New zealand flemish mixes

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TibsyRose

Tibs
Reaction score
Pros and cons of new zealand flemish mixes please? We will be adding a giant flemish doe to our other two meat rabbits (blue rex doe and new zealand REW buck) and I was curious.

I like them as terminal crosses, unless I am trying to fix one trait in either the Flemish or the NZ. I prefer using a NZ buck over a Flemish doe as I then do not have to worry about kindling with the Doe. The kits will mature faster than pure Flemish and will have a bit better meat to bone ration. Kits are usually sweet as pie and meet you at the cage door and then it is harder to process them later.
Edited to add: Smaller litter size is typical in this cross for me, though my Flemish does have large litters (12-17 kits per litter) with the NZ cross I typically had 6-10 kits in a litter.

I like them as terminal crosses, unless I am trying to fix one trait in either the Flemish or the NZ. I prefer using a NZ buck over a Flemish doe as I then do not have to worry about kindling with the Doe. The kits will mature faster than pure Flemish and will have a bit better meat to bone ration. Kits are usually sweet as pie and meet you at the cage door and then it is harder to process them later.
Edited to add: Smaller litter size is typical in this cross for me, though my Flemish does have large litters (12-17 kits per litter) with the NZ cross I typically had 6-10 kits in a litter.
Thank you!!!

Latest posts

Back