high. One was Unity, she was supposed to kindle, but using nest as toilet, so put her with a buck.

Freckles × Cinder
Unity × Rivian
Vickie × Baymax

Waiting on Darkie & Rusty to kindle. Then Freckles' doekit.
Next week, bluerex & Darkie's doekit.
Following, lynxmutt doe, Lynx & Zero.

The sf buck that has been refusing to breed finally got the job done, 5×! Had to put him in solitary, far away from the rest, and he's now willing to breed again. 🤦🏽‍♀️

Last edited:
Auto water is still a joke. If it doesn't dump all the water in a day or two, it freezes solid.
Installed bowls for all to be refilled daily.
20231129_125709.jpg

$387 in the red. Then 400 in feed.
18% is actually cheaper than the 16%, wtf...

Currently $787 in the red.

Darkie had 9 kits!
Rivian/Baymax sires.
The hues make me think that they're Baymax kits. 🤔
Screenshot_20231130_140826_Video Player.jpgScreenshot_20231130_140836_Video Player.jpg
Nothing from Rusty yet, though, she made a nest the first day. Rusty was bred to Cinder.

Rusty had her kits! Holding out on having them, as they're fuzzy!
But just 5. 😑 Sire is Cinder, home grown buck.
She's being overly protective, too. Guess another doe to put on the gotta sell list! Hope there's a keeper in here!
Screenshot_20231201_133133_Video Player.jpg

And Darkie's kits. The pastel looking colors scream Baymax to me!
Screenshot_20231201_133220_Video Player.jpgScreenshot_20231201_133227_Video Player.jpg

Also posed & weighed three blue bucks I had kept back.
Immediately, one is listed for sale. Mark is a month older and a pound lighter. Plus those terrible shoulders.
On the plus side, Zippy is looking really nice! Wide shoulders on a buck, finally! Loin is smooth, but could use more width.
And then Day, he's in between. A cull, I think. I'll have to keep a kit from Rusty's new litter. Will list him.
Video Collage Maker_fA1X8x.png

*phew*, that will open up 2 holes!
And I need to cull the 2 in the cull cage still. 3rd hole will be available.
If I had a poo pan for the top stacker, I'd have 4 holes free afterwards. Darn. Not paying 15 for shipping a single tray!

And redid my chart, which tells me which hole a rabbit is in. Really helpful some days.
20231201_140405.jpg

Latest posts

Back